jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)

President Sued by Congress

1. Evan G Rogers profile image78
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

Recently a lawsuit has been filed against Obama for not following the law!

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/capitol/r … stitution/

I'd like to give a shout out to Ron Paul for helping make it happen!

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol, you ahould be his campagin manager!     smile

Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago in reply to this

trying to get his name out there.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image80
      IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So they can waste more of our money.  Glad you are excited.  Do you honestly think this is for the betterment of our nation?  You are sadly mistaken.   This country is more than just the ratings for some wanna be presidents.

There is confusion in the law.  Are you also aware  that several top Rep leaders feel he is within the Law? 

What a freaking waste of our nation's time and cash.

I'm disgusted that "following the constitution" and "not bombing people randomly" are considered wastes of your money.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image80
          IntimatEvolutionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Seriously?  This coming from you?  Please.  I'll take it as a compliment then.

OK...

I guess.... Intimat... is Pro-murdering innocents... ... ?

3. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You gotta give Dennis Kucinich some credit here too ! For a liberal I sometimes am surprised how much I like Kucinich.

Right o, my bad.

2. lovemychris profile image80
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

You're forgetting Dennis Kucinich, who authored it.
    It's the same tune he's been singing since the Bush administration.

It's a dam shame the R's are trying to run him out of gvt with their re-districting machinations.

Maybe Ron Paul could mention that he'd like an end to these sleazy tacticts of his fellow Repubs.
    Someone needs to stop them.

The Dems do it to. Wake up.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image88
        Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes they do. Gerrymandering is a terrible, anti-people, pro-party practice, and it needs to stop.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image78

ew... I used the wrong "too"..

Sorry everyone. It should read: "The Dems do it, too. Wake up."

3. Stump Parrish profile image60
    Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago

Why doesn't Obama simply use a signing statement to place himself above the law like Bush did over 750 times? It would seem to be a way to put and end to this crap and it's a tactic the repubs couldn't argue with.

1. lovemychris profile image80
      lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

ahahaha!!

They would probably say, "We didn't like Bush either."

yeah riiiiight.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image78

What crap are you talking about? Sure, Bush was a sinister evil character, but you must admit that both he and Obama are crapping all over the Constitution.

This is an attempt to restore it.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image88
        Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

At least Kucinich is consistent. He tried it with W, and now he's doing it to Obama. How many of his co-sponsors were as angry with W as they are now, I wonder?

I haven't looked it up, but I'm sure Paul was on board both times.

4. tfboyle profile image60
    tfboyleposted 6 years ago

This law suit is supported by 10 congressmen from both parties (basically all of the principled people in congress - sadly that isn't many).

Lovemychris - The Republican's in Texas are trying to re-district Paul out of office too.  Both parties hate having party members that make them look bad by point out the hypocrisy.

IntimatEvolution - How is that a waste of money?  This looks like one of the few good uses of money by this government I have seen in a long time.  When a President abuses his power and acts like a king something needs to be done.  There is no confusion in the law, Obama tried to call the military action by a different name ('kinetic operations') in order to not have to adhere to the WPA.  Changing the name of something doesn't change the nature of the action, this regime (like the last one) finds a strain of similarity with the regime from the book 1984,  "war is peace, freedom is slavery,ignorance is strength".

Stump Parrish - Obama does use signing statements just as Bush did before him, read Glenn Greenwald's article over at Slate.com  "Obama v Obama on Signing Statements," or google search "Obama and signing statements.  But a signing statement here wouldn't change anything, so it is of no importance.

I think this all relates to my recent hub "The Hypocrisy of Partisanship" if anyone is interested in taking a look.

Word.

5. TMMason profile image63
    TMMasonposted 6 years ago

The War Powers Act is an unconstitutional law to begin with. Congress cannot surrender it's Constitutional authority through a law, it is done with a Constitutional Amendment only.

So both Branches are in violation of our founding document. But move along America... nothing to see here. It is absurd for Congress to cry about this, when the law itself is BS and illegal.

And yes, I do want us out of Libya, and I want our state dept to cease fomenting revolution around the world through the use of facebook and google.

Good point.

2. tfboyle profile image60
      tfboyleposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Right, but the fact that a President can't even follow the very forgiving WPA (despite its illegality to begin with) is pretty amazing.

Why would we stop fomenting revolution? I thought insighting revolution and creating cluster f**ks and blowback around the world was our nations favorite past time?

working