When the money becomes worthless: Barter system?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 13 months ago

When the coffers are officially declared empty and money has no value, what will save us?
    The barter system?

Goods, services, and art will be the most valuable things.

or
    what else?

1. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Well nothing will SAVE us. Is it a coincidence that The End of The World As We Know It is happening right now, at the Age Of Aquarius?

2. Kyler J Falk profile image89
      Kyler J Falkposted 13 months agoin reply to this

My buddies and I have always agreed that we will rendezvous and merc for wealthy communities, or inversely create a need for our protection in said wealthy communities until they do hire us. It really depends on how the world handles global bankruptcy, though. For all I know we'll all start being conscripted, and in that case all the boys will get back together again anyways.

Win win, at least from my perspective.

Kathryn L Hillposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it is important to merc for wealthy communities, but global bankruptcy will ultimately be handled by the world and when the boys are enlisted compulsorily into armed services, they will suffer for having to be there, rather than voluntarily enlisting. So actually its a loose, loose. This is why Nixon ended the draft. He had to get everyone to stop protesting the Vietnam war. And it worked.
        But now, be careful what you sign up for on a voluntary basis. Do you really want to fight for this quickly changing country/world? It's ideals are no longer those of our fathers and grandfathers. Oh sorry, you don't consider ideals.

https://www.jimihendrix.com/fr/track/straight-ahead/

1. Kyler J Falk profile image89
          Kyler J Falkposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Your anger, or whatever it may be, blinds you too much, Kathryn. In every conversation we have had I've called myself an ideologue. I've presented you with both my realistic and idealistic views, and specified when I was doing so.

As for fighting for this quickly changing country/world, I do on a regular basis. Whether it be who I work for, what I write, or the way I speak, I try to fight for what is right. Sometimes I fail, recognize it, and correct course, while at other times I simply need a break from remorse and repentance; we all need a vacation from our problems sometimes.

Still sounds like a win win, to me and my skillset at the very least. I wouldn't want my son to grow up in such a world where everything is on the brink of anarchy at any given moment, though. It gives me the chills just to think about my son being in such a situation where the global economy collapses and dog-eat-dog becomes more than just a pithy description for capitalism and democracy.

Perhaps more of a neutral situation than a win win situation when considering my familial goals. Either way bring on the future, we never stop cutting our teeth.

3. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Money will never become worthless.  Modern civilization & culture are run by money.  Money determines transactions & other types of commerce.

well, Good!

1. gmwilliams profile image83
          gmwilliamsposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Money is THE MOST important thing there is.  Money is a necessity as well as a luxury.  Without money, one is penurious, living on the outskirts of society & marginalized, even demonized.  Money is VERY IMPORTANT, more important than even family.    Family don't put food on the table, a roof over head, etc.  The hell with family, MONEY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in life.  One can well do without family but one CAN'T do without money.

1. MizBejabbers profile image86
            MizBejabbersposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I hope you are joking. Remember that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Kathryn L Hillposted 12 months agoin reply to this

- she is ultra logical. wink

1. gmwilliams profile image83
                gmwilliamsposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Thank you.

Kathryn L Hillposted 12 months agoin reply to this

big_smile

4. CHRIS57 profile image60
      CHRIS57posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Money only looses value, if "coffers" are too full, if the money available is not equivalent to the amount of goods to be traded. It is about inflation, me think.

I happen to live in a country which had 2 incidents of money becoming worthless (1922 and 1945). Especially the period from 1945 to June 1948 brought up a bartering system.

It was always a chance to reset. There were tough times, but never cause for real despair.

In hindsight and refreshing the millions of anecdotes from my greatgrandparents, grandparents and parents, a barter system works, but is of low effectivity, because it only fosters trade and not production. Eventually you simply run out of stuff you could trade. And this in return fuels efforts to overcome the "no worth crisis of money". Always light on the horizon.

So nothing to worry about.

A little macroeconomics for dummies: Countries behave very much like private enterprises, when it comes to financials. If a company goes bankrupt, that usually makes assets on the balance sheet shrink to some 30% of book values. Play the same trick for the USA (assets typically 10 fold = 1000% of GDP in nominal terms, public debt at some 100% of GDP). The "run out of money = bankrupt" assets of the USA are 300% of GDP. Lots of room for printing more money... 

There is only one way, the USA can go bankrupt and loose the stabilizing asset backbone for greenbacks: Going to war with someone. And then even growing vegetables in your backyard won´t help, because there won´t be a backyard..

1. Castlepaloma profile image73
        Castlepalomaposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Now your talking my language. Barter trade within countries and foreign trade rather than the US petro dollars.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

For instance:
    Empty shelves in a store in Venezuela due to shortages in 2014 have been prevalent following the enactment of price controls and other policies during the economic policy of the Hugo Chávez government.

Under the economic policy of the Nicolás Maduro government, greater shortages occurred due to the Venezuelan government's policy of withholding United States dollars from importers with price controls.

Shortages occur in regulated products, such as milk, various types of meat, coffee, rice, oil, flour, butter, and other goods including basic necessities like toilet paper, personal hygiene products, and even medicine. As a result of the shortages, Venezuelans must search for food, wait in lines for hours and sometimes settle without having certain products. Maduro's government has blamed the shortages on "bourgeois criminals" hoarding goods.

