Did Ya Hear What Yellen Said? Is She A Racists?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (85 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image86
    Sharlee01posted 2 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/15993371_f1024.jpg

Overturning Roe v. Wade would be ‘damaging’ to the economy ...

"Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Tuesday said eliminating women’s access to abortion would have “very damaging effects” on the US economy, keeping some women from completing their educations and reducing their lifetime earnings potential and participation in the labor force.

Yellen’s comments at a Senate Banking Committee hearing came just over a week after the leak of a draft Supreme Court decision that would overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 ruling that established a constitutional right to abortion. The pending decision has raised fears that many more states would enact far-reaching abortion restrictions.

The issue dominated a hearing about Treasury’s Financial Stability Oversight Council annual report.

Yellen, the first female Treasury secretary, said in response to a senator’s question that research has shown that Roe v. Wade had a favorable impact on the well-being of children and that denying women access to abortions increases their odds of living in poverty or on public assistance.

“I believe that eliminating the rights of women to make decisions about when and whether to have children would have very damaging effects on the economy and would set women back decades,” Yellen said

Yellen’s comments drew a rebuke from Republican Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, who said her framing of the economic consequences of the abortion debate were “harsh” and inappropriate for such a painful social issue.

“I think people can disagree on the issue of being pro-life or pro-abortion. But in the end, I think framing it in the context of labor force participation, it just feels callous to me,” said Scott, adding that he was raised by a Black single mother in poverty.

Yellen responded by saying that reproductive rights allow women to plan “fulfilling and satisfying” lives, which includes having the financial resources to raise a child.

“In many cases, abortions are of teenage women, particularly low-income and often Black, who aren’t in a position to be able to care for children, have unexpected pregnancies, and it deprives them of the ability often to continue their education to later participate in the workforce,” Yellen said.

“So there is a spillover into labor force participation, but it means the children will grow up in poverty and do worse themselves,” Yellen said. “This is not harsh. This is the truth,” she added."

Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) later in the hearing pressed her on her answer, arguing that framing the issue of abortion around labor force participation “feels callous to me.”

“It means that children will grow up in poverty and do worse themselves,” Yellen responded. “This is not harsh. This is the truth.”

Scott said there was plenty of room to discuss child care, financial literacy and child tax credits to improve outcomes for American kids.

“I’ll just say that as a guy raised by a Black woman in abject poverty, I am thankful to be here as a United States senator,” he said."

Margret Sanger would have been so pleased with Yellen's sentiments.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
      Fayetteville Fayeposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A ban on abortion, In certain states or the federal ban which Mitch McConnell is floating will definitely profoundly affect lower income women . They simply won't have the means to travel out of state or eventually out of the country to receive the abortion that their financially well off counterparts will be able to. Research has also made clear that denying women access to abortions increases "their odds of living in poverty or in need for public assistance."

Let's just look at Mississippi.

Mississippi is one of the poorest states, and people in low-wage jobs often don’t receive health insurance. Women can enroll in Medicaid during pregnancy, but that coverage disappears soon after they give birth. The Legislature killed a proposal to expand postpartum Medicaid coverage in 2021.

Mississippi has the highest infant mortality rate in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Black infants were about twice as likely as white infants to die during the first year of life in Mississippi, according to the March of Dimes.

Across the country, U.S. Census Bureau information analyzed by The Associated Press shows fewer Black and Hispanic women have health insurance, especially in states with tight abortion restrictions. For example, in Texas, Mississippi and Georgia, at least 16% of Black women and 36% of Latinas were uninsured in 2019, some of the highest such rates in the country.

Problems are compounded in states without effective education programs about reproduction. Mississippi law says sex education in public schools must emphasize abstinence to avoid pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Discussion of abortion is forbidden, and instructors may not demonstrate how to use condoms or other contraception.

Outside the only abortion clinic operating in Mississippi, protesters hand out brochures that refer to abortion as Black “genocide” and say the late Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood and a proponent of eugenics, “desired to eradicate minorities.” The brochures compare Sanger to Adolf Hitler and proclaim: “Black lives did not matter to Margaret Sanger!”

