Who Do You Think Will Win the 2019 Eurovision?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Nathanville profile image92
    Nathanvilleposted 4 years ago

The Eurovision Song Contest is the longest running TV show internationally; with the largest audience for any non-sport show anywhere in the world.  The annual show, which has been running for over 60 years, attracts an audience of over 200 million people.

After thousands of years of European countries constantly fighting each other; the Eurovision was launched in war torn Europe (in the aftermath of the 2nd world war) in 1956 as one of many experiments to finally bind Europe together in peace; other experiments of the time including the EFTA (European Free Trade Association), and the EEC (that would eventually become the EU).

Last year Israel won, so under the Eurovision Rules Israel is the host country this year.  In the 1st semi-finals (14th May) Australia’s entrance was stunning; so I am rooting for them to win.

As the previous winner the host country (this year Israel) automatically quality for the finals along with France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK as the 5 countries who pay the lion share to the costs of running Eurovision.

The 2nd Semi-Final is on Thursday 16th May, and the Finals on Saturday 18th May.

These days Britain’s songs are always lame, so I don’t expect the UK to fare well in the finals; but, having seen their performance, I think Australia are in for a good chance.  What do you think?

Australian’s entrance in the semi-finals:  https://youtu.be/UkhYYwF7XaU?t=3460

1. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Not seen the others other than Sweden or some other that has some BDSM thing which I found lame, but the Aus one is good. I still don't understand how Aus is in the Eurovision though.

Nathanvilleposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yep, LGBT is a big thing in Europe; I’m not quite sure what that says about Europeans?  But Conchita Wurst (the breaded lady from Austria) won the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest (as this American TV channel explains):-  https://youtu.be/GqBUUd27vOs

Yep, why is Australia part of the Eurovision Song Contest.  It’s a question that has been raised more than once; but then it’s typical of Europeans e.g. not always logical!!!! 

But in summary, the Australians have subscribed to the European Broadcasting Union since 1983 to have rights to broadcast the Eurovision in Australia; and for some reason, only known to the European Broadcasting Union (the Independent company that runs Eurovision) it was decided to invite Australia as a ‘guest’ participant in 2015 (intended as a once-off appearance only).  However, that year Australia was a huge hit (coming fifth); and consequently they have been invited back each year ever since, because they continue to be so popular (this year being no exception).  But whether it becomes a permanent feature or not in the long run is up to the European Broadcasting Union.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense now. But why point out Conchita Wurst for BDSM? Rise like a Phoenix was not BDSM neither was her act.

Sorry, my mistake, I should have said LGBT (so I've corrected my entry above).

Yeah, but LGBT is not a form of music, BDSM apparently is.

Either way, LGBT/BDSM; its European:  It’s not my scene, but I know plenty of people in both ‘camps’ (sorry for the pun on words); close friends and ‘associates’ of the PRIDE movement, which is a BIG thing in Bristol (where I live) e.g. as a professional photographer my son met Conshita Wurst when she visited the Queen Shilling (the main gay night club in Bristol) (LGBT), and recently my son did commissioned work for Mr Leather Man (BDSM).

It's not, but ok. That's not the topic of discussion here.

2. John Welford profile image80
          John Welfordposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The UK never stands a chance, however good the song might be. Things started going wrong with the invasion of Iraq, which made us very unpopular with European public opinion, and now we look like leaving the EU - another reason for anti-UK sentiment!

Yep, we seem to be getting the same reputation in Europe that America has; but then we only have ourselves to blame for that.

The same reputation that America has? Not at all.

2. Nathanville profile image92

Getting back on track; it was Iceland (not Sweden).  Yep, their BDSN entry (Heavy Metal) was a bit heavy for me; not quite my least liked act. 

Slovenia was my least favourite (very soppy and lame); but along with Australia, Iceland and Slovenia the Europeans loved these three acts and voted for them all to go onto the Finals on Saturday. 

The countries the voting viewers (European Public) selected in the 1st semi-final for the 'Finals' were Greece, Belarus, Serbia, Cyprus, Estonia, Czech Republic, Australia, Iceland, San Marino and Slovenia.

