I'm Mad as Hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore......BE CIVIL

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

So , we've reached a point in America ,where  we're angry ! Oh well, we're  American's We're always Angry ! No , that's not what I'm talking about.  Americans  are angry on the inside to! Understandably angry , we did all the right things ! We voted  each time in November . We made time out of our busy schedules to go to town meeetings, Each and every property owner  paid their taxes on time ! We make excuses every day for our party politics and drive another spike into the other guys beliefs. We've come to the levels of even apologizing for being Americans to the entire world. Liberals have a major meltdown when we talk about maintaining our heritage. Conservatives blow a gasket when anyone steps on the green grass of home.  And yet , we're still angry ! What we are NOT , is CIVIL , Civility is a dying characteristic of our society , Yes ,I know  you say ,Discourse . Thats what created this country !  but , No! it isn't, CIVILITY is what created this country. Letting everyone speak their minds , whether you agree or not .
    Letting the differences in ideas , in philosophy , in religious differences sit  next to you. While at the same time You listened and decided for yourelf ! Where it matters most. In the voting booth! Believe it or not in America , there was a time when politics weren't a fashion statement , something you would where on your sleeve. Politics were almost always something kept to yourself.  CIVILITY , however was what was shown in public and in private. We are in flux in America , it seems we have reached a point where , there will be "change", and costs , like it or not Conservatives! AND, there will be accountability and civility whether liberals like it or not. The next step beyond the point where civility is lost?  Chaos! And beyond chaos is civil war. So my point!   BE CIVIL.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um....no, civility didn't "create" this Country.
      The blood, sweat, and tears of many patriots created this Nation.
      People who wanted liberty and were willing to fight for it.
      Not the "liberty" that liberals holler for these days, the freedom to spout ignorance and immorality from the rooftops, but the liberty that comes from fighting tyranny.

The liberal agenda has no gratefulness for even their very lives being protected.  It seeks to protect their "right" to re-write our moral laws and our literal laws, while soldiers on and off the battlefield give up their lives symbolically and literally.
      That doesn't warrant "civility";  it warrants a strong defense, and an offense if necessary.

If libs are "mad as hell" too, then they should take some anger management courses, 'cause THEY have no legitimate reason to even be mad.   "Accountability" for the libs?   That's laughable!Not one single person has been able to (or had the guts to) properly hold the liberals in our government accountable for any of their actions.    Putting conservatives in the same category as liberals doesn't work, because by very definition they're polar opposites.

There's much more at stake here than just someone's feelings being hurt, some fool whining about how people don't understand them, poor thing.
      The very foundation of American society is at stake here.
      People need to wise up and realize that everything isn't about THEM personally;  it's about concepts that cut to the very core of humanity and will effect generations to come if the world stands that long.

That being said, ahorseback, you've made some good points in your assessment.  It's true that America is being "apologized for" wrongly, and that concept has been perpetuated upon us from the very "top" (the White House) while our "leader" turns around at the drop of a hat and incites civil unrest toward American citizens.
      But calling for civility in these polarizing matters is like entertaining the notion that there can be honest "discourse" with Satan himself.   It doesn't work.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda , you are wrong in that civility isn't a huge part of the solution  we seek,  the hysteria on both sides , has become nothing but partison rhetoric,  and civility has been one of the ingrediants of democracy , and from the beginning too! Hell , you can run a sword through someone with civility, but to suggest that we aren't a bunch of crying babies today!  Everyone crying louder than the next guy to be heard.?  I would honestly rather have a good civil war than exist in a world of spoiled and  honor challenged  over indulged " me first" Americans...

2. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about that one like 8 months ago. We are having an Ideological war here in the USA now. And both sides have their heels dug in deeply. It I am afraid is only going to get worse. Hardcore conservatism and hardcore liberalism. The libs are now cannabalizing one of their own, our President. Because he had the audacity to try to move towards the center. We definitely could use more civility though.

1. profile image0

Thats my only real point here ,Tony...

2. TamCor profile image80
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

I agree 100%--and have been spouting off about it for months, lol...

You put it much better than I could have, though...thanks.

smile

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I must add first good morning and I think Canada sucks for so many same reasons

Is it general cause I can't seem to swallow there being more hard than soft, just looking for a sign I suppose.

Have a good one!

big_smile

4. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Civility in America is dead. It's all about screaming louder than the next guy, rudeness, overwhelming people with loud rhetoric, lots of hot air everywhere.

Civility has been replaced by stupidity.

1. profile image0

There you go !  Stupidity instead of civilty.