The Mississippi clinic is not affiliated with Planned Parenthood, and Planned Parenthood itself denounces Sanger’s belief in eugenics.

if the U.S. Supreme Court allows states to further restrict or even ban abortions, minority women will bear the brunt of it, according to statistics.

In Mississippi, people of color comprise 44% of the population but 80% of women receiving abortions, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, which tracks health statistics.

In Texas, they’re 59% of the population and 74% of those receiving abortions. The numbers in Alabama are 35% and 70%. In Louisiana, minorities represent 42% of the population, according to the state Health Department, and about 72% of those receiving abortions.

These are just the facts. Nearly half of women who have abortions live below the federal poverty level. Of course the upcoming Supreme Court ruling Will disproportionately affect people of color.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/06/10970653 … le-of-colo
      https://19thnews.org/2021/09/abortion-e … texas-law/

1. gmwilliams profile image82
        gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, access to abortion gives lower income women better lives- they don't have to raise children in impoverished circumstances.  They can have the opportunity to better themselves educationally & socioeconomically so when they DO & IF they have children, such children would be raised in better circumstances.

2. gmwilliams profile image82

Yellen is right.  When girls & women didn't have access to abortion, many had their goals slashed.   Many had to raise children in poverty.  Many had hellish lives.  This is THE UNADULERATED truth which pro-lifers REFUSE to acknowledge through their myopic rose-colored delusion.   Having access to abortion means that girls & women don't have to give up their educational & socioeconomic goals.   Yellen IS RIGHT.   NEXT.

2. Credence2 profile image80
    Credence2posted 2 years ago

Of course, Tim Scott must "parrot" the party line or pay politically.

I hope this Abortion issue stirs up the Left like the CRT thing got the Rightwinger climbing the walls.

For conservatives to imply genocide against the Black community due to availability of abortion is just another trick. Conservatives and Republicans otherwise couldn't care less about the well being of underserved people in this society.

When it comes to conservatives and their objectives, you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you will never fool me at any time.

This is an interesting articles that points to the flaws in Justice Alioto's judicial reasoning on this issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/opin … ntion.html

1. GA Anderson profile image81
      GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Are you sure "imply" was the word you wanted? You have historical statistical data supporting the thought that Blacks will be disproportionately impacted. Still, I think dozens of reasons cause that data, and a conservative desire for Black genocide isn't one of them.

On matters like this, I think everyone's "conservative" label requires a conditioner to be most accurate: '[R]religious', as in Religious conservatives. You can add other choice adjectives, but I think it's only fair to add that conditioner. Otherwise, your brush is so broad you are painting your neighbor's house too.

GA

1. Credence2 profile image80
        Credence2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

But, GA, aren't you all marching to the beat of the same drummer? Well, most of you, anyway.

We are disproportionately impacted in almost every negative indicator in this society, as it is.

While your argument makes a point, the availability of safe abortion is not being coerced. You are right, as statistics show that more black females have resorted to abortion in the last few years. But, the poor and economically disadvantaged would tend to do that. In a society that would deny assisting school age children with lunches, the ability to control the size of your family and not incur an economic burden everytime one choose a "roll in the hay" is crucial. That is not genocide as the Right likes to refer to Margaret Sanger and involuntary sterization. Assist in improving the economic circumstances for people is how you reduce the need for abortions.

Black women as a group will tell you that the conservatives' arguments are just so much bunk.....

Do all of you march to the same drummer? Otherwise, your points are fair ones, even your agreement that this contraception issue isn't about conservatives pushing the genocide of Blacks. Their efforts are not an implication that they do.

As for conservative arguments, (in this case, about personal responsibility and choices), being "bunk", consider how casually you dismissed a primary reason for unwanted pregnancies: ". . . everytime one choose a "roll in the hay" . . . ".

If a chance of an unwanted pregnancy is completely avoidable, solely by a personal choice, then your finger shouldn't be pointed at everyone else but the decision-maker.

Wait, you don't get to chide me about the reality of the irresistible force of human nature and its sex drive, I readily admit it is real. Still, it does involve a choice, and it should be hard to defend an irresponsible one. And certainly inappropriate to blame someone else, (like conservatives).

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image71
            Ken Burgessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What is the Supreme Court suggesting?

Is it that it is not protected under the constitution?

