jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Government Shut Down: A Threat To Social Security?

1. OLYHOOCH profile image60
    OLYHOOCHposted 6 years ago

What happens to those who only get social security? Lights off, gas off, phone off, no food? Some don't have any money saved. Do you care congress? I doubt it. Where were the Republicans for 8 years when they ran up the deficit?

TO READ THE REST OF THIS STORY, CLICK THE LINK BELOW,

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/24/134034871 … Shuts-Down

OLY

1. weholdthesetruths profile image60
      weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would teach people the folly of living on government handouts.

1. Jed Fisher profile image86
        Jed Fisherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's just mean. Some people live thier lives worried about things more important than money, some other people can't climb the latter very high  because they are not A-holes; others were on the fast track and one day took a little too much risk and lost. When all is said and done, there comes a time when people are just too old to play the game any more, and I'm very proud of the fact my governmet is there to take care of people when they need it most.

You're proud of the fact our government is wholesale irresponsible and has all but destroyed our economy and currency and is about to precipitate a global financial meltdown, due to it's inability to stop screwing with the economy, and wholesale redistribution of money?

You're proud of that?   Federal redistribution is not charity, is not wise, and not prudent.   It is gross, malignant stupidity.

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, 30 million Americans armed and hungry. The end of American intervention, the troops would be too busy keeping the peace on their own turf to try to run other countries.

2. Jed Fisher profile image86
            Jed Fisherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The Banksters are taking all the money for themselves. Really. I can see them doing it. We all can. It's obvious.

http://gerrycanavan.wordpress.com/2011/ … -fcked-up/

The lack of capital in circulation is what is stifling the economy.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image70
            Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If the government was bent on "redistribution" it sure has failed. Income and wealth disparity is highest in modern history and the US ranks down with Singapore and Hong Kong in income disparity between the rich and poor. The redistribution has been going from the poor to the rich, as I'm sure you well know. But you continue to bleat about alleged government redistribution.

2. weholdthesetruths profile image60

You think people realizing the government isn't capable of doing what politicians have promised is "mean"?   

No, the mean and stupid was when politicians made the promises THAT CANNOT BE KEPT and then were lead to live thier lives, expecting dependency will be secure.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image70
        Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I look forward to my SS check every month. And it's hardly a "government handout." I paid full SS taxes for 43 years and am still paying on my HubPages earnings and on earnings from other part-time work.

I assume,  on principle, you'll not apply for SS when you become eligible.

2. OLYHOOCH profile image60
    OLYHOOCHposted 6 years ago

Ya know, if this should take place, all of us on Social Security

will be in a bunch of, dogie-do-do. I am sure you get my point.

I, for one am holding my breath. WE THE PEOPLE, don't count anymore.

Our Government coud care less about us. My opinion of what should be done to save, The United States Of America, is,

Number 1. End The War, NOW. Bring our troops home. It is not our War, never has been, and never will be.

Number 2. In order to save Social Security, for the younger generation, RASE FICA a little. In raising FICA,this will insure Social Security for the younger generation in the future.

OLY

LOL...  You know, you really SHOULD educate yourself on this. 

"raising FICA" will not "save" social security. 

in 40 years, there will be 2 people paying, for each person drawing.   That's not raising FICA from 16 to 18, that's raising FICA from 16 to 45 percent of your wages.   

I wrote a hub on the matter.   We are broke.  The government has already spent 100% of everything we can earn in the next 40 years.    100% of EVERYONE'S paycheck has been promised to be redistributed, run up in debt, debt interest, over the next 40 years.    I'm not kidding.   

Last year, the federal government REDISTRIBUTED 2.3 TRILLION dollars.    And collected 2.13 trillion.   

That is, the federal government GAVE OUT MORE MONEY TO INDIVIDUALS THAN IT COLLECTED.    And then we had to pay for government, military, and all those other things, too.

3. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

You think we are in trouble now?
    World population will increase by about 2/3 in less than 2 generations.
    How do you think "man" will fare 50 yrs from now?
    There is no doubt that there will be a cataclysmic catastrophe that will reduce human population in the very near future.
    I think that we who are presently receiving SS benifits, which we paid for, will continue.
    But the SS system is at the point of death!
    QWark

working