Has justice failed

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (28 posts)
  1. DNSiclari profile image61
    DNSiclariposted 12 years ago

With the amount of trials that have been on television, and with the uproar from some of these trials, I would like to see how many people believe that the justice system works or has failed. If you have examples please post them. I will keep this up for a while and then I will make a hub out of the results and examples.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago
  3. lovemychris profile image76
  4. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Works for the rich. Prob not so much for the poor.

5. lovemychris profile image76
    1. S Leretseh profile image61
      S Leretsehposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lovemy cris,
      This attempt to - again -  dump this garbage viewpoint of yours that [black male] garbage man Christopher McCowen had CONSENSUAL sex with a world renowned white female fashion designer ... is truly too pathetic . (his seaman was found inside of the dead white woman).  No one of a reasonable and sound mind should conclude anything else.

I should add that you should be ashamed of yourself - your effort to try to use a race card - but your debased ethical standards hv a subterranean  depth  that makes you nothing more than a complete  laughing stock.

And to answer the OP, yes the system is failing...
      http://www.metnews.com/articles/2011/cour071911.htm

Everywhere liberalism exists, ...nevermind

DNSiclariposted 12 years agoin reply to this

umm...ok I just posted a general form here. I understand that views differ here, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

6. lovemychris profile image76

"that [black male] garbage man Christopher McCowen had CONSENSUAL sex with a world renowned white female fashion designer"

That's the truth.And my kids knew about it. In fact, she had a lot of admirers....including members of the police department, allegedly.

So--you shouldn't speak of what you don't know.

And you should remember the admonition: Beyond a reasonable doubt, as the book says.

There was a boat-load of doubt here, but one thing against him: the color of his skin.

FAILED!!

I remember the documentary on this case very well. Christopher McCowen
      1. failed a lie detector
      2. initially denied he had sex with the woman
      3. confronted with the DNA he then admitted he had sex with her

And your defense cris : [Black male] garbage man Christopher McCowen was the last person to hv sex with the white female (who you are now implying was a roaring SLUT - again, your ethics descend dude!).  After the sex, the white female THANKED him for such a GREAT time. Right cris?  After all, what wealthy white woman doesn’t secretly covet sex with a black male - high school dropout - garbage man? Then, after McGowen left, the REAL perp entered the home (a sadistic white male - right?). He stripped her pants off, but decided he didn’t want to hv sex after all, so he just murdered her.  Yeah, sure. Poor unfortunate black male McGowen. A victim of racism in America. WRONG!

McGowen is right where he belongs! If he’d done his crime in Texas, he would be on death row.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"failed a lie detector"

No, he never took a lie detector test...the fail was her own father!!
        Her father was dating a 19 yr old heroine addict, and she was in with a bad crowd...in fact, the murdered woman told a friend she feared for her safety from that crowd.
        Her own father failed the lie detector test, not Chris.

Chris did deny having sex with her....but what would you do if you were a black man confronted by the police? In an all-white area? And I mean all white.
        And the police with a reputation I might add....not a good one.

We don't know what was said in that interrogation. It was not recorded, and it was written 9 days after the fact.
        Plus, the jury itself dis-regarded it because it was so biased against Chris even they didn't believe it!

The ONLY thing they convicted on was his OLD--no tail, which means it was at least 72 hrs old-- dna found inside her...allegedly...I have my doubts about that. The crime lab was in disarray, and the DA got a court order for more dna from Chris 4 mths after he was locked up....I am suspicious!

Plus, there was fresh sperm found on her leg, which they did not test. They did not test blue and white fibers found in her vagina---even though the one white kid had a blue and white sweater on that night!

Blood on the scene...not Chris's...fingerprints...not Chris's. No evidenc of rape, nothing of hers found on him...
        No murder weapon, but the other white guys involved all had previous knife crimes under their belts....

NO. They had NO evidence, NO motive, NO proof.....just a police interrogation which they threw out, and old dna of his in her.
        He said consensual sex...they didn't believe it.
        But what proof did they have? NONE!

Miscarriage of Justice. Foul and racist! And I saw it with my own eyes.

7. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 12 years ago

I will defend our justice system-with its necessary faults-'til the end.  The jury system is the most honorable and fair concept on the planet.  I would say however that cash, media attention and notoriety challenge our original founing father's intentions QUITE negatively and shamefully.  I hate what's going on these days and see it as a travesty!

