jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

The Commerce Clause and the Health Care Bill

1. KFlippin profile image62
    KFlippinposted 7 years ago

Was the corruption of the Commerce Clause a primary covert intent of the health care bill? 

Judge Gives Virginia OK to Press On With Health Care Lawsuit Against Feds

"U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson is allowing a health care suit filed by the state of Virginia against the U.S. government to proceed, saying no court has ever ruled on whether it's constitutional to require Americans to purchase a product."

Challenge to Health Care Law Advances

"Virginia federal judge Henry Hudson on Monday ruled that he'll let the state of Virginia's challenge to the landmark health care law passed in March go forward, at least for the time being."

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree with the judgment. Forcing people to BUY anything is not what the commerce law is about!  If the Government wants to use this, they should use it on the Insurance and Medical Industry!

KFlippinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Virginia's AG very clearly says that if this use of the Commerce Clause is allowed to stand, hereafter the fed can tax us for anything it desires, they/it will have the power to control like never seen before.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
          Michael Willisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I do see your point. But isn't that where we are headed? I know in my state we are taxed for everything and they keep adding more taxes every year. I have only remained here because of family, but...have had serious thoughts of moving and just telling family to call me.  I would miss the close connections, but as I am getting older I have to think of maybe surviving retirement one day.

KFlippinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Actually what Cuccinelli and other legal eagles have said is that IF the health care bill is allowed to stand, IF the Supreme Court deems the right to require health insurance supportable under the Commerce Clause, as Obama wants, then it literally opens the door for the fed to tax anything, anything, it chooses to tax in the course of human living and breathing in America, the mere act of being in 'repose' was part of the disagreeing language of the judge's welcome decision.  Being 'in repose' is not an act of 'doing', an act of commerce.

Already those retired today are faced with hugely greater monthly costs than they ever anticipated, and struggle already, and think as you about how to survive with what should have been enough, and corrupting the intent, the 'subject' and 'purpose' of the commerce clause will allow the fed to do most anything it wishes to tax away what you have.

working