Einstein the Racist?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

So, we all know the revered Einstein was less than honorable about women. Now, evidence points to racism.

.https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jun/12/einsteins-travel-diaries-reveal-shocking-xenophobia

In our politically correct world we are obligated to trash his achievements. Can scientists, in good conscience, continue to expand on his theories? Anything he did must be flawed, right?

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like he was a flawed human, like most of us.

However, there is slightly more nuance than the article presents. I read the first chapter (the only free one): http://assets.press.princeton.edu/chapters/s11234.pdf

There's a part where he talks about Indians in Colombo:

28th. Yesterday evening we approached 〈Honk〉 Colombo with
      considerable delay. Before the coast came into view we got caught
      in a severe tropical storm with a cloudburst, forcing the ship to stop.
      When it brightened up around 9 o’clock, it turned out that we were
      near the harbor. A pilot drew near in a rowboat, and we soon docked
      next to another Japanese steamship. We saw here for the first time an
      elderly Indian, fine, distinguished face with gray beard, who brought
      us two telegrams and—begged for a tip. We saw other Indians as well,
      brown to black sinewy figures with expressive faces and bodies and
      humble demeanor. They look like nobles transformed into beggars.
      Much unspeakable pride and downtroddenness are united there.
      This morning at 7 a.m. we went on land and, together with the
      Du Plâtres, viewed the Hindu quarter of Colombo and a Buddhist
      temple. We drove in individual little carts that were drawn on the
      double by Herculean
      and yet so refined people. I was very much ashamed of myself for
      being complicit in such despicable treatment of human beings but
      couldn’t change anything.
      Because these beggars in the form of kings
      descend in droves on any foreigner until he has surrendered to them.
      They know how to implore and to beg until one’s heart is shaken up.
      On the streets of the indigenous quarter one can see how these fine
      people spend their primitive lives. For all their fineness, they give
      the impression that the climate prevents them from thinking backward
      or forward by more than a quarter of an hour. They live in great
      filth and considerable stench down on the ground, do little, and need
      little. Simple economic cycle of life. Far too penned up to allow any
      distinct existence for the individual. Half-naked, they reveal their
      fine and yet powerful bodies and their fine, patient faces.

This reads more like an observation of the oppressive state of the Indian people and his shame in being complicit. The article mischaracterizes that segment.

I don't think the article mischaracterizes his comments about the Chinese, but they don't come up in this chapter.

It should go without saying that none of this invalidates any of his accomplishments and discoveries.

Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that nothing should invalid his contributions. Just as being a flawed human should not invalid anyone else's. Unfortunately, that is not the case, in some eyes.

Just showcasing hypocrisy.

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think it's simply a part of modern culture completely  shallow in it's insights into the past .  Being totally oblivious to the not only the biases , prejudices , and social customs of the past  but the better parts of humanity as well .    Of course cultures ,customs ,marriages and  personal lives  were different decades ago some for the better and some for the worse .

2. Castlepaloma profile image77
    Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago

he famously stated that racism was a “disease of white people.”
    That sounds at least in the ball park for the last 500 years.

So, being a white guy, are you diseased?

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

By my many worldwide journeys, studies of world history, dating mostly non whites and a world citizen.  I' m cured of the White man Disease. Only pet pev is non uwhites think I'm very rich.

Where as predominate white empire like British, America Isreal and Russia. Still suffer and struggle with the greed of the whitemans disease. As every empire falls, the greed diesease gets controled and maybe some day there will be a cure.

roll

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"Only pet pev is non uwhites think I'm very rich."

You are.  You can support yourself, and with a reasonable standard of living.  "Reasonable" by the standards of Europe and North America: "Unbelievable luxurious" by the standards of most non-white areas of the world.  ("Most" means more than half - not 100%  Or 90% or even 60%).  You aren't starving to death and neither are your children.  You purchase clothing and live in a mansion.  You even have transportation and electricity.

