Is racism still an ongoing problem/Does it still exist

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. ladyt11 profile image59
    ladyt11posted 13 years ago

Your comments, experiences and opinions are welcomed. Please be mature in your answers.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so.  But spreading in completely different and new, also aggressive directions.  But then again, that's just a personal pole of the people I know from different races, and it's consistent which is why I draw certain conclusions.

I have been discussing this a great deal for one of my 'almost done soon' hubs.

As I told my cousin, who is black, as are two more.and the hub title;

I'm tired of feeling guilty for being white.

Well him and the boyz never laughed so hard, and concluded by calling me a cracker.

I had to laugh to, but they clarified so much to be about black versus white views, and that helped so much. But I still expressed my views cause I never did anything wrong, those that have, is between them and their god.

out.

2. Dorkies profile image57
      Dorkiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, racism still exist and I feel that its still an ongoing problem. I just wish people would look pass it (i know it not going to happen) or at least have an open mind. There are too much going on in the world to be focused or disgruntled about a person's skin colour.

Would racism ever go away? I would like to hope so, but very much doubt it. There are people that I call "extreme racists" that breed their thinking into their children and whatnot; just to keep the cycle of hate going.

To me, there is no reason for the hate. I find it pure ridiculous to hate someone soley because he or she is shade of colour that you don't like. I think people should embrace their skin colour, their culture, and learn something from someone of a different race culture. There's no harm in that.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!

A little effort to search and you would have found that your OP has been answered quite a few times. smile

Example: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/42428#post981664

ladyt11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"A little effort to search..........?" seems a little rude but, thanks for commenting ;-)!

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HubPages frowns on multiple thread regarding SAME subject or topic. Wasn't being rude. wink

@Cagsil Ok, thanks for letting me know. Didn't know or recall seeing anything about same subject or topic. I'm new to this, thanks again Cagsil!

No problem. wink smile

3. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

True, but I haven't seen the topic discussed recently (e.g., since we all beat the whole Shirley Sherrod/NAACP speech) topic to death a couple of weeks back!
    Maybe there has been some progress made or others who didn't participate then would like to talk about racism now.

Personally, I believe it still exists and will always exist. The targeted race may change with the times or vary with the geographical location. However, there will always be animosity from one race against another. Sad, but true.

Hey Mighty Mom, I would disagree that it will always exist. But, it most certainly exists today and will for a while longer forward.

The simple fact that it continues to be part of the breeding of families is one reason it remains and will continue, until a more conscious effort is made to get rid of it. smile

4. realtalker profile image40
    realtalkerposted 13 years ago

It's sad, but yes racism does exist. Although there has been lots progress since the "civil" days, racism is still a problem in America, however its not as prominent in today's society of course. Thank goodness!

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Mostly in the eyes of the beholders...

6. ecoggins profile image90
    ecogginsposted 13 years ago

Yeah...it is sad. Racism does exist in this country and around the world. Mostly because people are afraid of the unknown. They get scared when they see others of different color or ethnic background come into their area and compete for their jobs or men or women. Then they get jealous and say nasty things and make up lies to spread around. The little white lies grow into legend and soon whole blocks of one type of ethnic group think erroneous things about other whole ethnic groups.

Interesting that you say that.
      This seems to be a self-esteem issue and a lack of self-confidence, blames on race.
      Ego problem more than anything else, along with insecurity issues. hmm

Cagsil I agree. There is no reason to not like or compete with someone because of their race.

2. ladyt11 profile image59

@Ecoggins. Unfortunately some people do think the way you have suggested and its sad because their is no valid reason to compete because of your ethnicity. I can understand competing for a Job as far as who has the best credentials, training, etc. Jealousy unfortunately does play a big part. It seems as though we sometimes create discord for no reason, a rebel without a cause. Then again people would still complain if we were all the same race, LOL! sad but true. Thanks for your comment.

7. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

Here is my personal experience not too long ago:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Blatant-Racism- … arking-Lot

That was completely ridiculous! She already had some issues and I guess you were the one she decided to take it out on. That was so unnecessary.

1. elayne001 profile image77
        elayne001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - it was pretty scarey. Lucky I got away before she could chase me - who knows what might have happened then?

8. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Yes there is racism.  And it's not just the generic "white people hate group X or group Y" variety.  It's a continuous morphing thing, as it has always been, that has far, far more to do with wealth, power and resources than it has to do with what anyone looks like or where they go to church... although those surface things can influence one's approach to appearance and/or wealth.

I also think that anecdotes of racism are horrific, but no more so than is the impact of using racism as an excuse for poor behavior. 

You might find the hub I wrote not too far back interesting if you're really into what your fellow hubbers have to say.  Some of the comments on this hub are excellent too:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Racism-in-Ameri … ding-Truth

Also, Mysterlady 89 recently put up a great hub about the impact of racism in schools and on literature (that too has some excellent feedback):  http://hubpages.com/hub/censorshipintheclassroom

@shadesbreath I was appalled to find out by I believe Nell Rose who commented on censorship in the classroom that in europe they either added or are talking about adding "asian toilets" built into the ground because it would be good for "race relations" . What in the world.......?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They're also better for your health, for the record.  Squatting, as opposed to sitting, is a better posture for bowel movements, as far as constipation and risks of strain/incomplete evacuation which cause all kinds of problems in and of themselves.

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that answer is full of S@#%@

smile

9. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

There will always be racism as long as we have divisions according to socio-economic classes by race and pre-conceived notions which are derived from history and familial, societal values -- to act on our prejudice by race is a different thing.

exactly.. and may I add that until we all collectively acknowledge the natural superiority of the Greek people, the social, economic and political hierarchy of the world will never be appropriately structured

smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, will you imposed it upon us, Well I have no doubt Greeks are the handsomest, hehe not in naked stones and art only, The Greek Gods have wavy hair and stoned P--  hehehe

impose it on you? nope.. a court order says i'm not even allowed to 'rub it up against someone'  sad

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are too funny Greek One, heh, I will eat now@

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)