Are they making it illegal or merely leaving it to states?

Does this mean that all the hyperbolic concern is that the right of determining when and how an abortion is performed is reverting to the States?

The Supreme Court in striking down Roe is saying that abotion is not protected under the Constitution. They will end a half-century guarantee of federal constitutional protection of abortion. That means it automatically reverts to the states.

So, it reverts to the States to decide what's acceptable and what is not.

This doctor gives testimony to a House committee as to what abortion is, and how it differs based on how many weeks have passed.

https://youtu.be/OZXQBhTszpU

At some point, it goes from removal of cells that are becoming a human, to murder of a human.

I am not arguing one way or the other, but I like to deal with reality.  Both my boys were C-sectioned in the eighth month, I consider the abortion of a child in the eighth or ninth month to be murder.

But that's just my opinion.

I am not arguing one way or the other, but I like to deal with reality.  Both my boys were C-sectioned in the eighth month, I consider the abortion of a child in the eighth or ninth month to be murder.
                  ----------
                  Nobody is arguing that aborting a fetus at the 8th or 9th month should not involve the authorities as the fetus at this level of development may well be viable or could survive outside the womb. But a zygote?

It looks as if (quick research) there are a few states that have progressed past roe vs Wade to have no limits on abortions.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image60

The majority of abortions, according to the CDC take  place early in gestation: 92.7% of abortions were performed at ≤13 weeks’ gestation; a smaller number of abortions (6.2%) were performed at 14–20 weeks’ gestation, and even fewer (<1.0%) were performed at ≥21 weeks’ gestation.

Sadly there are conditions (neurologic anomalies, multiple malformations  and chromosomal anomalies)  that may necessitate abortion later on in a pregnancy.  But also very sadly, One-third of late terminations of pregnancy could have been avoided by more efficient screening in the second trimester. Many women are receiving little to no prenatal care whatsoever.  In this debate I hear little to nothing about the lack of healthcare and resources that may help reduce the number of abortions in our country.
                  I also  believe it is awfully callous to believe that these later term abortions are women who just decided  on a whim  at a later date to abort and a doctor had no problem ethically going along.  I believe that in more cases than not these are women who planned on delivering a healthy baby yet were met with catastrophic complications.

I'm awfully tired of usually men, vilifying women who seek abortion as some kind of monsters.  In this instance especially We're talking about women who have perhaps chosen the name, women who have purchased the crib, families that then get the most devastating medical news of their lifetime, something about the health or the life of the mother or baby that forces them to make an impossible, unthinkable choice.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10426234/

1. gmwilliams profile image82

+10000000000000000000.

3. profile image0
                  savvydatingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify, these cells you speak of are already humans. They were humans at conception. They did not become humans at some later point. As my son likes to say, "It is not as if women give birth to toasters".

Here is the consensus of biologists.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm … iologists,(5212%20out%20of%205502)

Then you would essentially outlaw contraception?

2. GA Anderson profile image81

There is an argument that your answer would be more accurate as your interpretation of what the Court will say. What the Court will, (most likely), really say is that the Roe Court's reasoning was wrong.

It appears they are saying that the Roe Court was wrong because it used an incorrect extrapolation. Your statement could, (probably, possibly?), be true relative to the result of their decision, but it hasn't been shown that this Court's deliberations involved the constitutional status of abortion in any scope other than that of the Roe Court.

This Court isn't saying abortion is not protected, it is saying it isn't protected the way Roe said it was.

As a note, relative to this comment, it all comes from media and forum presentations. I don't have much depth but I think what I do know is true and covers what I said. Still, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

GA

3. gmwilliams profile image82

Unfortunately, there are some states that are progressive while there are some that are downright medieval into primitive-need I say more.

They used to leave Slavery, Jim Crow laws up to the States too, Ken. Who would get on board with that? Merely leaving it to the states may well not be good enough.

Well, Mitch McConnell has already signaled a willingness to entertain a federal ban on abortion should Republicans be in the position to do so in the future.

It is things like this that make me believe they all (those long tenured DC corrupt politicians) are in cahoots.

Why else would you take such a agitative position and make it public unless you wanted the 'other side' to be able to use it to rally support and energize the base.

