Whites are Not Privileged

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 4 years ago

"adjective: privileged
    having special rights, advantages or immunities."

Blacks have the same rights, advantages and immunities under the law as Whites.

So what is the real problem behind the complaints of blacks who claim racism and systemic racism?

They claim white cops are out to get them because they are black.

If these things are true, How come?

... without referring to "white privilege."

1. peterstreep profile image81
      peterstreepposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Because theory and practice are not the same things.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Apparently, Whites do have some sort of advantage over Blacks ... 
    What is the nature of this advantage?

Does the BLM movement accurately address this advantage which exists, in their minds, as inequality.

Are natural advantages the same as unfair inequalities?

Is no one to have a natural advantage over another?

Wondering.

Could you give me some examples of those natural advantages Kathryn?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Should we apologize for our advantages, no matter if we are black or white or whatever?

If not, what are we to apologize for?

... for your lack of advantages?

Okay, Sorry.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

I apologize for your lack of advantages.

It is my fault you do not have equal advantages to me.
    How can I help you?
    I will give you all my money
    I will give up my history
    I will give up my laws
    I will give up enforcement of those laws.

Then you will be happy, harmonious, peaceful, grateful and appreciative.

But, unfortunately, you will still not have the advantages you will need to survive in this world.

And that's what you really need: A way to survive and have joy of life.

Things only you can give yourself.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, Kathryn, you should make a hub about this. You have the outline already. I think people are getting tired of all this whining and demanding. Right now during the coronavirus pandemic is not the time to riot, loot and burn. To put innocent storekeepers of all colors out of business. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but George Floyd and this last one are just too well-timed, and I can't help but be suspicious of this being coincidental.
      Right now my family is too concerned with staying alive and healthy than to have sympathy for those who defy government orders or recommendations and get out and march for their cause. No masks, shouting and spitting, then when they (both black and white) get COVID, and they are getting it, our taxpayer dollars have to pay for their treatment. Right now the lives of fools of any color don't matter to me. My friends of ALL colors who stay home and try to keep their families safe and healthy do.

Can't you understand that the people are so desperate and so filled with injustice that they had enough? That even the COVID could not stop their frustration.

2. Lisa Hallam profile image84
        Lisa Hallamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Whining is used over minuscule things, not innocent people dying because their skin colour is darker than your privileged skin. All of this rioting and looting is due to people LIKE YOU. If you want it to stop, stop holding racist ideologies, it's a simple equation. Also, EXTREMELY disrespectful calling the death of an innocent person "this last one". I'm enraged that you would say that about somebody's daughter/son who was killed for no valid reason. Disgusting.

Sorry you take issue with it, but I couldn't remember his name. I meant no disrespect. But I'm sick of all this rioting and looting. That is not honest protesting of wrongs. That is hurting the truly innocent people who own the businesses. A good percentage of them will never be able to build back. I may be white but I lost a son to our injustice system, too. He was disabled so he was poor. I really don't care if you are disgusted.

2. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

There are wealthy Blacks & poor Caucasians.   Although there is racism, that is NO EXCUSE not to succeed educationally & socioeconomically.   One must fight to overcome racism; however, this fight must be logical in its premise.  Fight racism by being the best person one can be educationally & socioeconomically.  Be proactive & adopt logical policies.  Don't practice immediate gratification, plan for one's future.  Don't constantly blame society or "the man" for one's dire circumstances.  Instead one should look inward regarding the dire straits h/she is in.

As an educated, middle class, Black Liberal woman, I shall state the unadulterated truth here.   There are Blacks in America who adopt negative mindsets- they glorify in the poverty culture.  They prefer street credibility over academic & intellectual knowledge.  There are Black young people who glorify the hip hop culture which is mostly a very destructive, negative culture.  There is also an inverse logic present in postmodern Black culture- having children w/o being in a married or a strong, committed relationship,  saying the words baby mama or baby daddy instead of wife or husband,  acting ungentlemanly or unladylike, & other abhorrent behaviors.  This negativity has got to stop if Blacks are to succeed in America.   Black Americans must stop w/the blaming & dependent mentality & start doing for themselves.  Need I say more as a Black woman.....

