The diamond engagement ring - Is it morally right?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. EpicNoob profile image41
    EpicNoobposted 13 years ago

From around the 15th century, the diamond ring has been the symbol of engagement between two lovers - as a precursor to marriage. But this raises a moral dilemma as to the ethics behind where they actually come from (no, not Tiffany's). Sure, there're bound to be countless, legitimate diamond mines in those more economically developed countries such as in Yellowknife, Canada, but the majority of our diamonds come from some of the least developed countries on the planet where workers are far more vulnerable to exploitation.

It seems that the 'western' desire for these precious stones has led to civil wars in countries such as Sierra Leone - where diamond miners works just to be fed. Thus changing the name of these stones to 'blood diamonds' - diamonds associated with the arms and munitions trade.

Perhaps since this exploitation of less economically developed countries is so prevalent in almost all aspects of trade today diamonds aren't at the top of the list. But there's one difference between an engagement ring and a pair of Nike shoes - the fact that you never take it off.

What's your view?

1. optimus grimlock profile image60
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the symbolism of the ring is a good thing!The fact that people lose their lives over others symbolism is were this becomes immoral. As a society we have clearly lost our way and the diomond engagement ring is proof of this, wether you realise it or not is up to you. I think blood diomond open alot of people eyes to the truth of the diomond trade. Its sad when people dont take the time to realise were the stuff they buy actually comes from.

2. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The first time I was engaged, I received an expensive diamond engagement ring. I had asked for an antique ring, but that wasn't what he wanted to give (quite a sign of things to come). I didn't know the background of how many diamonds make it to the market, and I find it morally reprehensible now that I do know. I gave the ring back (for other reasons). Next time, I'm going to get what I actually want; an antique ring with a non-diamond that has some color in it. smile

2. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

I don't like diamonds.

Why can't an engagement ring have a pearl instead of a diamond? People get married in all kinds of ways but that ring always has a diamond. Diamonds are forever, right? Well, the other stones are forever too.
    This is one of the most successful marketing campaigns in history.

Another problem with diamond marketing:
    If these precious stones are so damn rare, as we are told, how can there possibly be so many jewelry stores selling them? How is it you can find them in the sleaziest pawn shop, if they're so damn rare? C'mon.

I'm just getting started.

The average consumer has no idea which grade of diamond is the most valuable. Oh - the salesman can explain that. How helpful.

Most people couldn't tell you the difference between a real and a fake.

Most people couldn't look at two diamonds and tell you which one has the better cut.

People will pay more for a stone that doesn't have flaws, even though the flawed one is the same carat and has the identical cut. And they can't even see the flaw.

I see this time after time with family & friends: the husband thinks that he has to buy the best diamond or his wife will think he's a schmuck. The wife thinks that her man really knows his stuff. Neither one actually has a clue - they just got played off of each other.

I needed cash so I sold my wedding ring. I went to 5 or 6 different places to get estimates and the best price I could get was from one of the pawn shops.

He paid me $25. Give me a break!

(I've got a pair of Nike shoes that have lasted longer than my marriage did. Granted I only wear them a couple times a month at most, but I bought them in 1995. So in my case, the shoes were MUCH more valuable than the diamond ring. hee hee)

3. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

That post got so long, I forgot to answer your question:

Morally right?

No, with a capital HELL.

smile

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Jen, how are you today?

As for the question/post- there are a lot of things that are morally right and many that are not. It depends on the actions of one who tries to obtain the diamond and who gets hurt in the process. This dilemma about where the diamonds come from isn't as much a concerned, but who died in the process is what has a bug up most people's arse.

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Howdy Ray

Congrats on your payout & on the interview! Good for you.

Have you seen a show called "Deadliest Catch"? It's about fishermen. It's a very dangerous profession. It seems like there is a death every season.

Apart from the obvious point that the fishermen are not being exploited, let's compare the two products.

A man does not walk into a restaurant and say "I'm hungry. I'm supposed to eat king crab" and then wait for the waiter to teach him what a king crab is. And why they are so expensive. And how to tell which one is best by analyzing the color of the crab's shell. And worrying the whole time about whether his wife will think he's a schmuck if he buys the wrong one.

He doesn't spend his money on the king crab that the salesman tells him is the best one, because he himself has no idea what he's buying.

No - he's willing to pay a high price because he really enjoys eating king crab.

The diamond market (I'm talking about average unwealthy people) is artificially created. People buy them because they think they are supposed to. There is no alternative, competing product to keep the prices reasonable.

If my ex had spent that money on a really nice ring, instead of an official "Diamond Engagement Ring", he would have gotten better quality for the amount he spent. And I maybe would have been able to buy more groceries that week I pawned it. 'Cuz he got sold a cheap POS.
      wink

5. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

I'm sure there's exploitation somewhere in the process of a lot of things we buy as consumers. It's so hidden, it's hard to know and some unscrupulous types will actively lie to conceal these things.

I like to avoid animal testing, but then I realise that even though the company doesn't test it does not mean the ingredients haven't been tested on animals by others before being incorporated into the product.

Sometimes I just want to go and live in the woods and make my own things out of bark and twine.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you Jen. The interview was a huge surprise, but the payout was expected. wink big_smile

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

You don't have to buy diamonds (or anything else) from places which dig up or manufacture goods in ways that make you feel uncomfortable.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Blood diamonds are an appropriate symbol of the pain and suffering a wife inflicts on her husband.

(oh crap! she saw that.  I'm in trouble.)

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

... especially if she doesn't get any

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)