Suspension of Disbelief

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 3 years ago

There's an expression, in regards to movies, called "suspension of disbelief." The audience sits in a dark theater, and they know they're not actually involved in what they see on the screen, but they choose to experience it as if it's really happening. They choose to suspend their disbelief.

Similarly, no one on planet Earth really believes that a guy with no following, no actual accomplishments, no likable characteristics, a history of creepy behavior toward women and children, substantial evidence of selling his influence to foreign interests, who campaigned from his basement and of course, showing strong signs of onset dementia, actually pulled 8o+ million votes in a recent contest, the most in U.S history.

Yet we have otherwise bright people who will jump at the opportunity to declare this odd chap a legitimate Prez, all the while hurling insults at any who see it for what it is. That is a suspension of disbelief taken to an extreme. They've left the theater and are driving home, still thinking the movie is real. And they're not even on drugs. I haven't popped acid in decades.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Huh! Oh, wait your saying life is an illusion. That I can agree to. Maybe this is better in the philosophy topic.

Kenna McHughposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Pull out the dictionary and clear your understanding of illusion.

1. tsmog profile image84

I have no illusions what an illusion is ha-ha Interesting you would suggest I don't. My reply was a compliment to the content of the OP. Did you find it offensive? If so I apologize, yet the OP content itself does represent suspension of disbelief and is well articulated.

I did some poking about inspired by your post before my earlier reply as to what really suspension of disbelief is. Wikipedia answered that, however for me a more interesting article is one by Scientific American - What Brain Activity Can Explain Suspension of Disbelief.

I control my brain fine, thank you.

2. Sharlee01 profile image89
        Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Maybe psychology would address the topic better. For why some voted for  " a guy with no following, no actual accomplishments, no likable characteristics, a history of creepy behavior toward women and children, substantial evidence of selling his influence to foreign interests, who campaigned from his basement and of course, showing strong signs of onset dementia, actually pulled 8o+ million votes in a recent contest, the most in U.S history."?

I think the why of it all may be something which Maslow's had his finger on --- the five human needs safety needs, love, and belonging needs, esteem needs, and self-actualization needs. Sort of like groupthink. If you belong to a group they can accompany all the five needs... No matter what the consequences, just go with the flow.

Or maybe  Pavlov's theory, do what I do and say or zap!  Cancel culture is still a liberal thing or have they turned that on its ear and now considered it to be a conservative action? Hard to keep up.

However, Kenna real has summed up a large problem.

1. tsmog profile image84

Interesting. I like Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as well as his deficiencies. Maybe the latter explains better. I dun'no . . . will give it some thought. As to your first paragraph some of those attributes she listed did cause me not to vote for him. I won't go into the other main choice as I didn't vote for him either. I did a write in.

Pavlov? Maybe you are right that his principal fomented cancel culture, yet IMHO cancel culture has no allegiance and is well used today by any political party. Yet, today behaviorist have since moved to reward instead of punishment. Alas, whom is punished and whom is rewarded may come into play. I can see that related to suspension of disbelief.

BTW . . . did you read my second reply to Kenna? Maybe the article referenced in it will help to explain the phenomena that 80+ voters did so as it relates to suspension of belief. Definitely food for thought.

Edit: 80+ million voters

2. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Priceless. Couldn’t have said it better.

Thank you. I will be posting more.

3. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I have people close to me who are brainwashed as well, It's painful to watch. They are also highly intelligent. It is strange.

4. Sharlee01 profile image89
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Kenna, you have so wonderfully and simply summed it up. Hopefully, those that voted for Old Joe, will realize the actors in this movie don't have their better interests in mind, and that the free popcorn they are gobbling up is four days old.

Sharlee, we can only hope. I have a feeling it's hard for these folks to confront the evil.

5. abwilliams profile image67
      abwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Kenna, this gave me chills, for obvious reasons!
      Well done.

Thank you!! I know. We can't just let it be. Freedom is so important.

