Northern Ireland Sectarianism

1. theirishobserver. profile image57
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

I have always believed that if we could export ignorance the north would be the richest economy in the world, the north has always had a fertile soil for the ignorant. We have ‘nationalists’ commenting on the Orange Order, and we can be certain that these nationalists have never put foot inside the doors of an Orange Hall and tried to understand the true nature of the Orange Order. On the other hand, we have ‘unionists’ commenting on ‘republicans’ and yet for the majority of these ‘unionists’ nationalist west Belfast might as well be the west bank, as they have never been there or tried to understand its good people. However, fear not your ignorance, for this is exactly the way the Tribal leaders want you to live. Sinn Fein/IRA have for decades driven Protestants out of areas in which they have had control in order to strengthen that control. Loyalists, mainly driven by criminal ignorance have attacked innocent Catholics and in so doing have weakened the Union. What would happen to Sinn Fein and the DUP if Catholics and Protestants stepped out from behind their ‘peace walls’ and began to work together for better education, healthcare, and so forth for their children, if this happened the tribal leaders would be redundant and the people would no longer live in ignorance.

2. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

It has been a long struggle between 2 groups for scarce resources.

The resources have been the best jobs, the best housing, the best education etc.

The Loyalists have tried to keep the best to themselves.

So I have to agree with:  'if Catholics and Protestants stepped out from behind their ‘peace walls’ and began to work together for better education, healthcare...'

I am obliged to deplore words and phrases like:  'ignorance, tribal leaders, Loyalists, mainly driven by criminal ignorance'

When people are used to ruthlessly following their selfish interests they need to know that there is a way that enlightened self interest will work.

working