jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

What is the first thing you think of when you hear the phrase: "Conspiracy Theor

1. kwade tweeling profile image89
    kwade tweelingposted 6 months ago

What is the first thing you think of when you hear the phrase: "Conspiracy Theory"?

Or if you prefer: What is the first thing you think when you hear a conspiracy theory. Do you dismiss it outright or consider the information before making a judgement? Why?

2. Jeremy Gill profile image98
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 months ago

I consider the information, as not everything most people is true (the popular series "Adam Ruins Everything" discusses these). That said, I disbelief in the vast majority of theories I come across, as there's usually more counterevidence than evidence.

The first conspiracy theory that comes to mind is the infamous "the moon landing was faked" idea.

kwade tweelingposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I love "Adam Ruins Everything."

3. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 6 months ago

I always consider information but usually it ends up being a little far-fetched for me. I do tend to buy into the more fun ones despite my better judgment (like aliens at Area 51) because, well, they're fun. On the other hand I think a lot conspiracy theories can be harmful, like the Sandy Hook theories that have people harrassing families who have lost their children or vaccine conspiracies that have people not vaccinating their kids against deadly diseases... so my reaction really depends on the particular theory.

Taking any story and running with it before finding out what's true is typically bad.

4. Elyse Thomas profile image95
    Elyse Thomasposted 6 months ago

My first thought was the Sandy Hook theories that are forever floating around.  I definitely don't buy into that one, but I think looking at the information is always a good practice.  For example, is the theory based on actual evidence, or just playing on potential room for doubt?
    As a middle school teacher, I listen to Illuminati Conspiracy theories all day every day.  In general, I'm not a fan, but I think it is a good exercise in questioning.

Most conspiracy theories start because of some doubt.

I started looking into them for exactly the reason you mentioned. It's a great way to open your mind to asking questions. As long as you don't close it for them.

5. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

I'm curious when I hear someone say, "Conspiracy theory" and I don't have to know what that theory is. I want to know what is being given that label and then why. So, perhaps that means wanting to know the truth of the matter too.

That's a good way to look at it. A lot of interesting things have been labeled like that to discredit them, only to turn out to be true.

6. Cleo Burch profile image85
    Cleo Burchposted 6 months ago

I usually think of aliens, funnily enough, because I've seen so many episodes of ancient aliens and other history channel conspiracy shows just for the heck of it.

After hearing a theory I try to understand it from as many angles as I can. It really depends on the evidence the theory has to back it up. However, sometimes a theory sounds so probable that I can't help but believe it before even looking at the evidence.

I feel much the same. I used to dismiss them all, until I started learning about some that have been proven true. Now I have a fondness for digging through crazy ideas.

7. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 6 months ago

I think of people sitting around with tin foil hats on waiting for aliens to take them away. or area 51 and how it's changed over the years. When people throw these theories around most make me want to roll my eyes. The saddest and most ignorant is the recent sandy hook. IT was shear ignorance and lack of empathy or compasion that kept it going, that sickened me.

Thanks for the input!

working