jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

wasteful government spending...

1. SparklingJewel profile image64
    SparklingJewelposted 7 years ago

this is the kind of stuff that we should not be paying for...let them drink, hire prostitutes and over eat gourmet foods on their own dime, not mine...especially the president and congress and staffs

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … quor-bill/

1. Shadesbreath profile image86
      Shadesbreathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is how business is done in reality.  Drinking amongst deal makers (politicians, sales people, ambassadors, diplomats), particularly in Western culture, is a ritual.  Beyond the lowering of inhibitions, there is an unspoken recognition that "having a drink" means that the two people (groups) involved have moved the relationship to a closer place.  It is not tacit declaration of total trust (although it can become so), but it is an indicator of emotional opening.

I assure you that the minuscule expense shown in that article does not reflect even a tiny percentage of the actual booze bought in pursuit of our nation's diplomatic and economic business.  I know that I have been to weekend conferences where the sponsoring company paid more than $20,000 in bar tabs in only two days.  Not even BIG conferences.  That's only ONE company on ONE weekend.  Not a planet's worth of diplomacy.

It's reality.  Denying the government's right to do so would be akin to telling a soldier he can have a rifle but no bayonet.  Sure, it seems like one less negative thing, but do you really want to deny him that option, given that he's the one out there doing the country's dirty work?

1. SparklingJewel profile image64
        SparklingJewelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

YES!!!!   I want them sober and clear headed...you don't???

things are screwed up enough without all and more of the dead brain cells of diplomats running our countries hmm

geez, what a concept sober diplomats running the world

1. Shadesbreath profile image86
          Shadesbreathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Haha!  Yes, I can see your point.  But I have to tell you, good, sober deals are made by guys who trust each other.  They don't get hammered and then write out the details of a deal or a treaty, lol.  Well, some might, but their interns will catch the stupid stuff in the morning during edits.

Peace (and long term, mutually beneficial sales contracts) are made between two humans who trust each other.  The ritual of having a drink, and even of going out and getting blasted after a long, tiresome but productive debate, is how long term relationships are made. Not always, I'll grant that.  But not every human is the same. And a lot of them operate this way.

I totally understand your point, but I think that there is much, much more to the buying of booze than just the image of sodden, slush-mouthed politicians cavorting with harlots and slurring, "I love you man," to foreign ambassadors while signing scandalous bills.  It's just not like that in reality.  Well, not always.  lol

2. Jeff Berndt profile image86
      Jeff Berndtposted 7 years agoin reply to this

From the linked article:
      "Since 2004, records show alcohol purchases at the State Department a little more than $1 million. "

Oooh, a million dollars on booze since 2004. We're going straight to hell in a handbasket. In a handbasket, I tell you.

In contrast, the US spent over $700 Billion (that's Billion, with a "B") on defense in 2008.
      http://www.globalissues.org/article/75/ … oftheWorld

Sure, defense is expensive, but how does that explain that our defense spending is more than double that of the entire continent of Europe (most of which is allied to us through NATO, by the way), almost double that of Europe and China combined, and in total, almost 50% of world defense spending.

Think about that: a country that has 4.54% of the worlds population, spends 48% of the world's total defense budget.

You want responsible spending? Look at what gets appropriated for the defense department.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you have limitless power of spending money you are going to do that, baby, it's human nature, sorry. And don't tell me you are different you just do not have that power.

2. Padrino profile image57
        Padrinoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You may have noticed the U.S. hasn't been invaded in quite a few years, I would say the defense expenditures is money well spent.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image86
          Jeff Berndtposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"You may have noticed the U.S. hasn't been invaded in quite a few years, I would say the defense expenditures is money well spent." roll
          Neither has France, or the UK, or Holland.

This is the exact same logic:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ1a0ymG … re=related

2. SparklingJewel profile image64
    SparklingJewelposted 7 years ago

well, remembering a quote from a few years back...something like 90 dollars for one hammer, or some other ridiculous figure...I'd say there was a lot of wasteful spending going on...there is plenty to cut back on and clean up in organization and employment

did you read recent stats on the new million government jobs since Obama took office, all with salaries over 100,000 for more bureacracy and red tape

3. MikeNV profile image74
    MikeNVposted 7 years ago

The whole... well it's less than this or that logic is why the country is so messed up.

Things are either right or wrong.  And that's just how it is.

But people will find a way to justify anything they want.

I'm very much with you... if it's one dollar or $100 Billion that is spent frivolously - and it's wrong. Let me keep my money and use the money from those who don't seem to care how it's spent. How many of the it's less than this or that people would be okay with that?  I'll keep mine, you pay for the waste. After all those are the people that don't mind paying extra taxes... clearly they support it.

The United States is crashing aimlessly. There is no real leadership.

Every empire falls.  And if people can't see that then they deserve what they get.

For those of us who are preparing... it's not a pretty picture, but we'll at least have a jump on the masses.

working