jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

If the human life span was longer, or even indefinite, would they take better ca

1. Stella Kaye profile image89
    Stella Kayeposted 7 months ago

If the human life span was longer, or even indefinite, would they take better care of the planet?

If the humans lived much longer than they do, would they be more concerned about their impact on the planet? Would they be more inclined to preserve world resources rather than deplete them, or would they still take what they can and give nothing back?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13737063_f260.jpg

2. Ericdierker profile image55
    Ericdierkerposted 7 months ago

This kind of question always leaves me thinking that I live in an alternative universe. My home and my neighbor's home and my son's school are crazy about reducing, reusing and recycling. shoot, even the churches are wacko about cleaning our environment. My older son's band is doing a beach cleanup tour. We pay a lot of money for cleaner fuel in our cars.
    My son has an environmental class in second grade! We do about 3 Arbor days a year. Every open space has a "friends of". We recycle pee pee poo poo water. We have drought resistant landscaping. We have stay at home workdays to cut down on commutes. I could not even tell you the closest coal burning plant if there is one within 200 miles.
    We are major solar and wind providing power peoples. Billboards and TV  and Radio ads propound taking care every minute of our day. We simply have done away with the smog of 40 years ago.
    Where in the heck in the USA is it different? We should target those places and deal with it. But I do not know of any.
    Last I checked LA and NY air was very breathable. If I wash off my driveway and sidewalk twice a month -- the second time is clean still.
    What does the premise of this question expect out of me who does not commute, does not waste water and picks up trash and leaves no trace behind? Should I stop planting trees, stop not flushing the toilet every use? Should I wear my 3 year old clothes longer before washing? should my 16 year old car be replaced with a donkey?
    Just what is it that me and my neighbors are doing wrong?

1. wrenchBiscuit profile image83
      wrenchBiscuitposted 7 months agoin reply to this

For some, being born is a detriment to human kind. The best they can do for humanity is to die before replicating themselves, and to escape the wheel of life so that they may never return.

2. Stella Kaye profile image89
      Stella Kayeposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for your detailed reply but you haven't answered my question! You're obviously a person who cares about the environment but I'm afraid the ones who don't care are destroying   it.  You and others who do care are unfortunately in the minority.

3. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 7 months ago

If human life was longer or especially infinite, then humans would have to either quit having babies or at least have less. That would be a must, and even now, they should start having fewer kids. The world will NOT support the current growth rate for a long period of time.

4. wrenchBiscuit profile image83
    wrenchBiscuitposted 7 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13737247_f260.jpg

They don't need to! The Earth itself is a sentient parasite. I have no sympathy for the Earth, but only human kind. I do not know if all planets in the universe are parasitic, but this one has proven itself to be nothing but a sadistic and heartless parasite. If physical life must continue, then our concern as a species must be to find a new and more hospitable home. At that point, the utter destruction of the Earth would be a blessing to mankind.

1. Stella Kaye profile image89

Apart from not answering my question, you've introduced an entirely new topic! There's nowhere else like earth as far as we know to support life in all its rich diversity. Humans may never find a better world than this and the distances are too vast!

2. Ericdierker profile image55
      Ericdierkerposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Stells your comment here and the answer made me kind of wake up. Longevity seems not the issue as I am very committed to conservation.
      But my much younger children are double that. (well except my oldest) Interesting quirk.

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image83

I did answer your question from an elevated perspective. If I lived a million years I would not care for this cesspool of a planet. Please watch a video of a pride of Lions eating an antelope alive, and witness the "rich diversity" of the food chain.

4. Stella Kaye profile image89

So what would be your ideal planet? One where everyone and everything was vegan? I posted a question on this subject:

https://hubpages.com/education/answer/2 … life-forms

5. wrenchBiscuit profile image83

I will check the link. My ideal is self-sustaining energy or directly from the sun. Vegan is not acceptable since a plant must still be killed and transformed. Furthermore, that sort of processing still creates human waste, which is disgusting!

working