Of course, it does make sense when considering the economy issues we are having, anything to distract from those issues.

This is BIG distraction, Ken.

And you can bet that the "old crow" could not resist the opportunity. So it has moved from an issue of states rights to an outright control over women's bodies, nationwide.

What can be done?

Thank you.  Anyone who stresses state law doesn't have an understanding of history.   That is why there is federal law.   I am totally aghast at the logic of some people Credence.

3. GA Anderson profile image81

Hmm . . . Those look like 'leading' questions Ken. I will channel Cred's* answers for you.

This Court is "suggesting" that the Court of the Roe decision was wrong, abortion is not a constitutional right.

Yes, the Supreme Court is saying that abortion isn't constitutionally protected. I say it is, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a duck.

Sure, they say they are leaving it up to the states, but look what the states are preparing to do, and those Rightwing Justices knew they would, so yes, they're just using the backdoor to make it illegal.

Our concerns aren't hyperbolic, the Rightwing states are showing our concerns are very real and as serious as heartburn.

*Forgive me Cred, I had time on my hands and that devil on my shoulder. Go ahead and give me a return shot. I deserve it, but, if we can't pick on our buds, who can we pick on?

** If it helps, I remember criticizing 'horseback' a lot, a bunch of years ago, and even Wilderness, once, when Obama was president, (I think).  ;-)

GA

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that abortion is protected by the constitution.

It has been, for almost 50 years.
                  Roe v. Wade, was the  legal case in which the U.S. Supreme Court on January 22, 1973, ruled (7–2) that unduly restrictive state regulation of abortion is unconstitutional. In a majority opinion written by Justice Harry A. Blackmun, the Court held that a set of Texas statutes criminalizing abortion in most instances violated a woman’s constitutional right of privacy, which it found to be implicit in the liberty guarantee of the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment (“…nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law”).

You going to have to wait for Cred on that one. I was just the warm-up act.

GA

3. Credence2 profile image80

Then what is the basis that any activity that might be considered as private be protected by the Constitution?

4. profile image0
                  savvydatingposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It is not protected. The Constitution gives humans the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Unborn humans are still humans.

Dr. Bernard Nathanson was behind Roe vs. Wade. "He admitted that he and other doctors manipulated the media by inflating the number of “back-alley abortions” performed and deaths resulting from them to make them seem far more dangerous than they were in reality to the public eye.

He also said,

“Another myth we fed to the public through the media was that legalizing abortion would only mean that the abortions taking place illegally would then be done legally,” he wrote. “In fact, of course, abortion is now being used as a primary method of birth control in the U.S. and the annual number of abortions has increased by 1500% since legalization.”

As for Yellen, it is an abomination that she would suggest that abortions are a way to control the economy. Black women and all minorities deserve better than that. I should know. I am one of them and I raised my son with little money. Today, he is an outstanding young man. My life and this world is so much better because he is in it.

*Forgive me Cred, I had time on my hands and that devil on my shoulder. Go ahead and give me a return shot. I deserve it, but, if we can't pick on our buds, who can we pick on

What is there to forgive, GA? You said it as least as well as did I.

Unwanted pregnancies is always a risk associated with sexual relations. And if I did not know better, but I probably do, the real impetus behind all of this is population control. If you give the zygote rights of a fully developed infant and you know that you could be prosecuted from the moment or even before you know that you have become pregnant, it would put a damper on any sexual relationships, as that risk is constantly over your head. The Rightwinger is both dirty and dastardly and I would not put this past them. A nice way to keep Minority women from procreating, by inhibiting them from "making babies" in the first place.

It is beyond the pale to create these sorts of provisions in the law, they are already after the "morning after" pills. Next it will be IUD and tying women up to prevent their leaving the state for an abortion. It is all spelled out in the article. So, you think that I can believe anything the Right proposes or not acknowledge the rightwing activism of today's Supreme Court?

Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

"A nice way to keep Minority women from procreating, by inhibiting them from "making babies" in the first place."

Or as Yellen said make sure the poor mostly black women can continue to get easy abortions... My God, his words are so racist, and you seem to let that go over your head.

