Trump signed EO making Poor Work for their Assistance. To What Point?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (36 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image86
    My Esotericposted 5 years ago

Here is the set of facts that apply to the question:

* Most of those receiving assistance who can work, do work
    * Unemployment is at historic lows meaning very few jobs available
    * Most jobs today that are open require more than a high school degree with many needing a college diploma
    * By and large, where the poor are, the jobs aren't
    * Trump is not referring to children, the elderly, and the disabled which make up the vast majority of assistance recipients. (those groups account for 80% of recipients for SNAP)
    * The average amount of assistance per person has decreased while inflation is increasing
    * Kids get about $127 if food assistance a month, the disabled about $103, and $107
    * 82% of recipients worked one year before or one year after receiving assistance

So, what is the problem being solved here?

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Guess what  ?  Trump signed exactly the same type of law into effect -----as Bill Clinton did in 1996 !

Message -Get a Job !

My Esotericposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Differences -

* Clinton signed a law, Trump an executive order
      * Unemployment was 6.1% under Clinton then, it is 4.1% today, big difference
      * Clinton created federally supported retraining support systems which are still being used effectively under Trump
      * The effect of the Clinton law was to shorten time spent on public assistance. Today it is the lowest it has ever been (time on PA, that is)
      * Many unskilled jobs were available in the mid-1990s. There are relatively few unskilled jobs available today.

and the list goes on.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your "list " is really an ugly picture of  unreality , Obama was the" welfare in chief " his policies  of" economic stimulus " was of the  doubling or tripling of welfare roles , from free 'Bama phones to SSI disability roles .....
        The Obama Legacy !

So you think the Great GOP Recession of 2008 had nothing to do with burgeoning welfare roles?

1. profile image0

Ever heard of the Gulf War ?

That was, of course, a non-sequitur reply unless you are imply the Gulf War was responsible for the Great 2008 GOP Recession rather than piss-poor GOP economic theory.  If that is what you are implying ... WRONG.

2. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey, why don't you google "free cell phones factcheck" and see what you come up with?  When you continue to perpetrate a repeatedly debunked lie, it pretty much destroys your credibility on everything else, so I'm sure you would like to correct your statement about "free 'Bama phones." After all, you wouldn't want to spread falsehoods, would you?

Sorry, I don't really have a comment on the OP of the thread, just wanted to drop in to correct  the falsehoods being perpetrated.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
            GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

" ... just wanted to drop in to correct  the falsehoods being perpetrated."

aha! a monthly keyboard poke - applied bi-m0nthly!

GA

1. profile image0
              PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Noted. big_smile

2. profile image0

It is no" lie " that under Obama  that entitlement roles increased  , minority role  status remained as before him or even worse , SSI disabilities increased , spending and debt all but doubled ......etc.

Had Bush remained in office, then you would be saying the "It is no" lie " that under Bush  that entitlement roles increased". Your point is pointless because it doesn't matter who the president was, because of the Great 2008 GOP Recession, entitle roles would have increased. 

I have no idea what you mean by "minority role  status remained as before him or even worse" - I have never heard of someone who was a minority changing their status to "majority".  It is possible, I suppose, that you mean Latinos becoming the majority ethnic group in America some time in the future. If that is the case, are you blaming Obama for white people not procreating enough or Latinos procreating too much?

Ditto with SSI disabilities.  Are you saying it is Obama's fault that more people are having disabilities that qualify for SSI assistance? Or are you saying Obama changed the regulations that made it easier for disabled people to get assistance?

Finally about spending.  It sounds like you prefer the do-nothing response conservative governments of the past took to past major downturns. It sounds like you would have preferred a depression worse than the one in 1929.

1. profile image0

First , Obama's increasing of SSI  disability roles were for trivial and misleading reasons, people without permanent ailments got "on the system " as permanently disabled easier than ever before ,    welfare roles increased ,other numbers  for instance, black youth unemployment roles increased in % and never dropped .

Two , my point on 'minority roles and status' , they did not improve under Obama's leadership ,period .  Race relations worsened , illegal  immigration  and associated problems , drugs, gang activity , sex trafficking , child trafficking  and so minority welfare roles as in all minority exploitations increased .

