jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Defend Google

1. Evan G Rogers profile image78
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

Hey all,

Just want to make sure that we're all aware that google is under attack for being a monopoly.

Yeah, that's right. The governments (especially France) think that we're too stupid to type "yahoo.com" into our URLs.

Here's a hub I wrote to try to bring people to the side of google, but I'd love to hear everyone's arguments for or against.

Warning - my hub is VERY critical of people who think that google IS a monopoly.
    <link snipped - no Hub promotion in the forums, please>

1. rachellrobinson profile image82
      rachellrobinsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had to laugh when I read that because to be honest I use Yahoo search probably ten times more then Google.

2. rebekahELLE profile image87
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm surprised, from reading your comments elsewhere, that you would not question google's 'monopoly' worldwide.

2. jondav profile image62
    jondavposted 6 years ago

Everyone should love Google - those who don't are just jealous that they didn't think of it first.

3. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Successful entities always have a certain segment of society trying to tear them down. Must be something in our genetic code. smile

Google has the statement “Do no evil” in their charter. How many other corporations have that? smile

As for my opinion of France… smile

Google will survive this latest attack just fine.

4. Pcunix profile image88
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I think that sooner or later Google will need to be broken up. They have far too many tentacles into our lives.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image78
      Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But what if those tentacles do nothing but good?

And what of public education -- now THERE are some tentacles in our lives!!!

Going even further - our government has quite a few tentacles in our lives:  I can't do ANYTHING without encountering government! Should we tear it apart?

1. Pcunix profile image88
        Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We ARE the Government.

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol  who is we?

2. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

More than Micro Soft?

5. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 6 years ago

Google has gotten waaay too big for their britches and need to be humbled a bit.
    "Don't Be Evil" is a joke.

I don't think we need government intervention though.
    They will take themselves down.
    Or another company will do things better than them (like maybe actually have customer service and listen to the people that use them) and take them down.

Remember when AOL was all powerful?
    Do you know anyone now on AOL?

6. rachellrobinson profile image82
    rachellrobinsonposted 6 years ago

Just out of curiousity, who does Google support financially in elections? I was under the impression that it was the Left. And since France is currently under a Right govt. could that have anything to do with them wanting to go after Google? or Could I be way off base?

7. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 6 years ago

I use google chrome as a browser. One of the quirks is that to use google to search, rather than go to the google home page enter the search term in the browser address bar and hey presto, a google search happens with a drop down menu with suggestions as you type.
    It might not be new, just for me, but one of the suggestion was search Yahoo for ---- and Search Ask Jeeves for ----.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I google "search engines"

working