She more or less said we need to consider the economy,  and abortion of black babies would help decrease economic problems. by mom being able to continue her education.  Nice bandaid.

Hey, she was very much honest about what she feels needs to be done with poor and black women to decrease our Country's economic problems.

This sits poorly with me.  Again I feel education is the best solution to most problems, not the simple solution of abortion to make sure these poor and black children do not become a burden on our
              economy. Yes, I can see her point, but it's a stark solution.

And I will add -- I am 100% positive if a Republican would had made that statement -- black people would be up arms.

And they would have been very justified in pointing out such a racist statement.

Ok, I am weighing in on this.

I don't think that any abortion is "easy". The choice under the conditions of Roe vs Wade was still theirs to make. Conservatives seem to indicate that Black women are being exploited regarding the choices that they themselves make. It the same old concept that other people know more about your situation than you do when you are the one directly affected.

The structural inequities of this society makes this perfect, ideal nuclear family situation out of reach for many black families.

Education is an adjunct to not legislating draconian law that can only serve to make a bad problem worse.

I am not upset by the statement because abortion and its necessity are often times governed by economic circumstance, nothing new there. But I may not have put that in quite the way she did, however.

2. Fayetteville Faye profile image60

This sits poorly with me.  Again I feel education is the best solution to most problems

Yes, why are we always scrambling to address issues in this country after the horse is already out of the barn?  We are sitting on quite a lot of research and data that could help to shape programs that would reduce the number of abortions in this country, isn't that the goal?  Instead of criminalizing why aren't politicians moving toward prevention? Is this not a moment for bipartisanship?

Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful point... I feel education is the answer. Great insight Faye...

Holy cow. I get it now. You started smoking weed, didn't you?

A motive of population control? You go bro. Power to the people.

*I know, I gotta stop, but you gotta help me. Stop leaving so many open doors to walk through. ;-)

GA

It is just a theory to explain draconian policies....

3. gmwilliams profile image82

Regressives want women to return to the Dark Ages, pure & simple.  To the regressive, a woman's function is to be an incubator.

3. IslandBites profile image91
            IslandBitesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm so confused. Or maybe you misunderstood? I believe the argument was that one of the anti-choose conservatives talking points is that Planned Parentood (and abortion in general) wants/are guilty of Black Genocide.

Fay: Outside the only abortion clinic operating in Mississippi, protesters hand out brochures that refer to abortion as Black “genocide”

Cred: For conservatives to imply genocide against the Black community due to availability of abortion is just another trick.

GA: Still, I think dozens of reasons cause that data, and a conservative desire for Black genocide isn't one of them.

Cred: In a society that would deny assisting school age children with lunches, the ability to control the size of your family and not incur an economic burden everytime one choose a "roll in the hay" is crucial. That is not genocide as the Right likes to refer to Margaret Sanger and involuntary sterilization.

GA: even your agreement that this contraception issue isn't about conservatives pushing the genocide of Blacks.

Wasn't that his point from the beginning? hmm

You're confused, and I was lost. 

But now I am found.

I did misunderstand the point of "implying" and went off-track criticizing it.

But that criticism wouldn't have been wrong if I had been right. My misunderstanding could be Cred's fault. If he hadn't strung the tripwire of painting all conservatives with the actions of a minority of radicals, (like you, with your "anti-choosers talking points?), then I would have strolled merrily along without falling for his bait.

Yep, like I said. It's Cred's fault.

GA

OK, Now, I take offense, my fault?

Look at the majority GOP state legislatures, there has to be a lot of Rightwingers on board with the draconian policies for such a thing to see the light of the day among so called reasonable people. Looking at Republican policies today, and how so many of you adhere and embrace them, then you all have to be radicals under the skin.

Yep, it's your fault. It has to be somebody's fault and there are only two of us involved, so it must be your fault.

I was wrong once back in '78, so now it's your turn.

GA ;-)

Maybe I had better ask what have you been smokin'?

2. IslandBites profile image91
                IslandBitesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

But that criticism wouldn't have been wrong if I had been right. My misunderstanding could be Cred's fault.

lol  You can't help it, huh?

Btw, "anti-choosers"

I've just read what I wrote. LOL
                Oops! big_smile

Nope, I can't help it, it's my duty.