Three , Economics ;    He outspent and so over-indebted our nation more than all combined previous US presidents . There is no argument that can justify the intentional  tearing apart of the U.S. from inside our borders ,  Abe Lincoln  said   " ......the greatest possible enemy of the U.S. will come from within  ............". How little he knew then that ,that will be the largest remembered characteristic of the Obama legacy .

I could go on.

"Obama's increasing of SSI  disability roles were for trivial and misleading reasons, people without permanent ailments got " - REALLY? And your proof is? While you are trying to find it, let's put your claim to the test.
                    ---- During Obama's 8 years as President, SSI roles grew by 7.5%
                    --- HOWEVER, during Bush's 8 years as President, SSI roles grew by ... drum roll ... a whopping 14.8%!!!!
                    ------ NOW, do you want to change your mind? (facts are a terrible thing aren't they)

So how about your Point 2.
                    ---- Illegal immigration.  By 2015, the number of illegal immigrants living in the U.S. was LOWER than when Bush left office (I suppose you won't give Obama credit for that)
                    ---- Gangs - Between 2006 and 2012 for the following categories, the number or rate actually FELL or remained the same:
                    - Gang member migration from outside the US
                    - Gang member migration within the US
                    - Intragang conflict - increased 9 percentage points from 2006 - 2009; increased 5 percentage points from 2009 - 2012 (Bush did worse)
                    - Emergence of new gangs
                    - Intergang conflict (remained constant)
                    SO TELL, why do you think Obama did a terrible job when it comes to gangs??

Sex Trafficking - Who knows? The data is all over the place. What is known is convictions and reporting are up due to an emphasis placed on bringing sex-traffickers to justice throughout the Bush and then Obama administrations.

Economics - "He outspent and so over-indebted our nation more than all combined previous US presidents ." - ACTUALLY, that is a false statement even when talking about real dollars rather than inflation-adjusted dollars. Show me your data that makes your claim true.  In any case, by the end of Obama's presidency, by almost every measure, America was better off than under Bush. (I can provide you a series of my hubs that prove that point)

Yes, you could go on with your false claims.

3. profile image0

The left always  ignores the fact that the impending inauguration and entire two terms of the Obama administration sent corporate America into a tizzy , a downward  spiral of no confidence pre-2006 and never actually recovered until the  Trump victory in the 2016 election .   Corporate investments , hiring , diversifying , all suffered until the Hillary defeat,... a Hillary win implied that there'd be 4-8 MORE years of obama no- confidence stagnation .  Trump sent corporate confidence on an expedition of hiring , reinvesting ,  returning to Americanism - to this day  ignored by those who have no understanding of corporate inner workings.

Now exactly how do you figure that??? Or did you forget that Obama began his presidency in 2009 (and not 2006) on the cusp of a major corporate turnaround. It was the GOP who "sent corporate America into a tizzy , a downward  spiral of no confidence " 

Here are some actual FACTS that should burst your bubble (although you will probably call them Fake News:

* Obama was responsible for the longest job growth in history
      * Obama was responsible for preventing a depression
      * Obama turned around the stock market in March 2009 and had its longest bull market in history which is showing signs of stopping under Trump
      * GDP under Obama grew from Bush's $14.1 Trillion to $16.8 Trillion in 2016
      * By the end of the Obama administration, unemployment was below historic norms.
      * Obama produced more jobs in each of the following years, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, than Trump did in 2017
      * Corporate America was betting on a huge tax give-away which resulted in the large stock market run-up prior to GOPTaxScam. It is now almost down to what Obama's numbers would have been if the market continued on its trend.
      * Corporate investing is no different than from under Obama

There is no question the world would be a much safer, happier, prosperous place had Hillary won.

1. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Esoteric, Ahorseback has some sort of compulsion/phobia regarding Obama. He could be Jesus and he could not, while saving face, give him any credit. Laying the facts out for such a sort is a waste of time. We just have to scrub out that loathsome stain/strain and all that it represents for next November's midterms.

I know, but it gives me an opportunity to look things up reiterate the truth of the matter.

