jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Rudolph Giulani, ex-Mayor of New York City

1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Rudolph Giulani had an effect upon New Yorkers either way.   You either loved or utterly detested his politics.    However, there was one good thing to say about him-he exhibited his great leadership in uniting New York City during and after the 9/11 incident.    What were your thoughts on Rudolph Giulani?

1. I am DB Cooper profile image73
      I am DB Cooperposted 5 years agoin reply to this

He was at his best when he was wearing women's clothes on Saturday Night Live.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To I am DB Cooper:  Thank you for reminding me.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image78
      Evan G Rogersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

.... didn't the 9/11 attacks unify the city?

I'm pretty sure that no matter who was mayor, they would have been granted the "good at unifying the city" title.

You just kind of had to be there.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Evan for stopping by.  Your comments are enlightening and always welcome!

2. uncorrectedvision profile image59
    uncorrectedvisionposted 5 years ago

Most people don't remember that Giuliani's emergency headquarters were near WTC.  I remember interviews with him between firefighter,EMT and police funerals.  There were hundreds that he attended in the weeks following 9/11.  Regardless of what his detractors might say, that requires enormous reserves of character.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How true.  The point is not whether the city would have come together.  New Yorkers are as great as any other Americans in a crisis.  They don't often need to come together to rebuild the barn but they proved their metal on 9/11.

Rudy proved his, too.  He doesn't mind getting his hands dirty,  Don't assume that any mayor would have done the same.  Some would be content to 'take a walk through the rubble' than command from their cushy office.

working