5. profile image58
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Political correctness has stiffled self expression to the point of explosion. Changing the drumbeat of the country now will be very difficult. I'm not saying that we are headed for all out civil war. However I do believe that widespread unrest is headed our way. Think, riots.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this
    2. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

CJ you are right on the mark.

6. profile image58
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Here is a good example:

http://www.wcyb.com/news/26062022/detail.html

Here the ACLU is not defending liberty, but actually threatening school districts. Who are they? The party police?

7. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm American and I'm not angry and I'm quite civil. Politics is not what guides our lives. We have come to believe (because of insane media) that politics defines who we are and whether we're successful or going down the tubes. It's nothing but a lie. If politics define you, you've become a robot.

1. adrienne2 profile image63
      adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right on RebekahELLE!!   I'm not an angry American either. I think people need to only listen to the media with a grain of salt.  I feel the media only give information they want citizens to know.  The media never delivers the whole story.  And as for politics it leaves much to be desired on that subject.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a sensible, civil perspective. Thank you, Rebekah!

8. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Maybe in the forum only, news, media etc. The people I talked to everywhere they say what is on their mind but they are still respectful of others opinion and they don't talk about politics so much.

9. Hugh Williamson profile image74
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

Civility. What are the rules?

Does civility mean you act "civilly" only toward those who agree with you, or does it mean that you act civilly toward everyone?

When you're positive you're right & they're wrong, should you still try to debate "civilly?"

1. rotl profile image61
      rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes and yes.

2. profile image0

Yes.....!

3. profile image0

Hugh ....Civility is just that , civility ! To all sides , agree or not , but be civil....

10. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

your quote brings Thoreau's Civil Disobedience to mind. written in 1849, it's still relevant today.

Those who, while they disapprove of the character and measures of a government, yield to it their allegiance and support are undoubtedly its most conscientious supporters, and so frequently the most serious obstacles to reform.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image74
      Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rebekah -

I'm not saying complacency in the face of injustice is a good thing.
      It's hard to argue with Thoreau's statement and we have the opportunity to put his opinion to work each election day.

MLK was "civil" even when practicing civil disobedience. Civil isn't as strong a word as "courteous." It just means refraining from degrading and insulting others -- we can still interact and debate.

Politics and Religion can be debated civilly, even in the forums where anonymity may tempt us to release some kind of pent-up anger on someone who is "stupid, just wrong, ignorant..." (These are all words that show up now and then in this venue).

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this....  smile

1. profile image0

EXACTLY !   MLK , in spite even of his personal faults , was civil!

2. rebekahELLE profile image87
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and I completely agree with you.
        civility doesn't mean complacency.
        Thoreau was very civil when he was helping slaves escape through the woods.
        I think often people's allegiance to a political ideology blinds them from what is essential and necessary.

1. profile image58
          C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I need to dig that old copy of his essay up. I haven't read it in years.

11. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I feel greed is the root of the worlds problem.    IF we wer all considerate about others and just flat out be a caring village the US and world would be a better place.

Everyone is so caught up in themselves and do little if anything for their neighbors.

1. profile image0

You got it Katie!!!

12. profile image0

I have to wonder why our media  and our government want hysteria  in our lives. And we all know they are connected . I believe America has gone corporate , always was , but! Now our whitehouse , congress , senate , all of it "Corporate" , I think its the old divide and conquer trick . Keep us divided , ,as a people ! And they control the whole  hysteria driven machine ! How rich was your congressman before he took office? .....After?   Who are the ones behind your presidental candidate......you don't even know , but you got your partison rhetoric down pat! We orgot how to think for ourselves in America ! P C.....rules.

13. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Sometimes I feel like I must be living in my own country, to hear every one else. I do what I want, when I want it. I have no bills, nobody bothers me.

In fact I'm quite happy, as opposed to everyone else, and I am that way no matter who is in office. I think for myself.

If this country does go so far as to make my life bad, I will simply move somewhere else, simple. Change always takes place, in all things, in every place. smile

14. profile image0

Thats interesting , but isn't that what got us here in the first place? Apathy and complacency.....I'll just let everyone else fight for the blissfull freedoms I enjoy? I can always run to Canada or Switzerland. Now they know all about peace, and they also know all about letting someone else do the right thing..... being vigilant!

1. profile image0

Sorry that was a bad rap on Canada. Canada has done alot .

2. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well being a couch fighter does not do much either. So you think this country has big problems? Fine, what have you done about it, besides mouthing off here?

I'm living a good life, I have no need to act on anything. Sure this country has lots of problems, they all do. But it's the best I can see so far.

