Report on TEA Party rally

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (37 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Some of you have asked me to report on my husband's visit to today's TEA Party rally in my hometown today. He just got home, and I grilled him.

There were about 200 people in attendance, which is pretty good for such a small town, not to mention that it took place during the work day. No one was rude, shouting, or dressed as Hitler. President Obama was not even mentioned, which surprised me, but the HC law was discussed at one point. Johnny said it was more of a Constitutionalists' event. About 12-15 blacks were in attendance, but Johnny saw no Hispanics or Asians. What surprised my hubby most was running into an ex-co-worker who's a staunch democrat. This guy is seeing things differently since he retired and feels that the democratic party is becoming too "left" for him - his words, not mine. Only a few people were holding signs, most of which referred to taxes or to the Constitution. The mayor was there, too, along with candidates running for governor and other political offices.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

what?? No comments??

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Sounnds like regular Americans voicing their issues with the government. Thanks Habee!smile

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It may of been "regular Americans voicing their issues in your town, but if Palin was there it would of been different and you know it.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with hatred of any kind on either side. I just relate to the right a little more than I do with the left.smile

1. profile image0

well spoken and taken

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Kinda what I thought, sneako!

5. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

Cant be regular Americans! Regular Americans carry firearms and plot against the President, oh wait, that's extremists and they usually plot against Bush.

6. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Interesting. Your reports suggests (roughly) 7% of the attendees were black, from a state that's 30% black.

1. profile image0

Doug did you ever speak-out against Bush? Enough said.smile

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you talking about?

1. profile image0

Exercising your rights as a citizen of this country.smile

I'm glad I have your permission.

1. profile image57
              BumblePagesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

heh

2. profile image0

Now Doug you're not being very liberal.smile

2. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doug, our county is 65% white, 25% African American, 8% Hispanic, 1% Asian, and 1% other.

1. Padrino profile image61
        Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doug is an interesting guy.

Dead wrong on most everything but interesting nonetheless!

Padrino - I am flattered that you find me interesting - but I still won't go out with you.

1. profile image0

How about me? We can have watercress sandwiches and tofu!big_smile

I wouldn't feed that to my cat.

1. profile image0

Well I never! You rude little liberal you!big_smile

2. Doug Hughes profile image60

Habee - I stand corrected on the exact numbers. They do tend to bear out my suggestion that blacks were under-represented.

1. habee profile image92

I agree, Doug. The Hispanics were even more under-represented. See, I seek the truth without spin.

Absolutely true, Rose.

1. habee profile image92

hahahahaha!!!!!

2. Padrino profile image61

You can't make any race go to a thing like that, they either agree with the group and will show up or they disagree and don't show up.

Point is the cause of the under representation was they disagree with the group or at least seem to.

7. profile image57
    BumblePagesposted 14 years ago

Why were you counting blacks?

1. habee profile image92

I asked my husband to get the demographics of the meeting. He also counted whites, Hispanics, and Asians.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

There were about 30 of them in front of the courthouse in Flagstaff.  Animal control took care of them.  Next month it'll be rabid bats.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Many of our Hispanics are illegal farm workers and aren't big on rallies of any sort. They prefer to stay rather hidden. These people are so mistreated by some of the employers who use intimidation to keep the Hispanics under their collective thumbs.

1. Padrino profile image61

That's the result of entering into a Country illegally, it's not right but that's what happens.

2. JWestCattle profile image60
      JWestCattleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it is quite a racist attitude on the part of the folks here who even brought up the racial breakdown of your town's meeting as being un-representative of the population.  The forcing of race into the milieu of Democratic vs Republican politics has completely, and perhaps irreparably, destroyed any ability to communicate with reason and rational discussion -- and the fault lies with the liberals who have injected it with great purpose.  It likely would be no different if Palin or another woman were in office, the opposing party would be screaming sexism, and wanting to know how many males vs females were present at a protest.

Habee - this is your post, so you make the call. Have liberals 'injected' race into this post? I amplified a comment you made for your own reasons, but I don't think either of us "destroyed any ability to communicate with reason".

1. profile image0

Habee,

Thank you for the information on the rally in your town, it is nice to hear first hand from someone who has been to one of these rally’s and to tell us the variety of ethnics who were  there, because we are so misinformed who is in the “Tea Party”, and every rally is different.

To all the others, understand this is not a racial post it is describing what ethnics groups attended the rally.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

The reason I included the demographic makeup of the TEA Party rally my husband attended today was in answer to another forum discussion from last night. As far as this specific thread goes, I brought up the racial factor, but I wasn't trying to be "racist." It's my fault. Blame it on me. But honestly, if you really knew me, you'd know that I'm far from being a racist.

Do I think there are racists in the TEA Party? Yes. In the Republican party? Yes. In the Democratic party? Yes. Among independents? Yes. Every group has its bad eggs. All the TEA Party members, the repubs, the dems, and the independents I know personally are all good people who are not racists. But then again, I try to surround myself with such people.

11. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

What you have said here rings of truth habee. People are people in the main. I do not like the extremes either. smile

12. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

attendance at the rally in the twin cities (st.paul MN)was smaller than last year, only several thousand at the one point in the evening(i spoke with one of the security people that know this stuff)...I didn't go around counting, but mostly white, though we did have entertainment...a hispanic rapper, an irish singer, a canadian born radio host: there was also an asian speaker, and a black candidate for state representative speaker amongst all the white speakers

there were plenty of kids in the crowd, and youth...I was passing out cards for the "Articles of Freedom" and spoke with two different groups of young constitutional law students (there are several good law schools in the twin cities).

five of the local news media vans showed up, probably expecting over 10,000 like we had last year...

Madison WI had a huge crowd

I will be back with a link that has photos of several rallies across America....

couldn't find the one i saw earlier, but there are many posted: just google tax day tea party rallies

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)