AP article of today on Iraqi-Saddam nuclear yellowcake

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 15 years ago

Did you catch the article? One more piece to the puzzle revealed.
    Go to AP homepage and type a Query "Iraq yellowcake" to access article...it is not on any homepage for news except Fox (not even APs homepage !?)

hummmmmmmmm

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fox is still drumming the old beat that Saddam had Weapons of Mass Destruction and will be even if they have to falsify evidence and end up getting shutdown by the govt.  They are an extremist news organization in my opinion.  Not extremist in the sense of "most people do not listen to them", extremist in the sense that their messages and propaganda often run counter to known facts, they seek to undermine anyone and anything and any fact that stands in the way of neo-conservative ideological global hegemony.  They would keep pushing the idea that Saddam had weapons of Mass Destruction if Jesus Christ himself came down and told us all that he did not (supposing christ existed), they are mindless zombies .

They are basically Bush's Butthole (IMO).

SparklingJewelposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The article came from the Associated Press (AP), not Fox news...they just reprinted it. Fox is no worse than any other news media, just different. I don't see how people can be so blind to that. They preach to their crowd as other news organizations preaches to theirs. It's funny how we all hear things differently big_smile

i am waiting for a news media that is unbiased and factual...the Jim Lehear news hour on PBS is the closest I have heard yet...as if anyone can really know the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

1. profile image0
          Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Psychiologically it is impossible for any news source to be unbiased without ending up looking like test results from a test report.  This is basic human psychology.

Secondly, while CNN can be bad, Fox News is far more interested in the partisan efforts of the New Republicans, and as such will say *almost* anything that promotes that angle. 

On a Propaganda scale of 1-10 I would say that CNN sits comfortably at 7 and Fox News hits a full ten (imo).  Take that as you will, but that is my opinion and it is based on experience with Fox News and CNN and radio pundits and drudge and everything you could possibly imagine.  Most of it is garbage.

The best place for news is either A.  A Newspaper or B. Yahoo AP News or C.  Youtube segments of Main Stream Media that I can actually stop and rewind and check the sources out on.  or D.  All of the Above.   I dissect those those things and with all that + my brain it's a slam dunk.

Also if you reread that yellowcake article and try to mentally take blinders off I think you might find that one sentence that reads thus:

"There was no evidence of any yellowcake dating from after 1991, the official said."

Which means the first Bush dealt with that problem.

Geeze SJ hmm

exactly...the yellowcake that they just moved was from 1991 or earlier...it was there all this time...and it was/is still volatile, right? that's why it was kept silent, but of concern,...and now has been sold to Canada to be used for safe nuclear energy use.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lolo

Kept silent ? lolo

Both Iran and Israel bombed this facilityin the 1980s because there was yellowcake there and Hussein was trying to build a nuclear power plant.

You seem to be forgetting Hussein was our friend and your country funded him for a long time lolo

Volatile lolol

I suppose if you breath enough of it in it could be dangerous

Just ask any ceramist that uses yellow glazes.

It is dirt with uranium in. Just what threat do you see here ? lolo Some Iranian "Terrorist," sneaking through the gates with 500 tons of uranium dirt in his pocket lolo

It is not truly dangerous until it has been refined. And it is only volatile in certain cases - like when it is stuffed in a metal casing and exploded in a controlled fashion - you know, the way your country exploded some in Japan - twice.

Still wanting to know how this fits into your "puzzle," lolo

And just exactly how many other pieces are in this puzzle lolo

"Safe" nuclear energy lolo

Here is a news article from cbc news about how radioactive the Canadian town that processes the ore has become:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/ … anium.html

Perhaps this will fill in the last of your puzzle.

What puzzle by the way?

It's not "my puzzle" I just look for potential pieces...unlike you, I don't know everything! smile

Well, you added this as I was writing. So - I have a question for you -

Why did Iraq invade Kuwait?

Didn't you listen to the video I posted recently about the baptist minister and the big oily heads?smile listen and you will find "an" answer. Then you tell me,  Is it the same answer you have?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Jim Lehear news hour is right wing. The Yellow Cake is from the nuke plant the Israelis  bombed pre '91. Shipped to Canada
    for processing. Nothing to do with anything after the first gulf war.

Yeah, but there are some people who are prepared to believe that Jim is unbiased and this is proof that Hussein was building WMDs lol

Despite the fact that this is extremely old "news" and any one with a brain knows it would have taken 15 years and 10000% more resources than he had to turn this into a weapon.

PROOF!

Fox news at its finest. smile lolo

Gotta love the midwest big_smile

You guys...this is from the Associated Press, July 6th 2008...not Fox news smile

You are saying that as though the typical mid-westerner gets his news from AP and not Fox. And that AP is not in the business of twisting the news to put a spin on it.

This is Associated Press News lead paragraph on the story:

The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein's nuclear program — a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium — reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.