Just visiting a third world country, they think you are rich because you can afford to come there. Everywhere I go they charge me a lot more than the local. A few time I have  lived in third world country, I get a loco friend to do my shopping, and best security is neighborhood watch

1. wilderness profile image95

Exactly what I meant.  And you ARE rich - none of them could afford such an extravaganza as your trip.

But isn't charging the "rich" more than the poor the accepted standard?  I'm somewhat surprised to hear you, of all people, complaining about the practice and doing what you can to get around it.

Can't avoid extra charge when I"m passing through.

The difference is when I am earning local money, it fair to pay local prices. Wnen prices can be 10 times more if you are white.  That is Discrimination  to whites when you are on the same playing field.

Careful castle. Sounding like you're having a relapse.

Lol!
                    I don't revenge, just ethicallly change up the game, and they respect me for it.

3. Castlepaloma profile image77

Mrpopo

I"m not racist of any kind, yet when I pick out some flaws of the whites history.  There is some white people who think I'm a white racist or reverse racist. A person who is not teamed up or onesided with their white race like the KKK accept is white in opposite. That is nonsense to me. First of all, I am white ,I"m  no better or worst than any other person or race.  Half of my family is white, who I love them all.

I understand where you are coming from. It's the term "reverse racism" that bugs me.

It's like saying being sexist towards men is reverse sexism, or being ageist towards young people is reverse ageism. It sounds nonsensical.

1. wilderness profile image95

Perhaps it's hatred of self?  No other people involved?

Hatred of own group would make sense. I've never seen it used as such though. And "internalized racism" covers that concept.

4. Castlepaloma profile image77

Got to love myself first, or how could I give love to others well.

Some think I hate Americans.
    I love Americans, it"s the Greedy white bastards I Don't Like. Like Jesus, it's money lenders bankers, he doesn't like.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

"It's the greedy white bast---ds"

Care to expound ?

2. Live to Learn profile image60

I don't remember any comments from Jesus on money lender bankers.

He may be talking about this:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Trump is building a huge super hiway to heaven for the wealthy. The Pope canceled hell, so where,  esle can they go.

Promises, promises.

2. Castlepaloma profile image77

money changer is a person or organisation whose business is the exchange of coins or currency of one country, for that of another.[1] This trade is generally thought to be the origin of modern banking in Europe.[2]

Ok. Money changers. He did talk about them. They weren't banks,thus the question.

5. Castlepaloma profile image77

Non whites are not known for greed. When non-whites are 86℅ of the world's population and more of them being born in the US than whites. Makes whites feel like General Custer last stand.

Greedy Bastards: white race whitehouse, Banksters, and Other Vampires from Sucking America Dry . Corporatecracy creates scarcity, toxic product for bottomline profits. I have.
    uncover their secrets society and their destruction aim of social values or provention for solutions. My healthy aims have  been disallowed by Government corruption and corporate cons.
    They keep harming the health care system, an age-old dependency on foreign oil, and a broken educational system. America has the opportunity to prosper, yet too comfortable with being bought off with tec, cosummers obesity and abuse.

Passionate discussion and and ethical policy, work better than fighting all the time. The entrepreneurial spirit is slowly coming back, to rebuild a new and better America, it deserves. After the greatest abusive fight of all times first.

Wall Street  is a rigged system and the secret is out. The  Zionist control alot of the world, not all. They are strong in Academic, finance and the media. They own the media. Politicians do our bidding. Wall Street is a Jewish shtetl. Hollywood moguls make secret deals in Yiddish. Jewish professors propagandize their students to support Israel. Jewish puppet masters pull the strings , they simply follow and indoctrinated schools to high office.

Personally I'm not going down that dark rabbit hole. Because too many have lost jobs, been harmed and murdered for the word Zionist.

The ethical side of real Jews are not Nationaism like Isreal and Trump.
    Israel is condemned at the UN more than all the other nations of the world combined. How they badly treat the Palestinians is insane.

Oh dear. Sounds like that "white" disease is acting up again.

6. Castlepaloma profile image77

Whites or Non whites got nothing on me. The white Greedy Bastards are really green cold blooded monsters. Majority of whites should be chasing them down,  not following them to hell.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)