Is Obama a good president?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Happylovejoy profile image91
    Happylovejoyposted 8 years ago

Is Obama a good president?

I don't live in the states so it would be interesting get a feel of how people living there think of him..did you personally benefited from his presidency?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12901436_f260.jpg

2. profile image54
    Jackson2121posted 8 years ago

Obama was probably one of our worst presidents. He did way more bad than good.

3. profile image55
    peter565posted 8 years ago

At least Obama's policy on Middle East is better then Bush. Bush was very arrogant and greatly under estimate his opponent, which cause him to make number of error in judgement. Also his lack of understanding and prejudice towards the Middle East, cause further bad policy, to make matter worse, he created bad blood with Iran, which should have be a good ally and is strategically in an important position. I can't say whether Obama's policy is the best, but the fact he have no prejudice towards the Middle East and have a good understanding, allow him to make better judgement on the issue, whether his policy is the best?  I don't know.

But I have to say one thing. "Obama is cool"

1. profile image54
      Jackson2121posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Obama gave away the position of the team that killed Osama ben Laden. That caused them to be killed.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ISIS couldn't have taken up a permanent home without Obama.

3. lovemychris profile image74
      lovemychrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ISIS is run for the state of Israel
      Arrest Netanyahu, problem solved.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

ISIS wouldn't exist if Obama had a better plan than to just leave Iraq.

5. Jackie Lynnley profile image81
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Obama loves the Middle East, that is where his heart is and it doesn't take much to see it by his actions and denial of what is really going on.

6. lovemychris profile image74

Excuse me? No idea what you are talking about. Care to elaborate? I do know Adelsons heart is there. And he supports Rubio. Citizens U. Big Money Boyz. Make Trump look like a scrounge.

4. MonetteforJack profile image70
    MonetteforJackposted 8 years ago

Personally, I would say Americans were short-changed by the Obama Administration. The only ones who benefitted from his terms are him and his cohorts.  Obama presidency foremost ruined America's safety, economy and values of freedom and liberties. He is dividing America in terms of race and religion. In my book, he'll go down as a bad, bad, really bad president.

1. Besarien profile image73
      Besarienposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How is America less safe than it was the day before 911 when Bush was in power? When Bush left, unemployment was at 7.8% now it is around 5% which is lower than when Reagan left office.  It really is all in how you look at it.

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
      tamarawilhiteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The unemployment rate is only 5% because it doesn't count the 15% on disability, not counted because they couldn't find a job in two years or stopped looking.

3. MonetteforJack profile image70
      MonetteforJackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Ms. Tamara.  And Besarien, I think it is not how you look at it; it is how you comprehend the facts.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image81
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Of course you are right Monette; no one with a brain could say he will go down as anything more than the very worst. He has done all he can to hurt us. Only those who can be bought are for him. We will see what that free phone really costs one day.

5. MonetteforJack profile image70

Thank you, Ms. Jackie. And what you pointed out is very true.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

Does the state of our country today, look like we had any good presidents. This declining US started in the 70s with the fake oil shortage by the Middle East.

It took all the politicians and presidents from that time till now to bring the US to its knees. As for president Obama C minus D plus. He had a great opportunity in his democrat controlled government during his first two years, to address the economy and the failure of the government to control the financial industry and the other too big too fail businesses.

Taking the troops out of Iraq created the opportunity for ISIS to grow, and take territory.
    We could have learned a lot from Bin Laden, if he would have been taken alive. The taking of Bin Laden almost duplicated the failure of Jimmy Carter with Iran.
    Obamacare didn't affect the Federal Employee Health System, but it did cause millions of people in the private sector to lose their health insurance and force them into Obamacare insurance. These insurances were more costly, and had higher catastrophic deduction minimum.

It is now 5 years later, and Obamacare really isn't in full effect. The health industry is in chaos trying to comply, and at the same time the insurance companies are making a bundle. Obamacare is nothing like the National Health Service in England. They negotiate the drug prices there, while in the US the drug prices are ridiculous in comparison.

Is Obama a good man? Yes, I think he is. Is he a good President? He's certainly not the worst.  He has had little ability to motivate Congress but is that an institutional problem or Obama's fault? Personally I think it is institutional greed.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

I gave my reasons on this question.

3. MonetteforJack profile image70

I totally agree with bradmasterOCal

6. lovemychris profile image74
    lovemychrisposted 8 years ago

Yes, but he's the wrong party and wrong skin color for the geezers who still run things. I think he is really kind, smart and tried to work for peace and cooperation whenever he could. It's incredible Trump says why not work w Putin...Obama has already done it, as well as Rouhani, who also wants a change in this war- mongering neo con world. Obama been wonderful for the invisible Americans, like me, and he always has a smile for the world. They can't change our direction now....most do not want to go back to war. Those that do are a dying breed, and hopefully will all be decrepit and drooling soon, like papa Bush. Long live youth and let them live long!

The ones who want war are never the ones who go. Maybe they will have a son/daughter or grandkid the right age but can get exemptions even if there is a draft. Poor young  people with too few opportunities outside the military fight/die the most.

2. lovemychris profile image74

Yes they do. And every single one running never served. Remember when that was an issue in elections? How things have changed. War is not going to be way of solving problems anymore. If they try it, they have another thing coming. Refuge of the fool.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Turning on our ally Israel, and provoking war with Russia. Causing the Benghazi attack because he messed with Libya. He also back ISIS in Syria. The list goes on  but my comment has a 250 char limit

7. Besarien profile image73
    Besarienposted 8 years ago

By nearly any standard our country is stronger than the absolute wreck that Bush left. Under Obama, unemployment went from 7.8 to10 down to less than 5 percent which is less unemployment than any recent (within the last forty years) exiting President left besides Clinton (at 4.2 %.) GNP and GNI are both up from when Bush left. The trade deficit is down.