Yes, the modern system seems not to be what was originally set up. That is the purpose of this question. If we indeed held to the standards set then we would have a great system. However as stated:
      "cash, media attention, and notoriety challenge our original founding father's intentions QUITE negatively"

8. lovemychris profile image76

"After all, what wealthy white woman doesn’t secretly covet sex with a black male - high school dropout - garbage man?"

This attitude is what convicted an innocent man.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In S. Lehretseh's view of the world only black people commit crimes and murder and are racist... A white woman would never want to have sex with a black man unless forced.

I don't know anything about this case so I can't comment on that.

"... A white woman would never want to have sex with a black man unless forced."

You just nailed the reason for the conviction UW...

"Only a black man would make those bruises."
        "This is why I don't like black people"....

said by JURORS!

It is a complete travesty.

2. S Leretseh profile image61

Uninvited Writer : "I don't know anything about this case so I can't comment on that."

LOL. I would think a person with an IQ above 85 would know that all one has to do ... is google "Christopher McCowen".  If you don't know what google means sweet pea , let me know and I'll give you some links to this Christopher McCowen atrocity.

Uninvited Writer : ""In S. Lehretseh's view of the world only black people commit crimes and murder and are racist... A white woman would never want to have sex with a black man unless forced.""

Okay little sweet pea, care to back that comment up with something substantive?

9. lovemychris profile image76

"who you are now implying was a roaring SLUT - again, your ethics descend dude"

She slept around...it was no secret. And Chris is very charming and sweet.

10. lovemychris profile image76

"Then, after McGowen left, the REAL perp entered the home (a sadistic white male - right?). He stripped her pants off, but decided he didn’t want to hv sex after all, so he just murdered her."

Chris wasn't there at all actually. He left the after-party when those white guys came and got violent. Threw a kid out a window they did!!

And, the original autopsy actually had the time of death at 8 am saturday morning, not friday night.
    But Chris had a solid alibi for sat morning, as he was at home...
    So--the cops made the time of death friday night.
    She was found Sunday night in full rigor mortis...dead for 36 hrs...in line with a saturday morning death...AND there was an suv SEEN speeding out of her driveway saturday!! But, we don't know who it was or why they were there, and nobody cares!!.........stunning.

This was a cover-up for the real killer/s.
    Friends in high places makes the world go round.

cris: "This was a cover-up for the real killer/s."

You've obviously already made up your mind.

However, bottom line:

--McCowen lied to police
      --McCowen had opportunity to plan his attack.  Plenty of time.  He'd been picking up her garbage for over 4 years--plenty of time to observe her premises.
      - McCowen home alone watching TV in NOT an alibi
      --McCowen's DNA was found inside the white female (inonclad)

I would think that if a garbage man was able to score w/ a white female like this one, my common sense tells me he’d  boast about it.  Not McCowen.  Not ONE single word about his conquest.  In fact, he DENIED IT EVER HAPPENED.

--Every suspect  cris- EVERY SINGLE SUSPECT - is given the opportunity to take a lie detector test where no eye witness exist.  I remember him failing. However, if what you say cris is right, and he NEVER took one, then that is more evidence of his guilt.  His refulsal cannot be presented to a jury, but it CAN be presented to the DA.

--every interrogation is recored cris.

And you say no motive? Rape isn't a motive? The high school drop out, garbage man's semen was found inside of her. Only his semen!  He is in fact guilty as hell.  You’ve offered this site cris NOTHING exculpatory!

"McCowen home alone watching TV in NOT an alibi"

Where did you get that???

He left the after-party...went home and it was late, so he fell asleep on the couch. He woke up to his little daughter tickling his feet.

Yes, his semen was inside her...they had sex together! Which is all that semen proves. There was no sign of rape...BY EXPERT TESTIMONY.

And, errr--he'd been doing her garbage...plenty of time for them to meet and flirt and have a little fling.

"every interrogation is recored cris."

Not this one! It wasn't. AND, the notes Mason wrote up 9 days after were so biased, the jury threw it out.

"You've obviously already made up your mind."

Oh yeah....from the day they arrested him, I knew he didn't do it. But I NEVER though the BLATANT racism would be so prevalent! That's when I started referring to this place as Cape Crud.

Oh, and it's not only me.....plenty of people know what happened here. There's a culture of silence and fear. People protect their butts. But Manso got it right: You don't convict when there are so many questions. And, a reporter at Court TV said it well: "I would have voted not guilty...not because I can't prove he didn't do it, but because I can't prove that he did!"  THAT is the standard!

Also--they went after Manso to shut him up. Threatened him  with a 50 yr prison sentence.....NASTY people these.
        Now Chris's lawyer is in trouble.....

Their grip runs deep in Massachusetts "just-us" system.