2. profile image0

When an elected  President of the U.S. acts out and presides over our nation more like a  Czar than a traditional U.S president  then YES ; I have a problem with that , as many real Americans also did and do ,  Your whining estimation of my ideological difference and political savvy is childlike and immature at best and lacks depth of maturity  .

I'm not surprised .

You are talking about #TerribleTrump, aren't you since Obama NEVER acted that way.

"as many real Americans also did" - so you are saying 60+% of Americans aren't real?

2. Credence2 profile image79

When an elected  President of the U.S. acts out and presides over our nation more like a  Czar than a traditional U.S president  then YES ; I have a problem with that , as many real Americans also did and do ,  Your whining estimation of my ideological difference and political savvy is childlike and immature at best and lacks depth of maturity  .

I'm not surprised .

What is this "Real American" stuff? Is is something from the rightwingers playbook?

Who made YOU real and everybody else false? That is the real elitism. The majority voted in President Obama, what make you think that you so much smarter then they? Is it along the line of Trump and his "great brain"?

1. profile image0

Obama was the most anti-patriotic acting president in American history ,  I say anti-patriotic because unpatriotic - just doesn't fit  Obama's hatred of traditional American government . He worked against constitutional basic governing , Reagan said "....tear down this wall ...." Obama acted out ".....tear down this constitution....." Reagan cherished the U.S. government structure and balance , Obama stacked the deck of departmental balance ,  corrupting in Alinsky form all the important and not so important departments of government offices ........

I say here what many in the center and right  thinking and you're ignoring  , Obama took democrats on a trip to Mao land Disney  , politically speaking ,  you're hanging onto his dying non-legacy as we speak simply  just holding onto the horrible political past .
              Trump followers ; ignore  and deny it all you want , are the new progressive party  .

That is utter nonsense, but again you can have whatever it is that "floats your boat".

It is definitely having nothing to do with any "center", your observation  is as radical Right as it gets and therefore can have NO credibility among reasonable people.

1. gregas profile image81
                  gregasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

REAL AMERICANS support their president even if they didn't vote for him. Even the people that didn't vote for Obama still supported him. Even though he was a flag burner in college.

Gregas,

While "mister military muscle", Trump, draft dodged. And so it goes, even people who did not vote for Trump support him as well, just not as many. I would not want to ask what What a dandy like Trump did while in college. I don't like to judge people today based on what they did as adolescents. Is that the way you see yourself?

The Term "real Americans" is a loaded one, a definition first offered by the political sage, Sarah Palin. It was clear that in her definition, those that did not support conservative dogma, were not included.

2. My Esoteric profile image86

Gregas - "Even the people that didn't vote for Obama still supported him. " - REALLY?? lol. What world did you live in.  In my world, if you were a white male Republican, you did NOT support Obama, instead, you insulted him every chance you got. The same is true for many white female Republicans. The GOP attack on Obama was the nastiest political hit job since the Adams-Jefferson election.

2. My Esoteric profile image86

Once again, ahorseback, you are describing #TerribleTrump.  Obama's actions are the opposite of what you think.

(Oh, BTW, historians are currently ranking Obama as the 12th best president in 2017 and 2018.

4. profile image0

Obama and his news media followers decided early on that they could never compete with the real standards of truth and honesty by today's [then ]  standards and statistics so they actually created their own truths. How in the world he ever got his followers however to believe them is a matter for modern physiology but then academia and blind liberals will fall for anything if they're not actually taught to stand for something .
    Sorry , you hold no blame but just telling it like it is .

Again, you are speaking about #TerribleTrump and not President Obama.  I know there is nothing Substantial out there to support your false assertions. In Fact, Obama was one of the most Honest and Trustworthy presidents this country has EVER had. Possible exceptions might be Jimmy Carter and maybe Abraham Lincoln.

So, prove me wrong if you can. (Don't bother bringing up the "you can keep your Dr." which was what judges call puffery; it is similar to Trump's claim that "We enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history.". Everybody knows neither statement was true, just political exaggeration.

1. profile image0

Listen to yourself , You are telling me I'm actually speaking of Trump and not Obama
        there is your quintessential Obama brainwashing in a nutshell , telling me what I'm thinking .
        See , EXACTLY what I mean ?

Your response cleanly shows you don't understand sarcasm.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)