jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What are your views on corruption worldwide

1. Chesaline Kimani profile image60
    Chesaline Kimaniposted 13 months ago

What are your views on corruption worldwide

do you think corruption will ever be eradicated

2. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 13 months ago

Endemic in too many places and will always be with us. 

Now, I know people have different definitions of "corruption."  In the west, what we see as corruption may be business as usual in other countries.  Either way, it hurts the common citizen. The only way to fight it is constant vigilance through strong institutions and cooperation across borders. 

A great example is the Magintsky Act, that has recently passed in the U.S. and similar measures being taken in the U.K. and Canada.  It allows these countries to seize Russian assets in response to Putin's killing of political opponents.  I highly recommend the book  Red Notice by Bill Browder.

1. Chesaline Kimani profile image60
      Chesaline Kimaniposted 13 months agoin reply to this

nice. i like it and i will look for that book

3. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image88
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 13 months ago

'With great powers, comes even greater level of corruption' and that's not just the story for third world countries, more or less a global phenomenon. If I were to relate to corruption vis a vis situation in my country, then I wouldn't be exaggerating if I were to say - "It's embed in the genes".

There is no vaccine for corruption, it's a systemic rot that we shall never be able to get rid off  period

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 13 months ago

Corruption is worse when we expect it or tolerate it. Requiring transparency of businesses and government and having elected governments who are held accountable by being able to be voted out or impeached.
    This is why Communist systems like China and Russia quickly become corrupt with elite having access to the best housing, medical care, food - no one sees what they do and they can't be removed.