Senate rejects Trump's border declaration

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 11 months ago

Senate passes resolution to overturn Trump's national emergency declaration

The Senate delivered a high-profile rebuke to President Donald Trump over his signature agenda issue Thursday when 12 Republicans joined Democrats to overturn the President's national emergency border declaration.

The vote was 59-41, an overwhelming vote against the President's executive action.

The 12 Senate Republicans who voted in support of the resolution were: Roger Wicker of Mississippi, Marco Rubio of Florida, Rob Portman of Ohio, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Roy Blunt of Missouri, Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Mitt Romney of Utah, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Jerry Moran of Kansas and Mike Lee of Utah.

The resolution now heads to Trump’s desk, where he is expected to use the first veto of his presidency to defeat it. Neither chamber has the votes to override the president, who tweeted shortly after the vote was closed:

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

VETO!

What now? Is he going to veto? Do you think this and yesterday rebuke by GOP members will have any negative consequence for Trump? For them?

2. IslandBites profile image87
    IslandBitesposted 11 months ago

He just tweeted:

Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

I look forward to VETOING the just passed Democrat inspired Resolution which would OPEN BORDERS while increasing Crime, Drugs, and Trafficking in our Country. I thank all of the Strong Republicans who voted to support Border Security and our desperately needed WALL!

We'll see.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 11 months agoin reply to this

He done dunnit, as many of his supporters would say. No if, ands, or buts about it. Speculation ended.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … nd=premium

The question needs to be updated to "since the Congress allegedly doesn't have enough votes to override, what will his opposition do?"

At this point, that seems to be up in the air.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image43
        Miebakagh57posted 11 months agoin reply to this

Hi,  all, I am a Nigerian, and lives in Nigeria. OnTwitter, I am one among many who vote for the building of the wall. 

Later, I read an article by Rupert Taylor on HubPages.That offers much information as to the pros and cons of building a border wall in all countries in the world.

Now, I am inclined to think according to constitutional rules that the president has the last card to play. Any right thinking person may correct me if I am wrong. Thank you. Wishing you all a great weekend.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
    Live to Learnposted 11 months ago

I have no problem with the Republicans who voted against the declaration of the national emergency. I don't see it as a denial of the problem with illegal drugs flowing unfettered across the border. I don't see it as denying the problem with out of control illegal border crossings.

The vote reflected a question of whether or not the move was within the power of the office of the President. A fair concern. There has been great debate about that. No matter how much of a crisis may exist, if this is beyond the bounds the power of the office it will be a dangerous precedent to set.

Just different opinions on what a president can and cannot do. If you let one president you back do what you see as an abuse power then you run the risk of the next you don't like doing the same.

Hi, live to learn, every American President has the veto power constitutionally. Yeilding it for good is not an abuse of power. Whether the fence boarding is debated or not by the public or the House, one thing is clear. Senate does not want it to pass into law. The President acting for good of the public can veto it.

Now, if this happens, and the public did not like it, they have the right to throw President Trump out of office sooner, or later.  This is a basic constitutional principle.

Senate Opposing the passage of the bill have a hidden agenda. Some of these lawmakers may be protecting their drug cartels. Thank you.

1. Live to Learn profile image81
        Live to Learnposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I'm certain all people have different motives, some good some bad. However, constitutional scholars are in disagreement on the president's power to bypass Congress on funding this project.

I am firmly in support of a border wall, however, I also question the act of allowing a president to claim an emergency in order to bypass Congress. Is it a danger to the separation of powers? I have no problem with a process which would probably end up in the Supreme Court, in order to get clarification on the constitutionality. If Trump moves forward, unchallenged, I can assure you future presidents will use that as a precedent. Perhaps, for things I don't consider an emergency.

No one is questioning the veto power of a president, nor should any question Congress's right to attempt to over ride that veto. That's our democratic process.

I do think implying that anyone in favor of the Republicans voting with the democrats in this are somehow in league with drug cartels is a bit asinine and libelous. The question at hand is much larger than border security.

Again, although I support the purpose of a wall I also understand why some who support the idea can't support the manner the President is proceeding. What cost are we willing to accept in order to get our way? What would the long term ramifications be of allowing a president such power, if such power is ultimately deemed unconstitutional?

Getting your way is not worth the cost of fundamentally changing our structure of government. We need clarification on this issue. Without it our country will remain divided. 

My personal opinion is if the Supreme Court were to judge Trump's action unconstitutional the right would accept that graciously. If it deems his action constitutional the left will go bonkers. But, we'll have to watch the water under the bridge rise higher, in the later scenario. The constitution should take precedent over those who think the constitution only has power if it pushes their own agendas.

Hi, live to learn, if the matter is challenged in the constitutional court, and the court gives the green light, what is the take then as regards to the public, the Senators, and the the the precedent any future president will copy? Thank you.

Let's think. The majority in Congress disagree that an emergency exists. If it is considered constitutional for a president to declare a national emergency and act on that declaration, what else could a sitting president deem a national emergency, without congressional agreement? Anything? Everything?

Presidential powers under the auspices of a national emergency include (but are not limited to) martial law, shutting down the internet, spending federal funds. It is dangerous and would be a nightmare if the wrong people were in power. We could find ourselves under the jack boot of a tyrant.

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 11 months agoin reply to this

"The majority in Congress disagree that an emergency exists."

Do you think this is actually true?  Given that some in those hallowed halls actually ARE promoting nearly unlimited immigration of anyone at all, do you think there is a majority that find no problems with millions of illegal aliens violating our laws every year? 

Or are they just toeing the party line in order to keep their job while giving a slap at their current nemesis - a President of the wrong party?

In general, I don't think those people are stupid - IQ less than, say, 80, which means they KNOW there is a crisis whether they will say so or not.

Of course it's political posturing. They're fishing for votes. But, the majority do stand against him.

live to learn, you are welcomed. It borders much on self centered-ness I think.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image43

@ live to learn & wilderness, this is a highly sensitive issue. Challenging, opposing, and dividing. The human aspect is what seems most difficult. And, it seems now boarders more on logic than reasoning. Every thing can now be a state of emergency. Boarder + Fencing =Emergency (financing); Education + Financing =Emergency, and so on.

What worries my mind much is this is a nation I respect much. It sets the precedents for democracy, and its structure is now at logger head. Gods own country, God forbidden! Thank you.

I guess we are at loggerheads now. We'll muddle through. We always have.

1. wilderness profile image96
                    wildernessposted 11 months agoin reply to this

I tend to think the the biggest emergency of all is that our legislators have lost sight of what our country is and what it needs.  Not positive, at all, that we are able to muddle much more without losing everything.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)