6. Ken Burgess profile image74
      Ken Burgessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think it is best to let this rest.  There is no going back and changing things.

There is no way, even if the election was fraudulent and decided by China's computer hacks or zealot progressive extremists creating hundreds of thousands of fake ballots in PA, or whatever else has been accused, that Biden will not be President for 4 years.

If you believe "the fix was in" both for the Presidency and then the follow up capture of two critical run-off Senate elections in GA, stewing over it and rehashing it is going to do no good.

70+ million people voted for Trump (more if you believe some computers switched Trump votes to Biden) but when the corporations, social media platforms, MSM, DC Cabal... essentially ALL the people with true power and control over what is allowed to be heard/read are in support of the outcome (Biden's Presidency) there is no outlet to change or correct what has occurred.

When you have absolutely no control over something, its best not to concern yourself with it... it just adds to your stress levels.

I am not stressed over this, by no means.

1. Ken Burgess profile image74

Most likely, the retelling of these concerns means it is a cause of stress, if not for you than for most who continue to belabor it.

In addition, those who fully believe what is told in the MSM (CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc.) or for that matter the core issues being forwarded across the nation in our universities (SJ, CRT, GN) are not going to listen with open ears, or read with open eyes, such opinions.

These types of concerns will be labeled as hate speech, racist, or conspiracy theory.  I just don't see how they can do much good.  The best thing now is to let things take their course.

If Biden is as completely incompetent as many believe, if Harris is as unfit as many believe, it is only a matter of time before things cave in, no matter how much the MSM tries to cover it all up... if that indeed is what is going on.

You have a point, but I have more on that later.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 3 years ago

There is more to the point, which I will post.

The suspension of disbelief in regards to Biden winning so many votes is just a continuation on the assault of American reality that has been going on for a long time now.

What is the truth, who is the enemy, all depends on who one decides to believe.  The truth CNN spreads is completely opposite of what FOX spreads and both are focusing people on petty issues while keeping the major events and serious issues out of the public eye as much as possible.

We have serious issues and events going on, almost all of which are ignored by the MSM, wherever possible.  America has become myopic, looking inward, the MSM does its best to keep America obsessing over whatever topic the MSM feeds it.

I hear you, Ken. Yes. There are other important issues. But, we can't blame MSM or CNN.

Where do the majority of Americans get their information from?

The Big Tech companies, now control what we read, watch, or listen to.

Over 90% of all American news outlets are controlled by 6 powerful corporations.

As Jim Morrison, a singer, once  said: “Whoever controls the media, controls the mind.”

The Big Tech giants are invading your privacy by tracking your every move online, on your phone, on your tv.

Americans think they have an unlimited variety of entertainment and media options right at their fingertips. But it is all a lie. This illusion of choice was fabricated by the media elites.

Objectivity in journalism is an illusion created to give the appearance of balanced news. However, there is no such thing as unbiased news. Journalists who work for these six corporations answer to their owners and ultimately serve their agendas.

Americans are fed what the media oligarchs want us to eat. The same can be said of the big tech companies that own the social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. These tech overlords silent dissent and censor content that does not fit the agenda of Crit Race Theory, Social Justice, Gender Neutrality, Climate Change, etc..

They control the messaging, they control what is allowed to be said.  While we are free to post what we want (more or less) in this HP Forums, there is no audience, no traffic, to these threads.  Post this on Facebook and see how long it lasts.

More than half of Americans are either oblivious to this reality, or reject it.

To quote Morpheus from the movie The Matrix:
          "You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

It is my belief that those who believe CNN is anything more than worthless biased propaganda falls into that category.

Matrix is a good movie, though the brothers failed to make the sequels as good. This and more were posted on FB with coding so it wouldn't get flagged. And it worked.

With that, I believe most people (80%) know the media is bunk. The other 20% are heavily influenced by it.

With that, we need to be vigilant and keep communicating the truth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)