I'm fine with it, and don't feel any need to do a damn thing. If you hate this place so much maybe your the one who should be checking out the ski slopes in Switzerland.

Ok maybe that was a bit too much. I'm just saying not everyone is running around saying we are all doomed. Some of us have a life to live. hmm

1. profile image0

Only problem with that is sooner or later you run out of places to run  to. Switserland ? No thanks , I'll stay in a nation worthy of civility.  And even one with unrest in civility.  A true patriot doen't bury his head in the sand. Oh sorry ,maybe that was a bit much!

1. Bill Manning profile image69

Actually I love the sandy beaches here in Florida!  big_smile

It's all cool, I know your just trying to draw attention to what you believe is wrong. Better than doing nothing, right? For the most part I agree with you, I just don't let it bother me as much as some do, that's all. smile

15. profile image0

My whole point about civility is this.  We can disagree without being uncivil. Even to the point of violence and war . But when we reduce our arguments to name calling and self induced ignorance of manors , we lose . Because at that point , what is worth defending anyway? If we teach our children manors in arguing and discourse , then we already win!

1. Bill Manning profile image69

Yup, I agree with that, good call. smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Loss of civility comes from a loss of respect. We no longer respect difference.  I think in part that comes from what CJ said about Political Correctness stifling people.  For twenty or thirty years, massive groups of people have been told they couldn't speak their feelings aloud. Not only did that build pressure to explosive levels, it completely stopped the dialogue.  So now we have angry people AND no momentum for cooperative effort.

Add to that an increasingly isolated society of people who never interact with other humans in meaningful ways. The grocer, the banker and mailman whose names we used to know, we don't.  They have "quick"-check out lines at the grocery where you ring up your own stuff now.  There are ATMs everywhere, and mailboxes are stacked in clusters on the corners of suburban blocks far away from our front doors. We never talk to grocers and bankers and mailmen any more.  The number of strangers in our world grows with every new machine.

Large percentages of our "friends" are online people we never see, never eat with, never touch or hug.  We drive to work alone in our cars, snarling at that a$$hole in the other car for how he drives even though if that person were our mom or our best friend we would have waved them in front of us with a smile. We don't talk to the people around us anymore; we have our ear buds in or we are texting to people we already know rather than interacting with the real humans around us, the "strangers," as we stand in line or sit in the subway or the bus.  We have lost our civility because we live in a society where we don't practice it anymore.  We have turned inward and live too much inside ourselves instead of living looking outward as people situated in a physical world with other physical bodies. 

If you think there is no civility, look in the mirror and you'll see why.

1. h.a.borcich profile image59
        h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would love to see a hub from you on this Shades. Seriously. And I agree with you whole heartedly. Holly

2. profile image0

Ok , Ill bite , I just looked in the mirror and puff , I see a civil guy . Now why is that? .......While I agree with your post ,  The only problem with not having normal interactions with others is just what  I'm saying . We are dumbing ourselves down in civil  means of communicating.  We can all type 100 words a minite,  we have 3 computors in the average house , we can all drive through a red light  and flip the bird to the guy stopping . And all at the same time!  But we can't listen to others without blowing a gasket.

1. profile image58
          C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First you can only really controll your own actions in discourse. When dicussions become heated, there has to be a way to release pressure and cool off. The higher the stakes, the harder this is to accomplish.
          In relationships no issue makes for a better argument than MONEY. Right now the nation is coming to the realization that we are broke, near broke or at the very least in serious financial trouble. What's worse is that to some the prospects for the future don't look all that promising. This puts people in a very disgruntled mood. When two people have this problem it's hard to walk away and calm down. When a NATION is having this problem it's nearly impossible and will often lead to civil unrest.

Wether we are willing to admit it or not, society at large measures  winners and loosers/right and wrong. Arguing, while  seemingly ugly in it's most extreme form, is actually a non violent way of warning off the other guy. The idea is that you wear them out emotionaly if you can't covince them rationaly. It's a double edged sword though. Turning up the heat too fast will likely cause an immediate and intense explosion. Turning up the heat to slowly will only harden the resolve. Our temperments must be anealed. This is done by cooling off slowly. Don't discuss the issue until you are fully able. Set clear goals for the discussion. Make sure there is a point and an ends thats worth achieving.

16. profile image0

CJ. Good points , funny though isn't it ? For years I have said that people won't get angry enough to change our country  for the better , until we get hungry , I guess I was Wrong! They won't get angry until you take their credit cards away.....Perhaps we can call the next revolution ...credolution!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)