Taking a dump on the constitution

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (93 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

A California city is suing a family for holding bible studies in their home. So where's the UCLA when their basic rights are being violated?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/califor … heir-home/

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Los Angeles.

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very Ironic. The city of Angels.

2. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the idea of indoctrinating children and vulnerable adults goes against ideas of freedom ?

1. profile image0

not in America dude.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Freedom and government are antonyms.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image71
          Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Somalia is the freest country in the world. It must be paradise!

1. recommend1 profile image61

Unusually I have to side with Evan here !!!     Somalia has a strong and actively fierce government in its tribal warlords - as every country would with no organised government.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Did you even bother to read the article?

City officials in San Juan Capistrano, Calif. say Chuck and Stephanie Fromm are in violation of municipal code 9-3.301, which prohibits “religious, fraternal or non-profit” organizations in residential neighborhoods without a permit. Stephanie hosts a Wednesday Bible study that draws about 20 attendees, and Chuck holds a Sunday service that gets about 50.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I read the article. What's your point?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not a dump on the Constitution and for you to claim it is means you apparently only read what you wanted from the article without realizing that the law applies to all.

No one's individual rights were trampled on by what occurred in the article.

1. profile image0

Yes they were.

From what we read it appears that these people are starting a church business without a licence - and have to comply with the same law everyone complies with - how is that infringing their freedom ?

1. profile image0

A business? Lol! That's probably because you live in China where you have no religious freedoms, and because you have such rules imposed on you, you are jealous of the religious freedoms of Americans.

What else is it but a business.

You are seriously misinformed as usual - There is complete religious freedom in China - it is totally legal to practice any religion you like that is not patently harmful to others.  I have been in Catholic, Baptist, Taoist and Buddhist temples or churches all over China.  They are all practising away without interference, even the evangelical christian fools trying to sell their flat earth nonsense to a small community of gullible old women.

1. profile image0

There was no infringement of religious freedom by China stopping [b]outside[b] religious demonstrations - the law against proselytising is very simple and easy to follow and also very sensible.

You can so any religious mumbo jumbo you like in your own house or designated places of worship - ie licenced premises.

People do not want to see a bunch of people wandering around holding up the traffic because of their strange beliefs, any more than a bunch of nudists would be tolerated excercising their 'freedom' to gather in public.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are you confusing Chinas intolerance of political dissent with religious freedoms perhaps?

2. Cagsil profile image71

If that's how you see it, then apparently you don't have all the information you need to come to the correct conclusion. I guess it's time you go learn more about California laws and what exactly these people were doing in the home.

1. profile image0

If you seriously believe that it is a constitutional law then one would have to assume that you hold some sort of bias towards the individual rights of the religious.

Again, that would be a poorly perceived notion. I have no bias with regards to individual rights of those who are religious. And, to say that I do, only means you don't know me. I guess that's not a surprise.

Like I said, apparently there are other factors involved with the article doesn't touch on. So get real.

1. profile image0

I would love to see whatever viable information you find concerning this incident that caused California's fair and unbiased legal system to invade the privacy of an individuals home and fine them for exercising their constitutionally protected first amendment rights.

Since I don't live in California, I'll have to make an example of the state I live in.

I once opened a business in my home. The article claims "non-profit" section of laws. And, you're claiming first amendment violations. But, when I opened a business in my home, I was specifically told that if traffic in and out of my home exceeded a specific amount, then I could run into legal issues. High traffic coming and going into and from a home that has a "non-profit" status, is subjected to other things.

This is why I said you don't understand.

2. thisisoli profile image76
                    thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why is this protected under the first amendment?

3. Jeff Berndt profile image71

"I would love to see whatever viable information you find concerning this incident that caused California's fair and unbiased legal system to invade the privacy of an individuals home and fine them for [violating their towns zoning ordinances]."

There, fixed it for you.

roll

2. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The municipal code is clearly unconstitutional. It violates the rights to worship freely and to assemble. It's harrassment pure and simple!

