Tucson SWAT Shot U.S. Marine Over 60 Times in Front of Family

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

This is a terrible incident on both sides.  I do not know what to say.  Do You?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkOXjOCkQfM

Edit: title of thread is title of video

1. e_l_Mason profile image59
      e_l_Masonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read anything about this in a few days but if my memory serves the man had machine guns.  One strategy in law enforcement is to have an advantage when trying to aprehend criminals so you take extra men extra guns etc.  So to fight a man with machine guns they took three men with machine guns.  The point of this strategy is to not come home with a dead co-worker.  It's not as if one man stood there and pulled a trigger 60 times.  That would be ridiculous.  It was three men, armed with automatic weapons who probably tapped the trigger once, each releasing a burst of bullets.  I'm all for constitutional freedoms concerning firearms but you have zero freedom when it comes to keeping a mass murder weapon in a civilized society.  I'm glad the guy is dead.  Another stockpile of machine guns off the street

Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was the wrong house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But as long as YOUUUUUUU are happy!!!!!!!!

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
          IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Still...  60times?  That is inexcusable.

1. profile image0
            Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems crazy sketchy...I don't support people having machine guns, but I also have known cops, and know how they are. The number of bullets doesn't lie. Very sketchy....I haven't researched this, but it doesn't sound good.

2. mikelong profile image61
      mikelongposted 12 years ago

While in the Marines, I trained with the Cochise County (an hour south of Tuscon in Arizona) SWAT team... 

The police had a two storey house that they use to practice making entry and room clearing. They also have a "Logan's Alley", where (with speed and intensity) officers quickly move down a "street" while large pictures of armed and unarmed people pop up from behind walls and windows... These teams are supposed to be ensuring that they can rapidly ascertain a true threat.... 

We, the Marines would assist the SWAT team by portraying either criminal suspects, innocent bystanders, hostages, or armed/unarmed occupants while the SWAT team (over and over again) worked on their tactics, speed, and execution. We would be placed inside the house according to a script written up by the department....

Yet....

In each case, when there were unarmed occupants of the house, these officers shot down unarmed people...they routinely shot first and said "oops" later.

I did not once see them train to stand off outside and not make entry for fear of "other assailants inside the house"...  Between misdirection, percussion/smoke grenades, and overwhelming man and firepower, these guys looked forward to going in...typically guns and grenades blazing...

When I watched this video I saw the same lamebrained "shoot shoot shoot" mentality... 

Those Tuscon boys probably train with Cochise County....and it is evident that both departments need to be held to task...

Semper Fi, my fallen comrade...  It's too bad our uniformed officers can't do a better job.... What a way to end the Memorial Day holiday..

By the way, an AR-15 is not a machine gun....and this man legally owned the weapon.

If someone came barging into my house I would grab my rifle, too.

3. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Working Man

On this fateful day of 5 May, 2011, Jose had worked the graveyard shift at Asarco Mission mine. When everything went mad, about 9:30 a.m., this sleeping father only had time to hide his family. Based on what his wife told him, he only knew at first that he had 'men with guns' in his house. Thank God his wife and little son survived.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/may2 … ine-tk.php

4. mikelong profile image61

I don't think the "Mason" poster has any clue about what he/she is saying....

No clue...

5. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The team kicked down a door to find a man crouching in the hallway with a rifle pointed at them.  I can see them firing in that situation.  Whether they should have been kicking down the door in the first place seems more of an open question.

It is a double sided coin.
        The man awoke to the sounds of some one scurrying at his front door, finally pounding it in as he held out his firearm to protect his family from intruders.

I could see him firing in that situation, but, he didn't. 

So the question is who gave the wrong orders to kick down an innocent man's door.  Who applied for the search warrant and with what probable cause?

1. profile image0
          Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would. Wouldn't you? I don't know who that is in my house...I am not asking who you are. You aren't supposed to be here. Unless they address themselves as cops, they are people trying to break in no matter what they are dressed as. Luckily, I don't have a gun I suppose. So right now...my cocker spaniel or my new puppy might have to protect the house...with their stuffed elephant chew toy maybe or their diligent sleep on the couch all day kung fu style.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Exactly.

