jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Should an engagement ring be a diamond ring?

1. jon smith profile image57
    jon smithposted 7 years ago

Should an engagement ring be a diamond ring?

2. cloudy_cool profile image74
    cloudy_coolposted 7 years ago

Not necessarily...in an idealistic world - the idea of 'engagement' is to accept/acknowledge a person for a long term relationship called marriage. 'How' one expresses it is completely an individual choice and the strength of their relationship. There have been couples in history who celebrate this happy day by slipping a mere rubberband or a thread onto the ring finger, and have survived! After all, a diamond is merely a piece of rock...!

However, if its a social requirement where the couple is expected to follow some or all of the 'traditional'/ 'religious' or 'to prove their social status' etc...then its mostly non-negotiable.

The final motive is to settle down for life with the one you love...how you celebrate each milestone is based on your understanding towards each other/ personal strength...and most importantly - your pocket!! Afterall, which woman would not like to have a shining diamond to display?

3. beauty guru profile image56
    beauty guruposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4482680_f260.jpg

my honest opinion would be yes it should. It looks beautiful on all women and thats kidda what they are expecting. But if a women is very unique they might want something a lil different, but 9 times out of 10 they have been dreaming of that diamond.

4. petulantM profile image83
    petulantMposted 7 years ago

Not always.  An engagement ring can be a family heirloom, an antique/vintage, or anything that is a symbol and token of your love, affection, esteem, and desire to spend the rest of your life with the other person.  While a diamond engagement ring is traditional, many women prefer non-traditional rings and/or to elope and forego the engagement ring altogether.  Ask her what she wants.  Since she has to wear it for the rest of her life, the engagement ring should be something that she loves (which may or may not include a diamond).  Just make sure it fits within your budget (you can always check on eBay or Craigslist for deals).

5. profile image0
    Jeanastraposted 7 years ago

The simple answer to this question is - the ring SHOULD be whatever the wearer wants.  I have friends who have sapphires, pearls or even no engagement ring at all (just a wedding band).  As a former jeweler, my only advice is to get the best quality ring within your budget.

6. Saloca profile image82
    Salocaposted 6 years ago

I don't think it should be a diamond, unless that is the favorite stone of the intended wearer. I think an engagement ring should be something personal to them, so if, for example, they love pearl, then it shoud be that.
    Don't go for a ring just because it is socially 'expected', choose a ring that is as individual as it's wearer!

7. Weldon Jewellers profile image59
    Weldon Jewellersposted 6 years ago

the most important thing is that the lady loves the ring. it's a symbol of so many things, of love, of hope, of unity and acceptance, what the ring is made of is less important that what the couple feel it represents.

8. profile image50
    jackdohsonposted 5 years ago

I would like to recommend you to the Quantum International Diamonds in the UK for choosing the stylish diamond engagement ring.

working