Executive Order For College Campus free speech. What do you think?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Readmikenow profile image96
    Readmikenowposted 7 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14460921.jpg
    “A senior administration official said the order directs 12 grant-making agencies to use their authority in coordination with the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to ensure institutions that receive federal research or education grants promote free speech and free inquiry. White House officials have said it will apply to more than $35 billion in grants.”

Here is the article about it.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- … e-campuses

1. savvydating profile image92
      savvydatingposted 7 months agoin reply to this

This is great news. Now (ideally) everyone can have free speech safely, and with equal protection, whether they are liberal, conservative or somewhere in-between. Actually, universities are supposed to enable free speech. But they don't. My brother is a Dean at a University. He knows full well the politics attached to "higher learning. Good for Trump for having the "balls" to do something positive for the youth of America.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 7 months agoin reply to this

Intelligent, mature adults aren't threatened by free speech.  Whether a person is liberal, leftist, conservative, rightist, moderate, centrist, or other in-betweens, h/she shouldn't be offended by "opposing" viewpoints.  A mature person is never threatened nor nonplused by different viewpoints; however, immature people constantly become unhinged when "opposing" or different viewpoints are presented.

1. savvydating profile image92
          savvydatingposted 7 months agoin reply to this

What's really interesting is that you identify as a liberal (mostly) and I identify as a conservative (mostly) yet we still have significant things in common. Nevertheless, Readmikenow has never responded to either one of us directly in any of his forum posts, ever. Hmmm. Are we merely fluff in his mind? If so, too bad.
          Anyhoo....this new Executive order may be hard to put in place when all is said and done, but if puts university administrators on notice, that is a very good thing. Have a good night, Grace. wink

2. promisem profile image96
      promisemposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Hypocrisy, stupidity and political posturing.

Where are his "executive orders" for the gun massacres? Does getting shot with an AK-47 negate one's right to free speech?

Oh, THAT'S different!  lol

Readmikenowposted 6 months agoin reply to this

You are the master of the straw man argument.

Any idea how conservatives are treated on college campuses?

Just asking.

1. promisem profile image96

Any idea why Trump and his supporters care more about a few minor protests on campuses than they do when 50 people get slaughtered with an assault rifle?

Just asking.

Actually, I do. It's because:

1. They want to spew their hate-filled venom without consequences.

2. They care more about guns than human life.

1. Live to Learn profile image79
              Live to Learnposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Jake? Is that you?

LOL. I just knew I'd hear from you on that one.  smile

If he wants to get inflammatory and divisive again, I'm happy to oblige.

"I understand that liberals are all for free speech...as long as it is the type of speech that gets their approval. I think Stalin said something along those lines."

1. Live to Learn profile image79
                  Live to Learnposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Oh. I see.

I'm sure you do. We all are willing to jump into it now and then.

2. Readmikenow profile image96

It's obvious you don't know enough about this topic to have an intelligent give and take on it.  So sad.

And this is an intelligent give and take?

"I understand that liberals are all for free speech...as long as it is the type of speech that gets their approval. I think Stalin said something along those lines."

Yes, it is actually quite accurate.  Here is just one instance.

"An internal memo has revealed that the ACLU will stop standing up for the rights of those with whom its liberal donors disagree."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/07/ … n-against/

I could provide many others, but educating the unknowing takes too much time and effort. 

I don't know if you have read much about Stalin, but he told the newspapers to print anything they like as long as it did not hurt mother Russia.

I could go on, but why?

Oh, you will go on. That much is clear.

What isn't clear to Trump extremists is the hypocrisy of having a hissy fit about a few minor disputes on college campuses while ignoring mass murders because of their mindless love of assault rifles.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
                  Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 months agoin reply to this

The second amendment is essential in protecting the first amendment. You should try history sometime. It's not fashionable at all, but it is healthy and totally addictive.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
              Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 months agoin reply to this

When you say 'hate filled venom,' I assume you must be talking about something like demonizing a teenage Catholic child for the crime of smiling at a total moron beating a drum in his face.

2. StevenHall4646 profile image72
    StevenHall4646posted 7 months ago

On most Ivy league schools, there have been major attacks on free speech. Anyone following this topic no matter what party you're in should be celebrating this fact. If you want to learn more I actually wrote an article about it.
    https://hubpages.com/politics/Let-My-People-Speak

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 months ago

"Trump made the announcement at the Conservative Political Action Conference after he brought up to the stage Hayden Williams, the conservative activist attacked last month at University of California-Berkeley. Conservatives have accused some colleges of trying to suppress anti-liberal viewpoints."

Trump is not interested in protecting those (on college campuses) who express liberal viewpoints. He is interested in protecting those (on college campuses) who express anti-liberal viewpoints.The liberals (on college campuses) are just way too aggressive these days, apparently.

Liberals and Conservatives alike, however, are not to abuse freedom of speech.

How does someone abuse freedom of speech?  This a new concept to me.  It makes no sense.  I have no idea what this means.

One attacks freedom of speech by:

- Encouraging violence against any media that isn't Fox News, Alex Jones and the National Enquirer.

- Calling independent media the "enemy of the people".

- Trying to squash social media and search engine efforts to get rid of propaganda and Russian efforts to elect a right-wing autocrat.

Fascism is alive and well in America. Seig heil, Mein Trump.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
        Kathryn L Hillposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Freedom requires boundaries. They are two sides of the same coin.

Freedom of speech was given not to promote what is false or vile.

1. lovetherain profile image72
          lovetherainposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Wow, have you ever read 1984?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
            Kathryn L Hillposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Freedom of speech was/is for a purpose. It is NOT just for the sake of itself.

"not to promote what is false or vile"

Who gets to determine what is false or what is vile?  In many case people assign this to a hat with MAGA on it.  This is what they've determined.  Free speech to be truly free...can have NO boundaries. 

In the Federalist papers James Madison wrote "Freedom of speech needs to remain nearly absolute."

Does the government determine what is false and vile?  Should the government  determine what should and should not be deemed free speech?

That is how it works in China and Cuba.  I hope it never works that way here.

4. Live to Learn profile image79
    Live to Learnposted 6 months ago

It is a sad state of affairs that we have to tell institutes of higher education that open and free dialogue is required. You'd think those would be the first places we'd be able to have a free and open exchange of ideas.

I understand that liberals are all for free speech...as long as it is the type of speech that gets their approval. I think Stalin said something along those lines.

5. GA Anderson profile image90
    GA Andersonposted 6 months ago

After reading the Executive Order I don't get the impression it adds anything that isn't already enforceable law or regulation.

Perhaps the best case is that it could be perceived as a "message' to academia, but I think it is more likely that it is the worst case of style over substance.

GA

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

what we have going on rampantly is abuse of freedom of speech with the LIES and FAKE NEWS spewed constantly from the mouths of politicians and those in the Media.

How is that for promoting spirituality?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image80

watch any video of Bernie Sanders and he constantly contradicts himself with the lies he can't keep track of.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)