Untrue, depend on other factors. So, go haunt someone else who doesn't know or understand the laws and constitutional rights.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Correct. Reasonable zoning rules are constitutional. They consider such factors as available parking, traffic congestion, etc., in residential areas. We have churches in our residential neighborhood, but they are on huge pieces of property with parking lots behind the church buildings. Sometimes political fund raisers and graduation parties cause traffic and parking congestion on our side street, but they aren't regular, weekly affairs attended by 50 people. My guess is that some of the atheists in the neighborhood objected to the weekly church services.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a reasonable opportunity for a little civil disobedience.  If one can host a large Sunday Night NFL game night then why not a Bible study or a religious or, for that matter, non-religious gathering.

Sounds like the ordinance could be challenged in a court.

Your example is meaningless considering your comparing apples to oranges. But, again A+ for effort on trying to distort, as per usual.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
          uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A private gathering in a private home.  You're right apples and oranges.

Again, coming from the master of distortion. Good show. roll

2. Jeff Berndt profile image71

No, he sort of has a point.

If a 50-person Football Night happened every week in someone's house, and the town let it continue in spite of a neighbor's complaint, then we'd see that this is a clear case of religious discrimination.

But that hasn't happened as far as we know.

Also, if we agree that a person should be allowed to use his home for whatever purpose he wants to, and that the zoning law is unjust regardless of what kind of gathering it's preventing, then yeah, it is a good time for some civil disobedience.

But there's a difference between hosting a big party once or twice a year, and hosting a big party once or twice a week.

Also, if you go to the mat for the right of this church to gather in this guys' house, no fair complaining when a druidic circle or witches coven or, heaven forbid, a poetry writers' workshop starts meeting every week across the street.

3. thisisoli profile image76
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Interestingly enough it isn't. For the same reason state law can protect religion in ways that federal law cannot (against the wishes of the founding fathers) it can also restrict it.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Is it so tragic that they need to get a permit to run what is essentially a church? Why not just get the permit? If/when it is denied I will agree their rights are under attack, until the they are defending the non-existent "right" to not do boring paperwork. Bureaucratic paperwork is something you render unto Caesar.

"If/when it is denied I will agree their rights are under attack,"
      Not necessarily. They're essentially running a church in an area zoned residential, without a parking lot large enough to accommodate said church. 

They aren't being discriminated against any more than anybody else who was trying to run, say, a two-nights-a-week martial arts academy, or a twice a week actors' workshop in their basement. It's not what they're doing. It's the traffic congestion generated by the large group doing whatever in a residential neighborhood.

Of course, the right wing will try to pretend that this is discrimination against Christians. It isn't, but pretending that it is reinforces the siege mentality to so many wing-nuts are trying to perpetuate.

They don't want real religious freedom. They want their religion to have a privileged status over all others.

5. Lindy's World profile image59
    Lindy's Worldposted 12 years ago

The only reason the city should be required to intervene is if their meetings are causing a safety hazard. I just find that it is kind of interesting that if these same people had the same amount of people over once a twice a week for a BBQ no one would care.  But since it is in the context of this group of people expressing and enjoying their right to religious freedom it is an issue.  That should be something we all need to think about.

1. profile image0

You are exactly correct. This is an outright attack on individual rights, and it is directed at the religious freedoms of American citizens.

1. Lindy's World profile image59
        Lindy's Worldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The scary thing is that there are so many people out their that don't feel that this is a right worth protecting.  This "freedom" is the cornerstone of our country.  It is what made us who we are as a country.  Today it is our right to assembly and religious freedom (as in this case), what will be next our freedom of speech.  All I can say to that is bye bye hubpages, blogs or anything else we hold dear.

1. profile image0

I'm sure we will see more and more stories like this in the future as our individual rights are foregone through a "just" litigation process.

1. Lindy's World profile image59
            Lindy's Worldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And as Americans we should be ashamed of ourselves for just rolling over and throwing our Constitution out the window for the sake of political correctness.   It is a sad thing and our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves.

No, Onusonus, Lindy's World is exactly incorrect.

This is a zoning problem, and nothing more. Pretending that it's an incidence of religious discrimination is not helping anything except the perpetuation of the right-wing conservative Christian siege mentality delusion.

There is no evidence that "if these same people had the same amount of people over once a twice a week for a BBQ no one would care." None. Lindy's World just made that up. It's pure speculation.

6. thisisoli profile image76
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

"Ok then, Enjoy your totalitarian regime."

Thou shalt worship no god before me...

Which totalitarian regime?

1. profile image0

So you are saying God is a totalitarian regime? Interesting, Wrong but interesting.