GA

Conservatives want women to be non-sexual except in marriage, being submissive to the husband & for procreative purposes.  Are we going to become quiverfull?  Well, that is what the conservatives want-quiverfull women.

Gus, low income women i.e. the underclass, lower, working, & lower middle class women(regardless of race) will be negatively affected by the overturning of Roe vs Wade.   Solidly middle class & more affluent women regardless of race won't be thus affected.   Credence2's argument is sound.

The abortion issue is my Man of La Mancha.  I have been for abortion rights since college.   I have got into countless arguments w/my late mother over the issue of abortion.  I am staunchly for abortion which I consider healthcare.  Why should a girl or woman be punished by having an unwanted pregnancy/unwanted children.  That idea is beyond draconian on its premise.   "Justice" Alito or rather Henchman Alitio wants women to return to the Dark Ages literally.

3. Ken Burgess profile image71
    Ken Burgessposted 2 years ago

The question I have, is why do we care what Yoda... I mean Yellen's opinion is?

Did she have the stats and statistics proving her point?  Has history shown it makes s difference on poverty levels?

I think poverty has a lot more to do with corporations, CEOs, Wall Street, politicians ensuring the people get fleeced while the rich get richer, than whether it is legal to have an abortion at 9 months or not.

Women who want an abortion but are denied one are more likely to spend years living in poverty than women who have abortions. Many study's have shown links.

Carrying an unwanted pregnancy to term quadrupled the odds that a new mother and her child would live below the federal poverty line, researchers reported in the American Journal of Public Health

Additionally, "We find that being denied an abortion has large and persistent effects on financial distress that are sustained for five years following the intended abortion," wrote the report's authors, Sarah Miller of the University of Michigan, Laura Wheery of the University of California at Los Angeles and Diana Foster of of the University of California at San Francisco.

Economists also have applied these robust statistical tools to study the causal effects of abortion access. Research drawing on methods from the “credibility revolution” disentangles the effects of abortion policy from other societal and economic forces. This research demonstrates that abortion access does, in fact, profoundly affect women’s lives by determining whether, when, and under what circumstances they become mothers, outcomes which then reverberate through their lives, affecting marriage patterns, educational attainment, labor force participation, and earnings.
      I won't overburden with more.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/what … ens-lives/

1. Readmikenow profile image95
        Readmikenowposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well, then, should women who carry their child to term and find themselves in a bad economic situation, should they then be permitted to "terminate" their children for economic reasons?  If economic reasons are the reason to "terminate" a child, what is the difference between it being a pregnancy or having a child?  According to you, children are the cause for a woman's economic distress.  In one instance, you can legally take a life, but once they are born, it's against the law.

What's difference does it make?

If economics is the major determining factor, shouldn't that determine if a child lives or dies whether in the womb or outside of it?

No, all I'm saying is that I agree with Janet Yellen's statement that abortion has economic consequences in our country. Research and data supports this as well. What I'm saying is that it would certainly make some sense to focus on prevention. Family planning centers that provide education and contraception have been shown to reduce the rate of abortion that in turn has positive effects on poverty and the economy.  I feel it's shortsighted for politicians in this country to be focusing on this issue as if banning abortion is the only option. It's certainly will not stop the procedure and it does absolutely nothing to address prevention.  But additionally, If we know the economic impacts that carrying these pregnancies to term will be, then where are the programs to ameliorate difficulties on this end? Maternal healthcare, prenatal care, affordable daycare, universal Pre-K?   Banning abortion isn't a solution to anything. Politicians talking about bolstering their foster care system in expectation of the ban is not a solution either.  It's yet another Band-Aid. I wish that people could get more riled up about the governments inability to effectively deal with issues with tangible solutions.

You didn't answer the question.

If you can take the life of an unborn child because a mother is in a difficult economic situation, why shouldn't a mother be able to take the life of a born child if they are difficult economic circumstances.

If economic situation is the determining factor for deciding on letting a child live or die, what difference does it make if it is in the womb or born?

According to you the economic situation a woman finds herself should determine if a child lives or dies.

What difference does it make?