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Early education is the key.
    We must become conscious of the process of early human development.
    We can work with nature.
    The needs of "the child" must be understood.
    Why go into space without fully understanding the human brain.
    Why try to solve the problems of society without understanding the art and science of child raising.
    First things first.

Thank you gmwilliams and Mizbejabbers for shinning light on this topic.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Truth Symbol?

1. profile image0
      Tsymbolposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

also ...

As an atheist, how do you explain the connection of comfort and joy?
      Or excitement and joy
      Or flying and joy?
      Or swimming, running, etc. and joy?
      or loving
      and joy?

1. Lisa Hallam profile image84
        Lisa Hallamposted 4 years ago

White privilege is 101% a true thing. Although black people are TECHNICALLY treated the same on paper, in real life they most certainly are not. The system is so racially corrupt to the point that most white people simply cannot see how much of an advantage is gives them. As an example, my best friend is black; she hardly sleeps because she needs such a high GPA to compensate for the fact that she's already visually disadvantaged, even on resumes, because her last name is Nigerian. Myself on the other hand need not worry about this factor. She got a tattoo in a visible place which, on black people, is commonly associated with violence and incompetence. My white friends have no issue getting hired because of their tattoos on open parts of their bodies. She gets scared to walk out of a store without buying anything because there is the connotation that because she is black and is leaving without making a purchase that she is stealing. I, again, do not have this issue. Every time she walks through the security sensors of a store her anxiety goes off the wall because if it beeps by accident, who knows what kind of force security guards will put onto her? She has no idea, and the risk of it happening to her is increased due to her skin colour. I have never felt this anxiety in my life-- I've had it beep on me by accident multiple times, I simply wait, ask the cashier if I'm okay, and they usually just let me go right like that. She gets scared when cops pass her by in any environment because, as I'm sure you've seen in the news, black people are getting killed simply from going for a jog, using a cell phone, paying for something at a store, or even just sleeping-- hearing that siren to a black person is like "oh god what if they see me as a threat just because of the colour of my skin, what if I die today?". That's terrifying to think about having to live like that. She gets scared to take her wallet out of her bag at a self-checkout because she doesn't want to seem sketchy like she is placing items into her bag without paying for them; you may say "oh well I feel anxious doing this too", and that's fine, but if somebody says something to you, they will likely just let you go and trust your words. She has zero idea what can happen to her. She tries to make sure that she never fumbles her keys at a door when unlocking or locking it because she doesn't want to look suspicious like she's breaking into a house because that is an action associated with black lives; I get anxious fumbling my keys only because I look like an idiot, not because there's the idea in somebody's head that I'm trying to break in. When she was younger, her peers would always assume her father carried a gun in his jacket because blackness is associated with the negative connotations of aggressive behaviour. Her father is a banker who worked hard his entire life just like white people do, yet this family is receiving more penalization simply because they have more melanin in their skin? What kind of idiocy is this? Her brother cannot walk with his hood up because again, that's associated with looking suspicious. My brother on the other hand does this all the time and has never had a problem. I myself get petrified when she leaves the house alone because I have no way of knowing what could happen to her just from walking down the street. I don't know if that's the last time I will see her and it scares me. If something DID happen to her that doesn't yet involve the police (e.g. a random civilian attacked her), the people who she is supposed to call for help (the cops) could quite possibly pin the situation onto her. She is scared for being attacked and scared that her helpline could also attack her. My other black friend got pulled over and thrown onto the hood of his car to be patted down simply because he had a single tail light out. Whenever that has happened to myself or my parents the officer simply tells them "hey, get that checked eh?" and that's it. My other black friend would constantly have her hair treated like a petting zoo because it looks "exotic". Black people are not animals, their hair is made of the same stuff that yours is.
        You say not to use the term "white privilege", which that in itself is showing your own privilege in broad daylight. People say that slavery was abolished centuries ago but I believe that it simply just switched its course of action to a more passive manner.

1. Credence2 profile image80
          Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Racism takes many forms, sometimes it can be most polite and seen by the perpetrators as just a matter of course. I tell people here often, that you cannot know unless you learn to listen and put yourself in the othere's shoes.

Your assement is both sensitive as well as prescient. Thanks, muchly.

