Just Another Reason Why I Continue to Distrust Republicans

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 3 years ago

Excerpt from an article from "Electoral Vote".

Here is the link- rightwingers are hereby warned that the contents are not for the faint of heart

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/ … Jul23.html

" Nevertheless, the parties disagree on a number of key things as well, besides the amount of money to appropriate. Republicans want to shield business from liability associated with COVID-19. For example, if an employer tells his employees to show up for work or be fired and doesn't provide PPE, social distancing, or other tools for staying healthy and an employee gets sick as a result, Democrats want to allow the employee to sue the employer and Republicans want to prohibit that."

-----

Just an excerpt from an article. I remember McConnell having a virtual erection, sorry, wanting to indemnify employers against employees who could take legal action when employers had not taken  any effort to meet standards of safety in their workplaces in the COVID-19 environment. So, the employees are to take all of the risks without any recourse? But, I never heard anything from him requiring employers to provide safe workplaces to minimize the risks of infection. McConnell has been adamant about this.
    But that is what Republicans always do, as America's version of the House of Lords, it is pretty obvious who they are most interested in sustaining.

The treasury cannot indefinitely support CARES Act levels for providing unemployment relief. So if people are going to be compelled to return to work, perhaps OSHA should get involved to make sure that employers are not taking a "business as usual" attitude, not making the appropriate adjustments within post pandemic America.

Both sides needs be considered here, and it is only the Democrats, see excerpt, that demand that precautions are taken to protect workers before anyone can be indemnified.

Whatever the topic is under the sun, Republicans continue to give me cause to distrust them and their motives.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You should look a little deeper into the blurbs you quote Cred.

A deeper look into McDonnel and the Republican's problems with this issue bring out this point:

"“We’re not interested in protecting bad actors, which is why we’re not looking for a blanket liability shield,” said Linda Kelly, general counsel for the National Association for Manufacturers. “We’re asking for a heightened standard to apply before liability would apply.”"

In other words, neither McDonnell nor the Republicans want an impenetrable liability shield for businesses, they only want a fair consideration of business efforts.

Under the Democrat umbrella, a business could do everything possible to mitigate virus exposure and still be held liable for any contagion case under any circumstances—such as a customer spitting on a table before an employee could get to it to sanitize it, and the business would be liable.

Is that the scenario of responsibility your quoted blurb supports? It is the scenario McDonnell and the Republicans want to guard against.

The business owners that your blurb describes are exactly the bad actors that the Republican position of liability would not protect.

Geesh bud, you need to look into this stuff before accepting it as truth and proof of your distrust of the Republican party.

When your blurb is researched it turns out to be no more than inaccurate slander, yet you post it as support for your position.

An online tally collected by law firm Hunton Andrews Kurth shows that, as of Wednesday, more than 2,840 coronavirus-related complaints have been filed since Jan. 30. The majority of those lawsuits have been brought by businesses over insurance coverage, while hundreds were filed by prisoners. Roughly 50 cases were brought due to claims of a lack of personal protective equipment, exposure to Covid-19 at work, wrongful death or personal injury."

Check out the CNBC source of my blurbs for a more complete picture, or even better, take a look at the Google search results. Your blurbs are purposely misleading.

Confirmation bias Cred. You are falling for confirmation bias clickbait.

GA

Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

GA, I am not speaking about Linda Kelly. McConnell has made this point of indemnification for a least a couple of months, and that can be shown by any number of sources. So, I did hear this from him. After all he is Senate Majority Leader, can I rely on him to represent the GOP message overall?

The CNBC article just supports what I have been saying about the GOP. I am fully aware of the threat of endless litigation and risks taken on behalf of small business and employers.

My position here is that frivolous lawsuits can be avoided as long as it is certified that the business has fully taken into account safety and has structured his or her establishment accordingly. I am concerned about the businesses as bad actors not doing their part yet still want to insist on the benefits of indemnification.

I not giving any one the benefit of the doubt , both sides and concerns needs to addressed or there is no deal. The Republicans just say open, while the Democrats say open with caution and consideration.

So, as a conservative, you might consider my points as slander, but that is not how I see it.

1. GA Anderson profile image88

You are really making me work on this one Cred. You spoke of " McConnell has made this point of indemnification for a least a couple of months, and that can be shown by any number of sources. So, I did hear this from him. " so I went looking for his own statements.

7/21, from the Senate floor:
          "As I have said for months, the next recovery package will include strong legal protections for the healthcare workers who saved strangers’ lives and the schools, colleges, charities, and businesses that want to reopen.

“The American people will not see their historic recovery efforts gobbled up by trial lawyers who are itching to follow this pandemic with a second epidemic of frivolous lawsuits.

