jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

A Bumper sticker

1. American View profile image55
    American Viewposted 6 years ago

The car in front of me had a bumper sticker on it. It read: “Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8.” When I got home I opened my bible to the scripture and read it and started laughing.
    Psalm 109:8 –“Let his days be few and brief; And let others step forward to
    replace him.”
    At last –I can voice a Biblical prayer for our president! Let us
    bow our heads and pray.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

And while you're at it, include the rest of our politicians as well.

American Viewposted 6 years ago in reply to this

True, very true. It really does pertain to all of them

2. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 6 years ago

You may want to be real careful with this one and read what the KJV Psalms 109:9 says and what probably wasn't on the bumper sticker. It says:

"Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow."

First, his children nor his wife deserve that. He's not much of a president but he is a good father and husband.

Second, the country doesn't need nor deserve the turmoil it would bring. There would be rioting in the streets and God knows what else.

Third, Obama doesn't deserve to become a martyr. He may be the first black president but he is no way another Martin Luther King. Some men's names deserve to be lifted as they are great men. Obama is not one of them.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's worth quite a bit Longhunter.

2. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Please be aware, I do not want this to be perceived as an admonishment of anyone, including American View. It's not my place to do so and I sincerely hope American View doesn't see it that way. I feel certain he didn't know what the following verse (Psalms 109:9) to the one mentioned on the bumper sticker says.

Long,

I am not religious, I do not believe in God, many here who have read me know that. I had to look it up in my girlfiends bible to see what it said. While I agree with you on what it also said "Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow." But that comes after "Let his days be few and brief; And let others step forward to replace him.”

Now of course the Bumper sticker was a clear reference to the upcoming election. I also agree and you will find in some of my previuos writings, I beleive Obama to be a decent family man. One of only 2 things I give him credit for

But I believe some may say the sentence you point out applies to Obama as well Did he not send troops to Libya? Despite saying he would bring troops home, he sent more to Afghanistan.

Long,  I am not going to debate a book I have not read all of, that would be ridiculas of me to try. I was just pointing out what I saw and thought it was amusing that some are using the bible as a tool against Obama. Nothing more was intended

1. profile image0
          Longhunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

AV, I know nothing more was intended. Psalms 109:8 taken in context, by itself, is amusing. I just didn't want you to be blindsided by liberals trying to accuse you of wanting something to happen to Obama. That was all.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image89
        Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure that many folks who see that sticker will find it amusing and innocent: a prayer for a short administration, a one-term presidency. Hey, I'm not even sure I want him to go two terms, and I think he's doing okay, all things considered.

By the same token, though, I'm pretty sure that the person or people who make and sell that bumper sticker know exactly what they want people to pray for: Obama's death. I don't think that's a very Christian attitude to take. Further, and I have no problems saying so, praying for a president's death is pretty frigging un-American, too.

1. TLMinut profile image61
          TLMinutposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I doubt that's the case at all, neither of us has a way to know for sure, but I really doubt the makers intend it to be more than people looking up the specified verse and laughing. No death wishes, it's just meant to be funny and it is, even to supporters probably. (I'm neither pro nor against Obama).

2. American View profile image55

Jeff,

While I agree, I sure hope the second part is not true. No one should ever think or suggest the death of a President, no matter how lousy we think he is. It is truly UnAmerican in every aspect and on every level.

working