Irish Presidential Election 2011 Murder

1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

As new information emerges that Sinn Fein/IRA presidential candidate Martin McGuinness meet with the murderers of Garda Gerry McCabe while those murderers were on the run from Gardai (Irish police), Garda McCabe’s family have issued a statement about McGuinness.

The widow of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe, who was shot dead in an attempted robbery, has accused Martin McGuinness of refusing to assist gardaí in catching the killers of those who died serving the state.

Martin McGuinness said, “I am not going to turn my back on IRA volunteers for the sake of political expediency, this is about a Freestater who tried to stop the IRA carrying out a robbery on our behalf”.

Anne McCabe hit out at the Sinn Féin presidential candidate, maintaining his past cannot be ignored and brushed aside in the interests of peace.

Det Gda McCabe was shot dead on June 7, 1996 outside Adare post office, Co Limerick. Four Provisional IRA members were convicted of his killing.

Mrs McCabe said her family wants to move on and resume what passes for a normal life without a father, husband and brother.

“We can’t move on if Mr McGuinness assumes he can aspire to the symbolic status of first citizen without first discharging the most basic responsibility of any citizen,” she said.

“If Martin McGuinness cannot or will not assist the authorities with its investigations into the murders of police officers, soldiers and prison officers how can we expect the rule of law to prevail under his presidency?
    “This is a moment of truth for all of us.”
    In today's statement, the McCabe family accuses Martin McGuinness of meeting one of the men convicted of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe's killing, Kevin Walsh, while he (Walsh) was on the run.
    Martin McGuinness said, “I am not going to turn my back on IRA volunteers for the sake of political expediency, this is about a Freestater who tried to stop the IRA carrying out a robbery on our behalf”.

working