Kathryn L Hillposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I believe a positive attitude would bring her great relief in life.
          A Smile goes a  v e r y  long way.
          I know blacks who have way more advantages than I have ever had.
          Yet they view me as a threat
          when I am not at all
          in the least.

White privilege is not saying “you’re white so your life isn’t hard”, it’s saying your life does not have consequences BECAUSE of your skin colour.
            Like I stated many times in my original post, black people DON’T KNOW who is racist, therefore they have to make many precautions to protect themselves. White people do not feel this because reverse racism simply does not exist. You are missing the point.
            Also extremely insulting that you think a smile will end racial profiling? I wish it were that simple.

racism is based on pre judging.
              Pre judging occurs due to ignorance.
              Humans in general have a problem with jumping to erroneous conclusions.

2. DrMark1961 profile image97
              DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

"White people do not feel this because reverse racism simply does not exist."
              Do you really think this is true? If you do you are living in a strange dream that has no basis in reality.

3. MizBejabbers profile image88

Reverse racism does exist. We left a neighborhood in 1994 because our black friends were worried about our safety. The neighborhood was integrated in 1980 when I bought the house there and finished raising my children. We made friends with all the neighbors on the block and a couple of them behind us. Many of them were black. I remarried 4 years later, and my husband, a Vietnam era veteran gave martial arts lessons to the young black boys who lived around us, that is until he had a heart attack and couldn't.  We lived there for 14 years and watched those little boys grow into men. They moved away as young people will, but still came over to visit us when they came home to visit their parents.
              Then the neighborhood changed, and not for the better. We realized that we were no longer welcome there and moved. That was in 1994, and we are still friends with two of our black neighbors from there. They, BTW, gave up and moved, too, but we still see each other occasionally.
              I don't know where you live, but "reverse racism doesn't exist" indicates in the state of denial.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
        Kathleen Cochranposted 4 years ago

Check this country's history. White privilege has been intentionally contrived by our government for the past 100 years. Just because you are not aware of it does not mean it does not exist.  And if you are unaware, the best you can do is stay out of the conversation.

100%. Thank you.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

can we transcend the mind
        or "become" the energy which animates the mind?

... why is the T-symbol a symbol of joy to you Tsymbol?
          Other questions:
          Is happiness the same as joy?
          Does the feeling of anger bring about happiness
          or is it somehow pleasurable?

Does pinpointing the negative, (for instance, through false accusations of racism) bring about destruction and therefore happiness to those who actually enjoy destruction and misery?

misery brings happiness to some, apparently,

...but does it bring joy?

Wondering

1. profile image0

Deleted

there's a good name: Resident Troll!
              then you can be your real self.

oh ... that wouldn't be as fun.

1. profile image0

Deleted

Truthfully my screen is too small. I've tried prescription close up glasses, but nothing is helping.
                  ... I may give up a bit too/ enter very briefly.

but it was nice to reconnect with you ... even tho I suspect you are a little Chinese dude trying to spread Marxism.

Yay Mao!

2. Credence2 profile image80
            Credence2posted 4 years ago

Perhaps we can dispense with the spiritualist mumbo-jumbo.

The Nazis had nothing over the behavior of the "majority" in this country, what is it like to experience Kristalnacht every day?

This article speaks volumes, again I ask, WHY?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-blac … 41181.html

I have to tell the nitwits on the Right that the travesties of the past resonates into today's economic and political climate for Blacks relative to whites. It is primarily White privilege just to have had nothing stolen from them.

I'm not a rightist, but I do have to wonder about this article. It says that airplanes were dropping incendiary devices on the area during the Greenwood Massacre. In 1921? Think about it.

Why not, Ms. B?

Aviation technology was far enough along by the early 1920's to make such an assault possible. Such assaults were frequent during WWI. But, I am appalled that such an assault would have to had been authorized from way up on the food chain, now how ugly is that? This, as the average joe did not have a biplane just sitting around in the backyard.

All you needed was one fellow aloft with a single Molotov cocktail.
                I think that you can find that this sort of assault during that  riot period  is corroborated by many sources.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/t … 98eca.html

P.S. thanks for taking the time to read the attached article.

