jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

In your mind at what point does conception begin?

1. bluesradio profile image76
    bluesradioposted 12 months ago

In your mind at what point does conception begin?

2. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 12 months ago

This is science. Individual mind doesn't enter into it. The moment the sperm meets the egg is the moment of conception. 23 chromosomes maternal and 23 chromosomes paternal collide and combine to split and form. This is conception.

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 12 months ago

Are you sure you mean conception? Science knows that answer as any pregnant woman will tell you. Do you mean when a viable human life begins?
    If that is so, I believe that no one knows for sure because human memories tell different stories, but I believe it is when the soul enters the body. Some people claim to remember being in their mother's womb, which the pro-lifers play upon, and some find that a total blank.
    I was at an "inner child" workshop recently when we were theoretically taken back to the womb state. Several people who had obviously been very close to their mothers claimed to have remembered this stage. I have early childhood memories going back to about 11 months old, but the living in the womb for me was an empty feeling. Up until this point my belief was that the soul entered the body after birth, and when good healthy bodies never took a breath, it was because there was no soul available for that body.  It is difficult for me to believe that a blob of cells can support a soul, so if the soul enters the body when still incubating, It would make sense to me that it would have to be in the later stages of pregnancy. I do not believe in the viewpoint that "the soul is grown with the body."

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 12 months ago

Marc....The answer has nothing to do with " what's in MY mind, your mind or anyone else's mind.   Conception begins when sperm fertilizes the egg(s).  It's clearly Science~biology-a human happening.
    You must be meaning to ask a different question about the reproductive system/activity.  Thus far, no one anywhere at any time has questioned, doubted or challenged the moment of conception. 
    There's plenty that human beings question, debate and argue about in terms of reproduction, the fetus, pregnancy & the progression of "life" and how or when it begins. These issues come up when man decides they want to play God.  At that point everyone from a drug addled homeless person to brilliant scientists, philosophers, Judges, average men, women and even idiots chime in with their findings, opinions, feelings & ideas.
    People bring everything & anything along with their voices to attempt to prove their points valid, factual, correct, acceptable & comprehensible data.
    It seems it's at that point, if one chooses to, they can offer "what THEIR mind" tells them, into the mix. 
    Somewhere in that mountain of information.....lies the truth.  From what we are led to believe, in this case, the truth is up for grabs....discussion, argument, acceptance, rejection. alteration & whatever else it is we humans can think of..........Go figure.

5. bluesradio profile image76
    bluesradioposted 12 months ago

The reason I asked the question was because of the recent NC Law.....should states be involved in these decisions...
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politi … 85709.html

1. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Marc..The crux of this article, calls 4 UR question 2B an entirely different question than the 1  U posted. U ask when conception occurs. The article concerns itself w/ "life." Due respect, U should have been more direct & specific.

2. bluesradio profile image76
      bluesradioposted 12 months agoin reply to this

That was kind of my point.  That the argument is really a false one.  And is really just a attempt to outlaw Abortion.  I really wish folks would be more direct.......

3. fpherj48 profile image76

U mean "Direct" like you were not in your question?  We can all answer questions, but few of us can read minds to know your POINT (?)  Face it, your question is misleading & non-specific.

4. bluesradio profile image76
      bluesradioposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Yes, I probably could have phrased the question better but I just remember a lot of this kind of misdirect, and not too fondly, when NC was fighting over the rights of Same Sex couples to marry a few years back.....

5. fpherj48 profile image76

In terms of controversial issues, there have always been those who fight FOR and those who fight AGAINST & there always will be. It's only a matter of numbers & strength, political clout & who wins in the end. It's one fight after another

working