“Gross negligence will still be actionable, but we’re creating a safe harbor for institutions that make a good-faith effort to follow the guidelines available to them.

“Doctors and nurses clearly deserve this protection. And school districts, universities, nonprofits, and small businesses will need it, too, if we want any genuine reopening at all."

Source:McConnell Press release

6/30, from the Senate floor:
          "“One helpful policy would be strong legal protection for the schools, colleges, nonprofits, and employers that are putting their necks on the line to reopen.

So long as institutions follow the best available guidelines, they should not have to live in fear of a second epidemic of frivolous lawsuits. The virus is worry enough."

Source:McConnellpress release

6/29, from the Senate floor:
          "“As I’ve been saying for weeks, a number of us are putting together strong legal protections for healthcare professionals, K-12 schools, colleges and universities, and employers so our recovery is not promptly swamped by a second epidemic of frivolous lawsuits."
          Source: McConnell press release

A few other sources of McConnell statements:
          "MITCH MCCONNELL: I want to make sure that we protect the people we've already sent assistance to who are going to be set up for an avalanche of lawsuits if we don't act."

"MCCONNELL: What I'm saying is we have a red line on liability. It won't pass the Senate without it."

Source: NPR.org

From the Washington Post:
          "McConnell has consistently said the next bill will include liability protections for businesses, health-care providers, universities and schools. He offered a time period for these protections on Monday, saying he envisioned a “narrowly crafted liability protection” for activities related to the novel coronavirus that would kick in December 2019 and last through 2024.

“Unless you’re grossly negligent or intentionally engaged in harmful behavior, you shouldn’t have to be penalized by getting sued on top of everything else, so that’ll be in there, I guarantee it,” McConnell said."

Source: Washington Post

"McConnell told reporters, “We are working on a narrowly crafted liability protection” bill and that “It will not protect somebody from gross negligence.
          Source: Reuters

And then there are the business organizations that are lobbying for this protection, (McConnell supporters that he listens to):

We’re not interested in protecting bad actors, which is why we’re not looking for a blanket liability shield,” said Linda Kelly, general counsel for the National Association for Manufacturers. “We’re asking for a heightened standard to apply before liability would apply.”

There is more but I will stop here and ask; "Where are you hearing 'from the horse's mouth', as you say, that McConnell is seeking blanket-type immunity?

What authority or support did the article you quote as prompting you to "remember McConnell having a virtual erection, sorry, wanting to indemnify employers against employees who could take legal action when employers had not taken  any effort to meet standards of safety in their workplaces in the COVID-19 environment,"  have or supply?

Every source I found that actually spoke to McConnell's words, (even the anti-Republican sources that included actual quotes), included both McConnell, and supporting actors, qualifying that "bad actors" and instances of "gross negligence" would not be covered by the proposed limited immunity plan.

However, I did find several sources that I think might be on your preferred reading list that say exactly what you are saying—except they don't support their claims with actual quotes, but with just their partisan interpretations:

Mitch McConnell Insists On Liability Protections For Businesses During The Pandemic - A misleading NPR headline

A New YorkTimes headline:
          The Brutal Clarity of the Trump-McConnell Plan to Protect Businesses - this one actually uses McConnell quotes that refute the implication of the headline

A Slate headline:
          Trump and McConnell’s COVID-19 Liability Protections Are Completely Unnecessary - I was surprised that this one was as mild as it seems but by my reading, its only validation is the claim that businesses don't need extra protections if make honest efforts. Yet it seems that the thousands of suits already filed might belie that claim.

New York Daily News headline:
          The devious COVID-19 liability push: Mitch McConnell’s push for coronavirus immunity would shield big businesses that hurt their workers - this one is an off-the-charts gross misrepresentation of McConnell's statements and actual details of the proposed plan

etc. etc. etc.

Hell Cred, by your statement, "I am concerned about the businesses as bad actors not doing their part yet still want to insist on the benefits of indemnification," you might even be in agreement with McConnell and the Republicans—they don't want bad actors or gross negligence indemnified either. ;-)

GA

Ok, I see that we both a wanting the same outcome over this issue, I can leave it there.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

LOL "McDonnel," "McDonnell"  for McConnell. Must have been the martinis. ;-)

GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

A website created by computer scientist Andrew S. Tanenbaum.

Tanenbaum is a civil libertarian, a member of Democrats Abroad (he is a long-time resident of the Netherlands) and generally supports Democratic candidates for office. He revealed his identity on November 1, 2004, as well as stating his reasons and qualifications for running the website.

Just garbage compiled by a 'lefty' with an aganda.

Where is your "credible" forecast, Ken? There are many stoneposts that point to Trump being handed his head this fall and he won't just slip through, this time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)