Thank you, Credence. I tried to find info on this but I could not. Why is this article blocked out? Is it because it requires a subscription. I even clicked on a link inside it and the article that came up had the same problem.
                  I thought of one or two hobbyists with canvas airplanes dropping Molotov cocktails, but somehow I couldn't picture a whole arial battalion converging on Tulsa.

1. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Don't confuse a single plane throwing a gasoline bomb or two with a flotilla of planes and hundreds or thousands of cocktails.  The article (and the documentary I watched) said merely that incendiaries were dropped from planes, never specifying how many planes or devices there were. 

Seems safe to think there were a couple of planes, with pilots throwing a couple of cocktails each.  Not much more but that wouldn't make a very good story as it just doesn't bring the total outrage being desired.

No one is itching for total outrage, Wilderness. You should be outraged that any mayor, county official could authorized such an incursion on this community. I never talked about fleets or aircraft, but the very fact that aircraft were authorized in destroying innocents should be the issue. But, as I said, your concept of America and her real history remains quite different from mine. As you can see in current events there remains a great deal of strife and anger undercurrent just looking for an avenue to relieve the pressure.

Whether One pilot or 50, it is an ugly story and a blot on the concept of equal treatment and justice under the law,

1. wilderness profile image95
                        wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You misunderstand completely.  You didn't talk about fleets of aircraft, but the links do (at least they give that impression) for they are written to raise emotions over the act, not to simply report facts.  For example, what I could read of the link never mentioned that the blacks marched, armed, on the jail where the accused rapist was being held, yet it was that act more than anything else that started the riot.

Nor have I found any indication that any authority authorized the burning of the community, yet you insinuate that it was.  As near as I can determine it was an act no different than we see today in Seattle and other places; a bunch of yahoos decide that they will enforce what they want rather than what the law is.

It was indeed an ugly (VERY ugly) story, but it is no blot on the concept of equal treatment under the law, for there was nothing lawful about it.  Rather, it is a story of racism and mob rule...again, just as we see today in Seattle.

3. GA Anderson profile image84
            GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

I just rolled up on this, and did not read the link, so maybe I am missing something. But . . .

In 1921 we would be talking about open cockpit bi-planes, (as has been said), right?

My first thought was an image of a leather-helmeted and goggled pilot, with scarf flowing behind, reaching down between his legs, (does he push the control yoke out of the way?) to strike a match, (out of the wind), to light a piece of cloth hanging from the neck of a bottle.

Wait, wait. They could have had cup holders in those days. Maybe one on each side of the cockpit to hold the bottles. Then the pilot would have two hands to strike that match, (wait, did they have autopilot back then?), and light that now-waving strip of cloth.

Nope, didn't work for me.

GA [;-)

Think about the "barn stormers", the aerobatic performers that ran the circuit during the Twenties. You have seen the photos of ladies doing "the Charleston" on the wings with aerobatics that captivated audiences. When you think of all the stunts that were performed with airplanes, how difficult is it to light a Molotov cocktail and throw it?

1. GA Anderson profile image84
                GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Right, aerial acrobatics; hands and feet on the controls, attention focused.

Lighting that Molotov; hands off the controls, 100 mph, (?) wind blowing through the cockpit, control yoke between the knees, (would that work?), striking a stick match and then getting the flame to the cloth before the wind blew it out . . .  Nope, still doesn't work.

But wait, maybe they could take a wing-walker with them, and when they got over the target area the wing-walker could reach down and hold the yoke and block the wind while the pilot tried to light that cloth  . . or, they could reverse jobs; The pilot could keep doing the flying and the wing-walker could hang down into the cockpit, (careful what they reach for), plugging it like a bottle & cork, and then they strike the match and light the cloth.

Nope, it still doesn't work. Think about it... striking a match in a roaring wind and keeping the flame long enough light a piece of cloth, (or black powder fuse)

But hey, look at all the cute mental images we can draw just from imagining how it might be done. ;-)

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
          Necessary
          HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
          LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
          Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
          AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
          HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
          Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
          CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
          Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
          Features
          Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
          Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
          Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
          PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
          MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
          Marketing
          Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
          Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
          Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
          Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
          Statistics
          Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
          ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
          Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
          ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)