Some people speculate that the real killer/s are part of Whitey Bulgers Winter Hill Gang.
        I don't know...all I know is it is a huge travesty of justice and a huge evil. And the murdered woman has not been avenged. Her killer/s are still free.

cris, did the garbage man, McCowen , take the witness stand in his own defense? No! Right? He did not. And if what you say is correct, that there is no interrogation records, this is to his benefit! cris. There's no video of him squirming, lying, changing his story, etc.  He should have taken the stand...if he was innocent. But he's NOT. He's a murderer and a rapist. 

"so he fell asleep on the couch."
          So that's his alibi?  Ahh, yes cris, MUCH more convincing than simply watching TV.

Also, McCowen refused a lie detector.  That's why no results exist. No innocent person refuses a lie detector.  Finally, AGAIN, McCowen LIED to police when he was asked about ever being in her house ; or having a relationship.  WHY??? She's an unmarried woman!  There's no reason to LIE cris.  He should be boasting about his conquest !

"But he's NOT. He's a murderer and a rapist." 

No, he isn't. And there is no proof of it. In fact, there is plenty of proof that he IS NOT the killer!!

And defense attorneys never put defendants up there, but I know Chris wanted to. Instead, he had to sit there and listen to a bunch of lies.

He left the after-party after the hoodlums came along to start trouble. It was late, he fell asleep.....what's the problem?

I never heard he refused a lie detector test...where did you hear that?
            But I would have too, btw. Knowing the way they can be skewered and that they are not admissable in a court of law, and the way the deck is stacked against black people here.

BUT--her father DID take one, and failed....what does that tell you?

Chris would not boast about his conquest...and he had reason to lie...he was living with his girlfriend at the time.
            And to be honest with you...these people around here have the same attitude you do...if I was black, I would have said NOTHING until I had a lawyer.

The police said the case was solved after Chris was arrested....before they had a trial, the cops said he was guilty.
            A juror said he didn't like black people..that they come here to sell drugs and kill people.
            They made fun of racism in the deliberating room.
            One juror said He scares me, and they referred to him as the big scary black guy.
            Fair and impartial? Not in a MILLION years!

3 jurors were so upset after the trial..they told the judge they had made a big mistake...that they had convicted an innocent man. That they had felt pressured by the judge and other jurors...and that it was a racially biased jury.

But the good ole boys network runs deep here.

The other kid involved, his father and uncles have businesses here, are on the police and fire dpt's....

I notice they have a whole bunch of new equipment and trucks since that trial...I notice.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you feel so strongly about the Casey Anthony case?

Not strongly..because I don't know her or any of them....but I agree with the verdict!

There was no proof, and you can't convict on media-driven hype!

11. TheSenior profile image59
    TheSeniorposted 12 years ago

The Justice system has not failed.  We are to be judged by a sample of our peers - people like us from all walks of life.

The proscecutor's job is very detailed - to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused is the one that did the crime.

If you watch really good prosecutors they have all their ducks in a row and can pinpoint to that event by that person.

I for one do not believe in circumstancial evidense which means that the accused may or may not have committed the crime.  The day after the Casey Anthonly verdict - Judge Andrew Napiltano of Fox News put a saying on FaceBook that said - it is better for a guilty person to be set free than for an innocent person to be found guilty.

I did listen to the states evidence during the trial and the proscecutor did not do their job - even Gloria Allred said the same thing.

I firmly believe that way to many innocent people are put in prison because of lousy Defense attorney's.  Jose Baez was real good, better than the prosecution and the second lead attorney had a commaning presense.

What would then be your opinion of states( such as Alabama) that can convict you based on circumstantial evidence?

12. lovemychris profile image76

Motion seeks new trial for McCowen
    BY DONNA TUNNEY
    DECEMBER 14, 2006
    "Juror B wrote: “After we were deadlocked on Nov. 13, and the court spoke to us, I did not understand that we could remain deadlocked or I would not have ever voted guilty, and none of the other jurors knew better.”
    Juror A stated: “[When] the judge came in to say goodbye to us as a group and told us that a second deadlock would have ended the case, I told him I should have held out. Juror B was crying when the judge came in and said he was sorry about his vote because he thought the defendant was innocent. The judge told him and us that he thought we had made the right decision and that the defendant still had an appeal."
    Additionally, the three jurors charged that other members of the jury typically discussed the case with alternate jurors during lunch and other breaks, after being instructed not to do."

13. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The rule of law is still basically in place.  I wouldn't give a failing grade so long as that remains true.  Just a C-, need to do better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)