On the energy front, American produced energy from so called green energy(solar, wind, tidal, geothermal) is up 252% and energy from oil is up 94% That's right! America produces 94% more energy from oil than under G.W. Bush.

We are generally better liked in the world than under Bush who was a mental deficient at conducting foreign policy, even with our own allies. Plus, we are mostly out of two extremely wasteful, open-ended, utterly pointless wars. Sure, we still have problems there. That happens when you invade other countries, topple foreign leaders, and further destabilize already volcanic political regions. There is no putting a Band-Aid on it afterward. Healing relations after even one war takes a lot of time. We started two simultaneous wars under Bush both aimed at majority Muslim populations.

Under Bush, these wars were conducted off the books much in the same way Mafia wars are conducted. Under Obama much of the formerly black ops spending now is accounted for in the actual defense budget.

He also tried to reform healthcare in this country to make it affordable to everyone. He could not get anything close to European healthcare which is what he wanted, because conservatives, Republicans, lobbyists, corporations, insurance companies and other big money interests all wanted a piece of the pie for themselves.

Obama will be remembered as a reformer. Obama has been effective in implementing policy only when making end-runs around Congress to get his goals advanced. Was he over-stepping the bounds set by the Constitution, yes, but is using the same framework other Presidents have used to do the same thing.

The steps he made are steps toward a stronger, less corrupt, less warlike, less pathological America. Whether his vision is lasting or not will depend on who we next elect and how effective they are. Will the next President nurture the seeds Obama planted or will they dig up the whole garden and plant and nurture something else there entirely? That's up to voters, the electoral college, and the slim pickings of viable candidates.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Obama will be remembered as a closet Muslim, and Muslim sympathizer, He gave ISIS their country ISIL. He is bringing in hundreds of thousands of Muslims from Syria that are not vetted and ISIS says they have put terrorists in those groups.

8. PerryJames1 profile image58
    PerryJames1posted 8 years ago

I'll try to actually answer the question instead of blaming the world's problems on someone else.
    I didn't vote for President Obama, because I have a litmus test that I use for ANYONE, regardless of who they are, or what color they are. Senator Obama failed that test.

Even though I didn't vote for him, I  had high hopes for him. I really hoped that having a black President would bridge the racial divide that is alive and well in this country. It didn't help that at all, and in fact, probably made the chasm greater. That is pretty sad that the first black President has never seemed to attempt to narrow that gap. I can't help but think that if I had been in his shoes, that is part of the legacy that I would want attached to my name. Sadly, that apparently wasn't a part of his "Hope and Change" for America.

This part didn't START with President Obama, but illegal immigration has just gotten totally out of control. President Obama HAS enabled illegal immigration more, by allowing more taxpayer money to flow into immigrant's hands. Because everyone wants cheaper labor, so allowing the millions of illegals to come in, and have the benefits of American citizens serves two purposes...it gives lawmakers cheaper gardeners, housekeepers, remodelers, etc., and the entitlements to non-citizens sets the stage for new voters when the USA lets non-citizens vote. Bad policy for those taxpayers who work themselves to the bone to exist, and in my opinion, exploiting the immigrants.

Obama claimed that because of George Bush, the whole world hated the USA. He claimed to strive to bridge that gap as well. Guess what? MORE of the world hates us, or at least laughs at us. They can see how foolish and weak we have become.

I have more to say, but need the word space to answer how Obama's rule in the Whitehouse has affected me. When Obama took office, I could survive on less money, as in ONE job. Now I am forced to work a second job, part-time to live just as meagerly as before.

The President promised lower healthcare costs, and came up with ACA (laughably stands for "Affordable Care Act"). He made several lame promises reguarding ACA, which were false. The most horrendous lie was that it would save every family $2500 per year. My premiums increased by 50%, and I don't qualify for assistanc. So...while so many people were supposedly helped by ACA, THIS person, who works to pay for THEIR coverage has NONE. Maybe I should get a third job, so I can have healthcare too.

9. Moms-Secret profile image76
    Moms-Secretposted 8 years ago

Like everything else, there are accomplishments and weaknesses.  My honest opinion is that he took on the numbers and was successful in those (unemployment, gas prices, etc.) but he wasn't successful in uniting us and strengthening us as a people or country and the price for that will be high.  Higher still is the price if a president that seeks to divide us is given the office.

10. lions44 profile image93
    lions44posted 8 years ago

Hard to rate a President while still in office. Think it takes a decade to see if there is any lasting achievement.   He has had a stabilizing effect on world affairs to a minor extent. However, his one failure has been a lack of effort to engage the GOP Congress/Senate.  He never had an interest in legislating even as a legislator. So that's no surprise. However, you should be able to get something done beside Obamacare.  No matter how obstinate the GOP is, an effort has to be made. 
      Reagan got it done with Tip O'Neil when the Dems were much more powerful nationally.  GHW Bush and Clinton also achieved legislative victories.  But the President's use of executive orders set a dangerous precedent (I include W in this as well).  We will look back on that as dangerous a generation from now.  The next President look to do the same.  Where does it end?

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Both parties need to change from blue and red to some shade of purple.
      Otherwise, the results of yesteryear will be repeated.

11. profile image53
    Everythingfootyposted 7 years ago

He is a very good one and he should never leave

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)