A drought, combined with a lack of planning and maintenance, has caused a hydroelectricity shortage. To deal with lack of power supply, in April 2016 the Maduro government announced rolling blackouts and reduced the government workweek to only Monday and Tuesday. A multi-university study found that, in 2016 alone, about 75% of Venezuelans lost weight due to hunger, with the average losing about 8.6 kg (19 lbs) due to the lack of food.[303]

By late-2016 and into 2017, Venezuelans had to search for food on a daily basis, occasionally resorting to eating wild fruit or garbage, wait in lines for hours and sometimes settle without having certain products. By early 2017, priests began telling Venezuelans to label their garbage so needy individuals could feed on their refuse. In March 2017, Venezuela, with the largest oil reserves in the world, began having shortages of gasoline in some regions with reports that fuel imports had begun.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

"The World Food Program estimates that one out of three Venezuelans is food insecure and in need of assistance. Based on data collected prior to the pandemic, the 2020 National Survey of Life Conditions reported 8 percent of children under five acutely malnourished and 30 percent chronically malnourished, or stunted. In the most vulnerable neighborhoods, 14.4 percent of children under five are malnourished, Caritas, a nongovernmental organization, reported in July.

"Many families are having difficulties feeding older children, in part due to the decline of school meal programs. School attendance, which had already decreased due to the humanitarian emergency, has declined further because of Covid-19 restrictions. In-person classes, suspended in March, remained suspended at time of writing."

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2021/c … /venezuela

4. lovetherain profile image81
    lovetherainposted 13 months ago

There will be a new heaven and a new earth. The new Earth is already happening. Have you looked at any maps lately?

We also have new bodies.

MizBejabbersposted 13 months agoin reply to this

The new earth is happening in a process called "the Ascension" meaning ascending from a 3rd dimensional planet to a 5th dimensional planet. Likewise our bodies are ascending from carbon based to silicon based, which for most people is a painful process. Not everybody believes this and continues to pray to their "God" to save them while waiting for their "Rapture".

"Have you looked at maps lately?"

There is lot of concern over the rising oceans and climate change. Have you looked at the maps made by Gordon Michael Scallion that are a prediction for the future of the U.S.? Here's an article containing one and the "future plans of billionaires".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ … a2d2d14047

It isn't too far off from the predictions made for the U.S. in the latest copy of Venture Inward, the magazine from Edgar Cayce's A.R.E.

I don't think I have a new body yet. At least I hope not. I really don't want to keep this one for eternity. lol

Thank you for your view, Miz B. I believe our bodies exist here and on the astral plane in the form of light-bodies. The organs, basic forms and structures of the body are contained in a blue-print made of light. I believe that after we pass on to the astral plane, (if we do not ascend on earth), we stay there until the next opportunity to return to earth ... when the conditions are conducive for spiritual growth and the souls we wish to learn from are there. It is this blue-print which directs the process of incarnation the next time around. Our faces do not change much from incarnation to incarnation, I've heard.

"Likewise our bodies are ascending from carbon based to silicon based, which for most people is a painful process."

This is something I have never heard of.
        How does a body change from carbon to silicon

...  or are you joking? lol  ... that is is pretty funny smile

No ma'm, I'm not joking. I followed your explanation and it is pretty accurate to what I've been taught except that our bodies right now are not light bodies. However, something about the ascension process is changing our carbon-based bodies into silicon based bodies so they can hhold more light. Is it only temporary? I don't know.  Perhaps it's just a step toward light bodies. Check with some of the most prominent teachers of this time:  the Late James Tyberon, Prageet Harris of Stargates International, Steve Rother of Espavo. I'm just quoting them. I don't understand the chronology of the whole process, and I wish some expert would make it plainer. But light bodies are needed for living on planets in the 5th dimension. I don't know if silicon based bodies are needed for life on earth between now and full 5th dimensional life, or if new bodies on the ascended earth will be silicon-based because humans won't be as advanced as planets like Arcturus. I've been studying about the ascension process for almost 10 years now, and I think we are being given information on an "as needed" basis. Apparentily I don't need to know it all yet.

Here's one website that explains changes to silicon based bodies.

https://www.healingenergytools.com/crystalline-bodies/

But hey, thanks for not totally blowing off my statement. My laughing emoji was for my statement that I didn't want to keep this body for eternity.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Thanks Love the Rain, for Your View.

The Way I See It:

We are little crumbs of humanity and a bunch of know-nothings.
    Yet, we act like we are huge, giant wonderful specimens of glowing magnificence. We have all the answers and all the solutions to the human dilemma. We act like we designed the expansive eco-system of nature and our digestive systems ... We created all the beauty, colors, forms and intricacies of nature ... We designed our amazing human bodies and We puffed out the hugeness of our universe and all the other universes.

Misery is what we are actually creating, with all our magnificence.

We need to find the fail-safe to our ignorance and destructive ways.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Its a matter of poverty for those who send their money out of country to family members who need financial help. This practice is detrimental on many levels. One is that the people you send your money to become dependent and lazy, all because of your good intentions. The second is that you yourself will not have enough money and end up living in a state of perpetual poverty, thanks to deeply ingrained familial devotion. You might even stoop to a life of crime to make extra money on the side.

Green cards are hard to come by, you wouldn't want to loose that card because of something stupid you might be tempted to do in generating extra cash. After all, when money becomes scarce due to corruption, people become desperate and they loose sight of all ideals.
    So really, I would ask, what good are ideals, in the end, after everything collapses and now you're on the road either in various types of vehicles or on-foot.
    Its a horrible situation to contemplate. I suggest people watch or read, "The Road."

On second thought, remembering and living according to one's ideals may be the only thing that generates inner happiness in any situation, good or bad.

If everything collapses, then we are back to tribalism, especially if the population is drastically reduced by covid. Without a strong centralized government, then bartering may be the only means of survival in a tribal society.
      Is The Road a book? Sounds interesting. Who is the author?

1. Castlepaloma profile image73
          Castlepalomaposted 12 months agoin reply to this

I've been trading since 2005. Food and housing.
          Most spiritual.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)