Your question gets to the argument of when life begins and is viable.  You really see no difference between a child that has been born or a non viable fetus? Also no one said that an economic situation should dictate abortion.  The impact was noted on the economy of our country as well as the economic situation of the individual. Recognizing a situation doesn't mean you're automatically promoting it.  You're reducing this down to a premise that is entirely over simplistic.  Women choose a legal abortion within the time frame stated by law for many reasons. 
              Your argument sounds like you are advancing the idea of personhood at the moment of fertilization.

"You really see no difference between a child that has been born or a non viable fetus?"

Nope, this, right now is two former zygotes having a discussion.

"The impact was noted on the economy of our country as well as the economic situation of the individual."

And your solution to remedy this economic situation is the death of unborn children...right?

"Women choose a legal abortion within the time frame stated by law for many reasons."

I bet one of them is a desire to not take responsibility for their actions.

"Your argument sounds like you are advancing the idea of personhood at the moment of fertilization."

Yes, said the former one celled person to another.

"And your solution to remedy this economic situation is the death of unborn children...right?"

No. Again I have not said that. You're oversimplifying my view. I understand the issue of abortion to be so much more complex than apparently most do.  My solution would be to have programs to address these women and girls where they are in life. Family planning clinics, contraception and counseling. Do you realize that in Mississippi, a state with the second-highest teen pregnancy rate ( 76 pregnancies per 1,000 women ages 15 to 19 ) , teachers are forbidden from demonstrating how to use a condom?
                  This is an issue that should be between a woman and her doctor not a woman and  her state representative.  I also do not accept the argument that abortion is solely and merely the result of irresponsibility on the woman's part. Where's the counterpart in this? Like I said before, vasectomies are irreversible. Should we have a national program of vasectomy at 12 for males which can be reversed when they have proven to the state  that they are financially and mentally stable to care for a child. How about child support beginning at fertilization? It takes two tango.  I'm sorry, all abortions are not sought purely out of irresponsibility.
                  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you are that concerned about abortion you would pressure your representative for programs that are based in research and have shown success to address the issue. Abortion bans will never stop abortion. Also, You would support programs that would help these babies when they are born to have a shot at a normal productive life rather than being surrendered to the foster care system or dropped off at the fire station. Like I said before, you would be all for universal health care, universal daycare and pre-k. It's not pro-life it's whole life.

"How about child support beginning at fertilization? It takes two tango."

I completely agree.  Males should be held responsible for any woman's pregnancy. It is up to the women to hold the men responsible.  Too many women don't want to bother the father.  This is wrong.  He should be bothered and required to financially support that child into adulthood.  We now have DNA testing, so there is no excuse for men not being made responsible for any female they get pregnant. Unfortunately, this is also a woman's choice.   

"You would support programs that would help these babies when they are born to have a shot at a normal productive life rather than being surrendered to the foster care system or dropped off at the fire station."

Yes, it's called making men responsible for their actions.  Making them pay for the children they helped create. Also, there are many children who are born and raised in bad families.  They don't have a chance at a productive life. Should they be "terminated"? 

Do you know about the pro life candidate running for the Senate in PA?

Her name is Kathy Barnnette and she has an incredible story.

"I am the byproduct of a rape," Barnette declared. "My mother was 11 years old when I was conceived. My father was 21. I was not just a lump of cells. As you can see, I'm still not just a lump of cells. My life has value."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kathy- … nia-senate

"you would be all for universal health care, universal daycare and pre-k."

I don't agree with that at all.  Unwed mothers get care.  There are many federal programs for them and where I live as well as many state programs that provide everything from diapers, school, childcare etc. They get so much care they don't feel they need to have the father of their children in their life.  These guys get a free ride because the government takes over their responsibility.  I don't think dependence on the government helps anything.  It only makes things worse.

Again +1000000000000000. Again, women's issues according to conservatives are deemed subversive & must be squashed somehow.

Thank you Faye.  This is why I believe in abortion.  Nothing reduces a girl or woman to poverty than to have unplanned children or large families.

Because Yellen is RIGHT.  I knew this as a young teen.  That is why I am staunchly pro-contraceptive & believe in total reproductive freedom which includes abortion.   I know that teen pregnancy condemns a person to lifetime poverty-it is worse than being in a concentration camp.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)