The removal of 550 metric tons of "yellowcake" - the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment - was a significant step toward closing the books on Saddam's nuclear legacy. It also brought relief to U.S. and Iraqi authorities who had worried the cache would reach insurgents or smugglers crossing to Iran to aid its nuclear ambitions.

And you yourself said it was "one more piece of the puzzle,."

What puzzle? That Iraq purchased 500 tons of practically useless uranium ore from Niger and was storing at a proposed nuclear reactor site which was bombed for that reason by the Israelis back in 1991? Seventeen Years Ago

Do you have any idea what is necessary to turn this into a bomb of some kind? If that would be possible. It requires enormous amounts of refining just to turn it into fuel reactors.

To read that headline, you would think this was a major step of some sort, instead of the disposal of useless and unusable uranium that is potentially hazardous.

So, what is the puzzle?

2. SparklingJewel profile image66

could you give me your sources of each of these points that are verifiable according to standards  beyond reproach smile After all it did come from the ASSOCIATED PRESS not Fox news.

I find it very hard to beleive Leher is right wing...the PBS (public broadcasting station) here in the twin cities would have nothing to do with right wing stuff from everything I have heard the last 15 years I have lived here...again...your sources please smile

3. knolyourself profile image60

'Archer Daniels Midland Co. today has agreed to plead guilty and pay a $100 million criminal fine--the largest criminal antitrust fine ever.' Former long time sponsors of Leher. Some other criminal stuff as well but can't remember. Leher helped get Bush II elected by asking the easiest questions of him, in a debate ever. Leher says he never votes because it would interfer with his objectivity. On the other hand Robert MacNeil did a great mini series called 'The Story of English' 1986.

4. knolyourself profile image60

'In October 2006, a study by the left-oriented media analysis group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) accused The NewsHour of lacking balance, diversity, and viewpoints of the general public, in favor of Republican and corporate viewpoints. FAIR studied NewsHour's guest list for the 6 months October 2005 to March 2006. Republicans outnumbered Democrats 2:1 (66% to 33%). People of color made up only 15% of US sources. Alberto Gonzales accounted for 30% of Latino sources, while Condoleezza Rice accounted for 13% of African-American sources. Hurricane Katrina victims were 46% of all African-American sources. On Iraq, "stay the course" sources outnumbered pro-withdrawal sources 5:1 (this ratio continued even after polls favored a withdrawal from Iraq). Not a single peace activist appeared. Public interest groups were 4% of sources. Current and former government and military officials were 50% of sources.' This is a study of the Jim Lehrer Newshour. But it doesn't take a study to notice the same.

5. knolyourself profile image60

Puzzlin' Evidence - Talking Heads 1986.

6. SparklingJewel profile image66

“Hear about the 550 metric tons of yellowcake uranium found in Iraq? No? Why should you? It doesn’t fit the media’s neat story line that Saddam Hussein’s Iraq posed no nuclear threat when we invaded in 2003. It’s a little known fact that, after invading Iraq in 2003, the U.S. found massive amounts of uranium yellowcake, the stuff that can be refined into nuclear weapons or nuclear fuel, at a facility in Tuwaitha outside of Baghdad. In recent weeks, the U.S. secretly has helped the Iraqi government ship it all to Canada, where it was bought by a Canadian company for further processing into nuclear fuel—thus keeping it from potential use by terrorists or unsavory regimes in the region. This has been virtually ignored by the mainstream media. Yet, as the AP reported, this marks a ‘significant step toward closing the books on Saddam’s nuclear legacy.’ Seems to us this should be big news. After all, much of the early opposition to the war in Iraq involved claims that President Bush ‘lied’ about weapons of mass destruction and that Saddam posed little if any nuclear threat to the U.S. This more or less proves Saddam in 2003 had a program on hold for building WMD and that he planned to boot it up again soon...Saddam acquired most of his uranium before 1991, but still had it in 2003, when invading U.S. troops found the stuff... That means Saddam held onto it for more than a decade. Why? He hoped to wait out U.N. sanctions on Iraq and start his WMD program anew. This would seem to vindicate Bush’s decision to invade.” —Investor’s Business Daily

7. knolyourself profile image60

'Investors Business Daily also carries editorials and columns on topics from "economics and government to politics and culture"[2]. Its editorials generally take a conservative to libertarian stance, and have been popular with conservative and libertarian bloggers. It carries columns from writers "On The Left and On The Right"[3], including L. Brent Bozell, Richard Cohen, E. J. Dionne, Victor Davis Hanson, Charles Krauthammer, and Thomas Sowell. Pulitzer-winning cartoonist Michael Ramirez has worked for IBD since late 2005. Investors Business Daily also publishes editorials skeptical about global warming and the proposed solutions to fight climate change. The newspaper is often criticized for being excessively devoted to large corporations.' From Wikipedia.

8. SparklingJewel profile image66

I like Charles Krauthammer...I call him "the Turtle".smile He looks like one don't you think...in a cute sort of way. But truly, I really like what he has to say. I just recently found out he is in a wheel chair.

9. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

lolo

Gotta love the midwest. smile

Just because you are ignorant of the fact that there was unprocessed uranium ore in Iraq in 1981 when Israel bombed the plant does not mean that everyone else is. Have you even done any research whatsoever as to how practical it would be to make a weapon from this?

And as for this "news" quote from the investors business daily - lolololo - No vested interest there lololo

Seriously - you need to educate yourself a little. I am well aware that this ore was in Iraq. As is the rest of the world.

Why is it a surprise to you and why on earth are you using it to justify the war on Iraq?

And what is the puzzle?

justify the war in iraq? My what conclusions people jump too...tells me a lot about where your bias is...part of the mass consciousness smile why does someone get so huffy about bits of information...watch the video- I believe in your ability to figure out how to access it.

As for the puzzle, it doesn't interest you in the least to find out who are those behind running the world, who are the pawns, and who is as uneducated as me!? smile  Are you satisfied to sit back and be sarcastic and cynical about what is happening in the world, thinking you are somehow not involved and not "run" like a machine by forces beyond your control.
      ooooh! Twilight zone smile

LOL

When some one starts a thread about yellowcake in Iraq which is "volatile" being "secretly" shipped to Canada for "safe" processing which adds another piece to the "puzzle" I draw certain conclusions. If you are actually saying some thing else, please enlighten me.

You could start by posting a link to this video you are talking about.

But if you prefer to communicate in this fashion - you go right ahead. I am sure it does not cause you any issues in your daily life.

Myself - I try to communicate as clearly as possible. big_smile

I know who runs the world:

Oil companies
        Corporations
        Churches
        Governments

In that order.

10. Mark Knowles profile image57

You didn't post a video that I could get to work.

Please answer the 2 questions I posed.

What is the puzzle that the yellowcake provided a piece for and why did Iraq invade Kuwait?

11. knolyourself profile image60

'What is the puzzle that the yellowcake provided a piece for and why did Iraq invade Kuwait?' I for one will be waiting to hear.

12. Mark Knowles profile image57

SJ -  As I think about your last comment as to me not thinking I have anything to do with the way the planet is being run and just sit around being sarcastic - I wonder if you have actually read any of my work?

Here are a few links:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Whats-hot-for-2008
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-gadgets-yo … hout-maybe
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Making-Moneys-Online
    http://markpknowles.com/stop-pissing-in … r-clooney/
    http://blog.luxuryproperty.com/caribbea … d-branson/

And I am still waiting to hear what the puzzle is and how the yellowcake fits smile

actually Mark, I have a hell of time determining where you are, because of underlying energies that I perceive. And that is all the clearer I can get on that wink

The puzzle is as I have stated, who runs the world...the yellowcake it just another piece of information. The video is posted but not as a link, in the "energy non- crisis" thread on politics.

and I know there are less educated people out there than I am, so I have something to say. Why do you respond to my posts, if you already have the information you are satisfied with and I am just "uneducated?" your mean teases and taunts don't do anything to help me along.

No, I haven't read much of your stuff, I am learning how to detach from the negative energy that comes through your words sometimes, and in the forums...  occasionally is enough big_smile  You are a "study in progress" for my spiritual path big_smile please don't ask me to explain that !

Well, if you have something to say - why don't you just come out and say it?

The puzzle as to who runs the world is not at all complicated, but saying things like you said at the start of this thread are guaranteed to lead to confusion.

God Bless our Troops! and God Bless America ! on other threads do not help either.

And I am still confused as to what you are saying about this piece of news you discovered.

What exactly are you trying to say?

That hundred of thousands of Americans have been duped into joining the military and are killing people for "freedom," when in fact they are killing them for the oil companies?

I agree.

God Bless them all !

I realize you can only see the negative aspects of interaction with me and it is obvious you have no idea what I do or where I am coming from. But rather than read anything I have written, you would prefer to do as you do. smile

Underlying energies. Negative thoughts. Hmmm All there - no question. Not worth reading what I write then.

Your loss. As requested I will not attempt to interact with you in future.

ciao

2. TheCapn profile image61
        TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone really runs the world. It'd be nice to make a bogey man up and say that he's controlling the IMF and World Bank and is behind some plot that simultaneously creates large oil profits and undermines our freedom but I don't think it's realistic. International politics is a nasty game, read The Prince or The Art of War, I think our current world stage is what any world stage would look like if all the players in it were motivated by self interest.

13. knolyourself profile image60

J Edgar Hoover, the guy that was in every movie star's bedroom, and had every Democrat and union organizer in the country investigated, the guy who when in Texas ordered his shauffer never to make a left hand turn, testified to at least one maybe more committees of congress: there was no such thing as the Mafia.

1. TheCapn profile image61
      TheCapnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of an old joke, "There's no such thing as the Mafia and we'll kill anyone who says there is."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)