Should We Seriously Consider Statehood for Puerto Rico ?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (21 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 5 years ago

Puerto Rico is making its biggest push for statehood in years, filing legislation in Congress that would make the island the 51st state by 2021.  But the push for statehood has not been wholeheartedly received on the island, where it is seen as a stable option that blends both sovereignty and federal support. In a referendum last year, 97 percent of those who voted chose statehood, but just 23 percent of registered voters cast ballots. The vote was seen as flawed and opposition parties boycotted.

What are your thoughts either for or against adding a 51st state ?

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am for it, we will have to redesign the flag to evenly accommodate 51 stars.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm for it also because if we don't, someday somebody may make another push to give Puerto Rico its independence. I was only a child when we gave independence to Cuba, but somehow I had a feeling that it was the wrong thing to do. Today you can look back and see the tragedy that happened with Cuba. I would rather see Puerto Rico firmly ensconced in the U.S. as a state than to have that happen to them.

1. IslandBites profile image90
        IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Huh? Cuban independence was recognized in the Treaty of Paris in 1898.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88

Sorry, but I wasn't around in 1898 but I was when we finally released our hold on it in the 1950s. The U.S. was so prominent and influential in Cuba that most of the U.S. didn't recognize that Cuba was independent. Kind of like Trump's recognizing Jerusalem the capital of Israel today.

"Cuba slowly and saucily made its way to the mid-20th century under continued American dominance."

http://remezcla.com/culture/cuban-indep … explained/

Believe me, I know.

(After Cuba made them.)

1. GA Anderson profile image89
              GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Okay, explain yourself young lady!

I enjoyed that linked article's writing style. The information was basic, (at least to me, as I was/am unfamiliar with Coo-bah's history), but entertainingly presented. An enjoyable read. I am jealous of that author's abilities.

So ... what does your comment mean?

GA

(I dont know why but I can't edit quotes.)

"when we finally released our hold on it"
                After Cuba made them. (Cuban Revolution)

1. GA Anderson profile image89

... and the "believe me I know" part?

ps. Do you import the quote first, before you type any reply? For me, the imported quote is right there for editing - as long as I import it first - before typing anything.

GA

Yes, I know how to do it. Thanks. But the page changed yesterday and no longer have that option. hmm

"Believe me, I know" because that's my MA, Caribbean History. Plus, as a Puerto Rican, I know about the kind of US "hold".

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Oops ... that import function isn't around in the new format. I will miss it.

GA

2. MizBejabbers profile image88

I don't think Cuba made the U.S. do anything. Batista had become so corrupt and also stolen U.S. dollars that the U.S. no longer supported him. Castro won the revolution and built his own army. The U.S. and the Soviet Union were involved in the Cold War. The next thing we knew, we had Soviet missiles 90 miles off our coast pointed at us. President Kennedy announced a blockade to prevent any more missiles from entering Cuba. We were at a standoff, and people here began building bomb shelters in anticipation of nuclear war. (and teaching their kids to "duck and cover")  The whole thing really wasn't that simple, especially to those of us who lived through those scary days. Decades later it was announced that we had been within about 3 hours of nuclear war. Certain U.S. agencies wanted the war, but Kennedy bluffed (not sure that is the right word) the Soviets into backing down.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-his … ile-crisis

This is a very simplistic synopsis and I've left out a lot, but there are some other good articles on this time in our history. Yes, the U.S. had "holds" on some less powerful countries, but if we had not, then the other superpower, the Soviet Union would have held them as they did Çuba. I've known some Cuban boat people who fled to this country, and do they have some stories to tell!
                This is exactly why I am for keeping Puerto Rico and allowing them to become a state.

3. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Several months ago I said give it to them. I assumed our relationship implied that we had an obligation, if they so chose. But, finding that the courts do not consider that relationship a harbinger of statehood, I'm inclined to say no.

What does Puerto Rico have to offer the other 50 states? What will they bring to the table to offset costs involved with their inclusion?

RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The infrastructure is in shambles and the government seems incapable of handling even the smallest social tasks.  Many people point toward the recent hurricane as a catch-all excuse, but remember that the island's water and power systems were both "broken" before any weather issue hit.  Also, the island's economy is heavily controlled by a black market that only deals in cash or barter.  My vote at this point would be no.

I realize that Puerto Rico has a broken infrastructure, but I believe that we should protect any interests we have in this hemisphere. Cuba and the Panama Canal are some good arguments for this. Even Bill Clinton who argued tooth and toenail to get rid of the Panama Canal, when President Carter was in favor of getting rid of it, publicly admitted that giving it up was a mistake. His arguments to get rid of the canal were very similar to the arguments you are making about Puerto Rico today, i.e. it was a money pit of an albatross.

RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I believe we should keep it as a territory, but not elevate it to a state.

4. GA Anderson profile image89

Hi RJ, I have an emotional response for you.

Yes. we should, but, I think that grant should be conditional - as in ahorseback's comment.

I say it is an emotional response because I can see no economic or social benefits to doing so, but ...

We used Puerto Ricans, and their island nation, when it benefited us, and we did it under the implication of future statehood.

It's time to pay the piper. If we are to be a nation of its word, then statehood must be an opportunity for Puerto Ricans because we led them to believe it was.

GA

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

RJ.    I believe that Porto- Rico has to be fully brought up from being a third world country  at least to a majority extent before the US government assumes the awesome responsibility of  paying their way into statehood .   I'm talking mostly about their political corruption  , what happened to all of the aid money that went there?      Allegations of government corruption abound there .   It has for some time.

No statehood until some major" Americanization "occurs in their leadership . Otherwise we watch , monitor and listen .

Puerto Rico, like many countries south of us is a study in mismanagement. Apparently, it's debt crisis goes back much farther than I had thought. This article (link below)  is a very good explanation of it. If I'm reading it right, a lot of U.S. investors could be in deep doo doo if the country goes belly up. I had the misimpression that a lot of their crisis was caused by the infrastructure devastation. It goes back much farther as to why the electrical grid and other infrastructure was so weak in the first place.

http://theweek.com/articles/614667/puer … -explained

However, that article seems to be wrong about Puerto Rico's not being eligible for bankruptcy, according to this one below, but it agrees that Wall Street investors will be hurt, and trickle down to the little guy via reduced or wiped out pensions, etc.:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 … 731091001/

Both articles, among others, do bring out what one calls a "massive" emigration" of Puerto Ricans to Florida. These people are U.S. citizens who can't vote for president as residents of Puerto Rico, but they can vote in presidential elections when they reside in the U.S. That could have an effect on our future national elections. Perhaps Republicans should consider that because it is likely they will vote for the candidate most concerned with giving welfare to them. I could be wrong about that, but who knows where they stand politically?
      I still worry about the idea of a country hostile to the U.S. moving in and taking over a chaotic country if we don't keep them in some form. A dictatorship or drug lord-run country would be likely. Their residents are quick to consider the U.S. "controlling", but when U.S. territories like them behave irresponsibly and are corrupted yet expect us to pick up their tabs, this country has no choice but to try to control them. If they were a state, they would have to obey our laws and would be subject to U.S. auditing practices and courts. There is no doubt that we have corruption in the U.S., but not on that grand scale.
      I'm not sure where my feelings on statehood for Puerto Rico stand anymore.

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Every state , country,  territory , every sovereign nation in the western hemisphere that reaches out to the US for help will eventually get that help .  including legal or illegal immigration from these nations , Somehow the "two party" conscience of America always demands  action , we will pay dearly for the disasters that arise when they do arise , just by humanitarian standards ;  And these corrupted governments know this very well, including Puerto Rico's.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)