Do you think a basic income should be given to those who lose their jobs due to

1. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 11 months ago

Do you think a basic income should be given to those who lose their jobs due to technology?

Why or why not?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13526488_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 11 months ago

Whether or not a robot takes your own job is very pertinent to you, but there is an even wider perspective:  the so-called 'Advanced Nations' already have too few full time jobs for the people wishing to fill them.   The problem being that we're looking at a 21st Century situation through 20th and even 19th Century norms.

With the advent of the Industrial Revolution there were jobs for all - most, bloody awful, but work nevertheless.   But has time has progressed, and even with the efforts of trade unions, we still look to full working weeks for all who are fully employed, e.g. 40 to 50 hours a week being the norm.

What we should be looking at now, I think, is either much shorter 'paid' working lives or, better, still very much shorter working hours.   For example, if it was mandated (and practiced by all) that each worker work for only two days a week, we'd could instantly have full employment (not counting those who cannot or 'will not work in an iron lung, so to speak)

Point is, we are getting towards a situation where it is getting harder and harder to get into a 'job for life,' or a career of our choosing.    Something has to be done.   Governments probably won't advocate it.  Employers won't either; not if they have to pay two or even three wages where they at present only have to pay one.

What's the answer?   That might simply have to evolve through a lot of angst over the next few decades.   But change things will, whether we like it or not.

1. Express10 profile image88
      Express10posted 11 months agoin reply to this

Excellent observations. I do wonder why so many seem complacent and are lulled into thinking they'll have a job or career for life. I hope it doesn't come down to angst and hope more individuals see & prepare for the changes ahead.

working