1. thisisoli profile image76
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How is it wrong, God has said unequivocally that you will worship him, no one else, and if you do decide to worship someone else you go to hell for eternity. If you do things he doesn't like you will also go to hell for varying lengths of time.

7. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

OMG, they broke a law, they got cited. 

Anything else is just posturing.  The law applies to everyone and obviously SOMEONE had a complaint that brought it to law enforcement's attention.  Did that SOMEONE have something against Christianity.... possibly... or maybe he just wanted to get in his dang driveway.

Regardless, once it was brought to the attention of the local authorities they were constrained to act.  To ignore a complaint BECAUSE the gathering was religious in nature would have been just as biased as the meeting group is claiming they were by enforcing it.

If they expect special treatment because of their religion, then they need to put on their big girl panties... or maybe get the appropriate permits/find a legal meeting place.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're missing the point, the law is wrong!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've read the whole law.  It's a simple zoning law that prohibits gatherings in low-density residential communities. Non-profit groups are listed as conditional... which in legalese means "get permission first".  Bed and breakfasts, day cares, residential care facilities, and swimming pools are also conditional.

There are zoning laws for a reason.  Large gatherings of people should not be in residential areas.  Especially light density residential areas... the traffic patterns are not arranged for it, generally the parking is not sufficient, and it brings the land value down.  These particular zoning laws are very heavy on maintaining the natural flow of the land and limit quite a few different kinds of structures.  My guess is the city likes it's low density areas very much as they are probably bringing in the most property taxes.  It's not about religion.  It about maintaining the investments of it's citizens.

If you want to slog through the law, here is the link.  It is dry, much like every piece of zoning law ever written.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx? … California

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I cannot agree with you here.  I grew up in a fairly small Christian sect (although world wide) that believes Jesus taught that worship sessions were to be held in private homes, not in churches.  It has been around for something over 100 years.

Assuming that the city merely wants money in order for people to worship, it would seem to be in violation of at least the spirit of the constitution if not the letter. 

If the city is declaring that it is a zoning matter, with parking and other similar problems as be the root of the question it again very definitely violates the spirit of the constitution.  These people believe in worshipping in their homes as directed by God and Uncle Sam cannot declare otherwise (yes I realize the constitution only addresses federal restrictions and not state, but courts generally seem to interpret it otherwise).  The city will not generally allow private homes on commercial land; by restricting worship to just such places it denies a religion that has been around longer than any such zoning law.

However, you're overlooking the obvious. Religion cannot and will not dictate laws. wink So, therefore, religion loses and rights are not infringed upon.

A side issue, but I find religion can and does dictate laws.  A great many of our laws come right out of the church.

As far as this thread it would seem that the law(s) being discussed here will prevent this small sect from worshipping as they have done for a hundred years - the sect will have to change their beliefs to conform to the new laws.  This in turn seems to me to violate the constitution; yes I know that it merely says govt cannot set up its own religion, but by refusing to allow a long standing church to exist I think a court would hold it as unconstitutional.

Used to, which laws are still on the books, because they don't only apply to those who are religious but to mass society's overall existence.
                Untrue. It doesn't have to change it's beliefs. It has to change it's location.

But it can't.  You can't generally put a home into the commercial zoned area which a church would occupy (I think, anyway - not really up on zoning laws).  Therefore you can't live in a church, which is what their religion requires.

No religion that I know requires anyone to live in a church. But, that's off topic with regards to this thread.

Zoning laws need to be in place for the well being of social communities. Not all communities are based on religion and even if entire community was solely based on a religious belief, it must not be able to dictate laws. Yes, I know it was that way in the long dead past, but not anymore, because of social acceptance of individual rights.

Rastafarianism uses marijuana smoking as a sacrament. Pot is still illegal.

Some Mormon splinter groups practice polygamy. Polygamy is still illegal*.

Some Muslim women wear face coverings as an article of faith. But they can't get a driver's license without taking off the face covering.

You can't just say, "Oh, it's my religion" and get special dispensation to break the law.

*Polygamy between informed, competent, consenting adults actually shouldn't be illegal, imo. When children are coerced into a polygamous relationship, or when a person marries more than one spouse without the knowledge of all spouses involved, that is and should be illegal.

"Assuming that the city merely wants money in order for people to worship, it would seem to be in violation of at least the spirit of the constitution if not the letter."