The countries from this semi-final who didn't make it to the Finals were Montenegro, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Belgium, Georgia and Portugal.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88
        MizBejabbersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Guys, being an American isolated from Europe, I have no idea what you are talking about. However, I do have one comment. In the U.S. I've noticed that our entertainment scenes have a lot of extremely talented Australians and Canadians, Australia: Mel Gibson (who's pissed off a few Americans), Hugh Jackman, Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Canada: Celine Dione, Justin Bieber, Jim Carrey, Ryan Gosling, enough said. And the last time I checked, Australia was still singing "God Save the Queen." I realize not all them are singers, some are actors, but all are extremely talented here. How about Canada? Are they involved in the show, too?

Thanks for your feedback. 

No, Canada does not participate in the Eurovision Song Contest. 

In accordance with the ‘Rules’ of the European Broadcasting Union only countries within the European Broadcasting Area can participate in the show.  The European Broadcasting Area extends from Israel to Russia; so although the European Broadcasting Union fights hard to keep the show apolitical, political tensions are common e.g. between Israel and Muslim countries, Russia and Ukraine etc.

However, Australia (under the Rules) should not be a participant of the Eurovision; but the European Broadcasting Union decided (for reasons only known to them) to break their own rules in 2015 and invite Australia as a ‘Guest’ entrance in 2015 to mark the 60th Anniversary of Eurovision.  The only reason Australia has been invited back (as a guest) each year since (to date) is simply because of their popularity e.g. their songs has always been amongst the top winners in the Finals.

To give some idea of the popularity of the show: In comparison to the super bowl in America which attracts an audience of 111 million, the Eurovision attracts an audience of up to 200 million viewers; so it’s a big annual event in Europe.

Months prior to the show each participating country runs its own country wide contest to select their winning entrance.  Then in May two semi-finals (each show lasting two hours) are held to select which countries will participate in the Finals.  The Finals is a show lasting 3 hours 40 minutes; so it’s a long evening in front of the TV with plenty of nibbles to munch on.  Once the show itself ends (which is about 3 hours), there’s then about a 30 minutes lull while European viewers vote (by phone and text etc.) e.g. you can have one vote for any country other than your own country.

This Explanation of Eurovision (by an American) may answer your questions: https://youtu.be/kIcjd8tkdoc?t=101

The most controversial Eurovision Song was the Ukraine’s entrance (after Russia invaded Ukraine) e.g. a song that hit back at the Russians:  And in spite of protests from Russia of it being ‘political’ (in contravention of the Rules) the song won 1st place in the Finals that year (and a well-deserved win, because it was an excellent performance, and well worth watching):  https://youtu.be/75OwdZJzlkg?t=37

2. Glenis Rix profile image94
    Glenis Rixposted 4 years ago

Don't care Arthur. It's worse than Crossroads ever was LOL

We love it.  I'd be quite happy watching just the Finals on Saturday but our son is more of a fan than we are.  So we all watch both the semi-finals, as well as the finals; and in the process we have a great time in the evenings (during the week) rating the performers and trying to guess how well the contestants do. 

Our son is particular good at guessing who's going to do well e.g. on Tuesday he correctly guessed 9 out of the 10 who won the 1st semi-finals.

The one think we don't like in our family is sports e.g. none of us likes sports so we NEVER watch the cup final or the Olympics etc.

I guess each to his/her own.  LOL.

3. Nathanville profile image92
    Nathanvilleposted 4 years ago

Some Great performances in the Eurovision 2nd semi-finals last night, so the Grand Finals on Saturday should be quite a night, although I’m still rooting for Australia, as their entrance is stunning.  The Interval Act last night was quite good as well.

The Interval Act is entertainment laid on by the Host country to kill some of the time while the votes from across Europe are being counted.  The best ever Interval Act of all time being Riverdance by the Irish in 1994:-

Riverdance as the interval act in Eurovision 1994, Dublin (a stunning performance): https://youtu.be/RAtkcHpSHCw

And of course, we should never forget ABBA, who shot to fame after winning the Eurovision for Sweden in 1974.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)