jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Obama and Bush sittin' in a tree

1. Evan G Rogers profile image79
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

Hey all,

Recent talks of establishing a no-fly zone over Libya and other countries are on the table by the administration...

...but where is the outcry from our public? A no-fly zone is an act of war, and our executive branch is the one talking about establishing the zone...

Just like Bush, Obama is about ready to declare war on a foreign government without an act of Congress.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul726.html

1. superwags profile image78
      superwagsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

But this is a UN resolution tabled by Britain and France. Do you really need an act of congress to take votes on the UN security council.

Just sign the paper and let the European airforces get on with it. Stop putting the US at the centre of this.

It is not an act of war it is an act of humanity, same as Bosnia was; and it's my understanding that you didn't get an act of congress for that either.

We don't need the americans to get actively involved, but it would be nice to see a bit of support in the security council.

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

People from former Yugoslavia I happened to talk with, both when I visited Kosovo and in other countries, talked about this quite differently...

I've visited Bosnia and have seen what happened to Sarajevo and Mostar even without Serbian air-power. Regardless of what you think of the no-fly zone in that country in  terms of its political goals, it did prevent loss of life in the face of what effectively constituted ethnic cleansing.

The UN has a habit of standing by and doing nothing, whether at Scebrenica in that war, or Rwanda. I hope we aren't judged by history on Libya.

1. Misha profile image75

If this has been restricted to enforcing no fly zone, I don't think anybody would argue with that. Unfortunately it went way further than that...

That's exacty what this has been confined to; the French, Brits and Lebanon have tabled this and even suggested that it is policed by arab nations. Other things included in the draft centre around financial measures.

1. Misha profile image75

I was talking about your Yugoslavia example...

2. Evan G Rogers profile image79
        Evan G Rogersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How can people who aren't US citizens tell us how to spend our money?

I'm really at a loss for understanding your argument.

2. lovemychris profile image79
      lovemychrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think it's time we find out WHO is running our gvt.
      Obama was against this kind of action, as was Hilary and Gates.
      Who is pushing this?
      It is NOT in our best interest!

1. Castlepaloma profile image29
        Castlepalomaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

More oil is not in the US best interest?

Personally I think wars solve nothing

1. junko profile image64
          junkoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Japan overshadowed Libya and the revolt has been crushed. Libya's oil will soon be back on the oil market.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

Don't Obama and Bush realize that trees can be used to build isolated shacks for anarchists in Montana?  mad

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

And at least French are not going to restrict themselves to just enforcing no fly zone, they already proposed "targeted strikes"... http://www.al1jup.com/?p=869

exactly like in Yugoslavia...

1. Evan G Rogers profile image79
      Evan G Rogersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

indeed, we'll be called evil because we kill innocents.

working