7. mikelong profile image61

My home has been raided by police several times......beyond pounding on doors, they are required to identify themselves as police officers...even when outside before making entry...

Was this done?  Did they yell out "Police Officers!".....or did they just go in?

Whether through my military service or through the countless experiences I have had with LAPD/LA County Sheriffs (my brother is a former felon), I have seen police behaving badly too many times.... They can be arrogantly reckless...

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Saw the first reports. Generally, the military doesn't let you keep your gear. Bullet-proof vest? Automatic rifle? Sure, the hat could have been purchased anywhere in the area. Tragic. YES. I have never been in that situation, but have seen cops acting badly. Reserving judgement. Sweeping it under the rug doesn't qualify.

2. Reality Bytes profile image73

I have seen "no knock" search warrants but immediately upon opening the door the Police should have identified themselves.

Thankfully, it appears that the Veteran recognized the fact that they were Police hence the no shots fired back.

8. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years ago

Sad to see all those freedoms, that you only imagine that you have, deafened by gunfire yet again. 

Sad to see more evidence of the degeneration of a society in the process of sliding back, apparently somewhere between prohibition and McCarthyism.

Sad to see people so numbed and dumbed down by violence that some condone such illegal actions.

9. mikelong profile image61

Druid....

An AR-15 is not an automatic weapon, and it is legal. The military does not use them. They may look like M16A2 rifles, but they are not....

Anyone can buy a bullet-proof vest...at least in California, as long as they are not felons on parole.

My brother, for example, did auto repossession work....and he (along with nearly everyone else in the repo trade) wore a vest...  After the first gun gets pulled on you, protecting one's life becomes important...

Owning body armor is not a crime..nor does its possession or use make the owner/wearer a criminal...

Am I wrong, Druid?

On the no-knock warrant...I understand, I have had it happen at my residence while I was here....but they still have to identify themselves as police officers....and they always have (in my experiences)...very loudly...

As for what happened in Tuscon.....I don't know.. 

I think there are a bunch of guys who are looking to fire their weapons out there....and this is coupled with an "us" vs. "them" perspective that many officers, and I would argue the law enforcement culture itself, to place themselves in a status above those they are supposed to be protecting...

Of course, as seen with the illegal and unethical use of California Highway Patrol officers by former Governor Schwartzennegar, they become institutionally blinded to their own hypocrisy...

The Rodney King beating trial, the defendants moved their court and jury pools away from the San Fernando Valley...where the crime was committed, and where these officers work..to the Simi Valley, where the police community has created an enclave..

And the offices wre aquitted......and retaliatory riots ensued...

The word gerrymandering is continuously running through my mind... Politically, socially, and economically segmentation continues to be an active process. The media works fervently to twist our heads around and around while the unseen lines that determine our representation, and even worth, at least in dollar value are continuously being manipulated....to the benefit of very few...

And while Los Angeles rocked and burned for three days..(let us not forget the worldwide riots that the "not guilty" verdicts caused...it was not only an "LA" thing)...the message  was only superficially served....  The officers did receive stern punishments....

But, like the trigger that started the Watts Riots, Rodney King himself and those specific officers themselves were the tip of the iceberg....

The lessons have not been learned...

Another Marine was killed by police officers a year or so back...and it was caught on video..  He had been pulled over, and the officers were standing over him as he was pinned on the ground spread eagle...

And he was shot point blank while talking with the officers...explaining to them that he was a Marine who had just returned from a tour overseas... It is very hard to find a link these days...I'll have to check the archives for my citation..

To end this long post, I want to share this gem from Hollywood, Florida..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyvzWwvRBM

While she may have been drunk (for I don't know the outcome of that case), had the officer not made the wrong move, she would have not been caught (at least not at that point by that officer)..  To take advantage of her potential mistake, they (the whole group, no questions asked or doubts raised) works to compound the worman's detrimental situation...to "hang her out to dry" as the officer puts it....just "to protect their own"....

Loyalty over legal and ethical reality.......

10. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

I don't care how many machine guns he had.  60 bullets shot into 1 human body is excessive and a crime in itself.  This is my personal feelings.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)