If this rule applied only to church groups, you'd have a good case, and I'd be right there with you.

But if it applies to any regular gathering of a large number of people in a residential zone, as it seems to, then you're asking for privileged status for churches as opposed to secular book clubs, karate schools, folk music circles, etc.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Quite.

If they had been having a Richard Dawkin's reading circle or Wiccan coven meeting exactly the same thing would have happened.

Something that does not discriminate based on religion, cannot be religious discrimination.

2. wilderness profile image96

Don't churches always get privileged status anyway?  No taxes on buildings designed for worship for instance.  OK to ding dong the big bells early in the morning, parking only on the public street, etc.

They do get tax-free status, which I don't so much like, but as long as the same status is equally available to all churches, I'm not going to gripe so much.

And again, nobody is trying to stop anybody from worshipping in this instance. They're trying to get the homeowner to comply with local zoning ordinances, which the owner either knew about or ought to have known about when he bought his home.

Some localities don't allow campaign signs on lawns. This is spelled out in the bylaws of the local homeowners' association. If someone wants to put campaign signs on their lawn, they either need to live somewhere where it's allowed or else get their neighbors to agree to change the rule.

Same kind of thing here. The church can get a permit, and continue to operate. Or they can not get a permit and continue to get fined. Or they can campaign to get the rules changed to allow gatherings of 50 or more people without a permit in their area.

My point is that while the rule may or may not be a good rule (and I have no opinion yet on whether it is good or not), it is still a rule that applies across the board for everyone. This is not a case of religious discrimination, as some folks would have us believe.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

I don't see how needing a license for your church is any more wrong than needing a license for your car or dog.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unless the dog is Christian, in which case it is obviously above the law...

Wait a minute....D O G...G O D...

So you believe that zoning laws are wrong?

Or you just think that Christians should be allowed to do whatever they want and everyone else should just let them, since they're Christians?

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

This doesn't look like a local law that's interfering with the US Constitution 1st Amendment at all.

Consider the interpretation of the 1st Amendment - Laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious beliefs and opinions, they may with practices.

Consider if my religion allows me the practice of human sacrifice. If I was a US citizen, I can do this under the constitution. Yet I cannot due to state or local law. (In regards to laws about murder or manslaughter).

May be one for the legal eagles to debate, I'm an Australian looking at the outside in, but that's how I interpret the constitution and the local law.

So for this couple, their right to practice religion , and the right to assemble is not either, but to do in their house without a permit is against local law, yet still protected under the 1st Amendment.

9. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago

The Political forum sure seems to attract a lot of "experts" on the Constitution!

"Experts" who can't tell the difference between the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. smile

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... said the man who ignores the 10th amendment...

10. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Wonder how they would feel if 50 gays descended into their neighborhood weekly for a meeting.  They would be the first ones screaming.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

And secretly fantasizing about close encounters...

11. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

I'm an atheist, and this sort of stuff pisses me off.

Freedom will always win out against tyranny, and it looks like LA is going with the latter.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Based on the fact that someone who didn't bother to apply for a permit got charged with not applying for a permit.

There are a lot of tragedies in the world; this is not one of them.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Requiring permits for large gatherings in a residential area.  Absolutely Hitleresque!! mad

As long as we're railing against the injustice of zoning ordinances and not pretending that this is part of some paranoid war-against-Christ delusional fantasy, I can see your point.

I'm not sure I agree that zoning ordinances are a bad thing by definition, but I agree that they can and do unnecessarily infringe on private property rights.

As long as I don't create a nuisance for my neighbors, I should be able to use my property as I see fit.

But if I do create a nuisance for my neighbors (traffic congestion, loud noises, bad smells, smoke, etc) that interferes with their enjoyment of their own property rights, then yeah, I ought to cut it out. And if I keep infringing on my neighbors' rights, then the township ought to make me cut it out.

The difficulties arise when the obnoxious jerk who refuses to stop burning leaves, or turn his music down, or whatever, argues, "Hey, there's no law against [obnoxious thing that's bugging the neighbors]."

It sounds like the township in this case has found a middle ground: Do what you like on your property. We've got laws on the books against large gatherings, but as long as your gatherings don't bother anybody, we won't stop you from having them. But if we get a call, we're going to give you a warning, and if we get a second call, we're going to give you a citation.

Seems reasonable to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)