What is THE LESSON from the 2016 American presidential election? What have you

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 22 months ago

What is THE LESSON from the 2016 American presidential election?  What have you learned from this

election?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7960098_f260.jpg

2. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 22 months ago

I would say one of the most glaring lessons is how many people in the US don't like career politicians.  I also say the election of Donald Trump as a political outsider will forever change politics in the United States. He broke all of the unspoken rules.

3. tamarawilhite profile image89
    tamarawilhiteposted 22 months ago

Liberals wrapped themselves in a mantle of good, smart, rational, moral. This was reinforced by the media and academia that shared this view.
    The labeling of themselves as good, smart and moral let them smear everyone else as stupid, crazy, evil. Now you have an excuse to ignore anyone's contrary views and name-call them as the default response.
    Concerned that illegal immigration depresses wages for the working class, causes ID theft and destroys respect for law? Racist. Concerned that mentally ill men in dresses in the women's room violate women's privacy and rapists would use that status to hurt women, all while 1/5 rape stats are cited? Transphobic. Try to discuss how affirmative action leads to blacks assigned to elite schools they flunk out of disproportionately instead of mid-tier schools where they graduate or they get easy degrees with no economic value? Racist. Or in the case of black economists Mr. Sowell and Walter Williams, called a racist traitor or not really black.
    The reflexive and repeated name calling makes people angry. Responding to legitimate grievances with both denial of the problem and name-calling makes them angrier.
    Combine this with institutional discrimination against conservatives in many workplaces and school. People getting Fs and reprimands for expressing conservative views.

Then you have the state itself weighs on political and social issues (Civil Rights Commissions saying homosexuals can refuse traditional marriage messaging as a political right, conservatives can't refuse because their views are illegal phobia). Hate speech legislation based on the view all conservative opinions are based on hate is censorship by way of pathology.

When you call for the arrest of critics and commit violence against them, liberalism is taking a page from the Koran. Not yet calling for the death of apostates, though their regularly use threats of violence to have events shut down by administrators and city officials. The death threats also add security costs that make it harder to gather, done on purpose by the left.

Yet the majority official response is "oh, they all acted out of hate". The liberals have not yet learned that their branding as good and tolerant is just branding, not true. They have not yet learned tolerance for diversity of opinion or not othering those who dissent. Nor have they abandoned identity politics that assigns acceptable views to people based on demographics and punishes dissidents as apostates.

1. FitnezzJim profile image83
      FitnezzJimposted 22 months agoin reply to this

My goodness.  This is an outstanding response.

2. wba108@yahoo.com profile image80
      wba108@yahoo.composted 22 months agoin reply to this

These tactics are vintage Alinsky, ridicule opponents to silence dissent and continually repeat outrageous lies until they're believed!

4. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 22 months ago

Good Morning Girlfriend Grace....(I LOVE your "School Marm."  she desperately needs a surprise make-over from Hoda and Kathy Lee!..LOL)

THE lesson?  as in one lesson?  Ha!  How about a long list of lessons?  Is this OK?  That's what makes our lives so interesting and fulfilling.  Every day we live, we are learning with every event, situation and experience. Readmikenow has certainly hit on, as he puts it, a "most glaring" lesson:
    Americans aren't too fond of career politicians. I'd add that for me personally, the length of their career isn't as significant as the "quality" of their record.  When one's political career is one long continual volcano of spewing corruption of every form, an on-going stream of lip service resulting in empty promises & feigned (& failed) efforts, theft, recklessness & shamelessness~~it's easy to draw the line.
    When your BRAIN, your heart and your gut screams at you to wake up, it's time to take a firm stand and follow through. Period.
    In terms of their lame excuses, lies & manipulations, they really should be ashamed to carry on the ludicrous & broken record of "Right Wing Conspiracy," over decades...over & over.  No creativity?  Please, think of something new and cease immediately insulting the intelligence & rationale of the American people. 
    It takes a special kind of audacity to think that the masses are plain stupid~ blind, deaf & dumb~ that we are incapable of thought, awareness and BTW, the simple game of connecting the dots.  Over a period of 30 years?  Please, stop. They only succeed in boring us at least but going further and infuriating us.  We do have a weapon.  It's called a vote.  We used it.  It's over.
    Yes, I could go on Grace, Lord knows I can but why?  I feel no need to gloat nor find any joy or comfort in the devastation of others.  In fact, quite the contrary.  That's a future hub, right?  For now I think my answer will suffice. Well I can't be sure what anyone else thinks, but I'm quite satisfied with being one of the enlightened ones. 
    Keep the faith in the BigApple, Grace.  Peace, Paula

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 22 months agoin reply to this

Great answer!!!

5. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 22 months ago

I have yet to learn a lesson from this specific election.  I will just have to see what happens.  All I can say is, I've been frightened once before, when Reagan was re-elected.  I blamed him for the Great Recession of the early 1980s, and thought it was going to continue.  It didn't, and things improved for me as well as the economy.  Since I know a lot more now than I did then, and am in a much better position, perhaps I have nothing to fear.  But that remains to be seen.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 22 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13273238_f260.jpg

I'm overjoyed at what this election has exposed about the mainstream media. How long will it take for these mass media organizations to recover from the election? I should think some of them will never recover, and hit the dustbin of history. And I think that's great.

I was always sure the mass media was forever skewed. I guess I learned I was right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)