What do you think about Capital Punishment (the Death Penalty)?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Cat R profile image69
    Cat Rposted 12 years ago

Supporters say that some crimes deserve the Death Penalty and that we are spending too much money to keep prisoners comfortable in prisons. That there are too many people that don't have cable, a home, free education and job training, free cloth, food; things that are provided to prisoners.

On the other side there are statements that say that too many have been put to death that were innocent and that two wrongs don't make it right.

What do you think about the Death Penalty?

And if you are for it, which crimes do you think should be punished with it?

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have to separate hubs on the topic.

American Issue- Capital Punishment and Human Rights

A Civilized Death Penalty Solution

Both answer both sides of the equation and the application of said sentence. I don't agree with it's application as it is presently implemented, but there are a host of other problems that are to be factored in as well.

3. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

I have hubs on this topic too...

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

There are some scum that have no redeeming social value.  Such as child rapists and child murderers.  No sense having the taxpayers suffer while the scum lives in relative comfort.

5. natures47friend profile image68
    natures47friendposted 12 years ago

Here here! Child rapists, murderers and reoffending rapists should have the death sentence. I think rapists maybe should be neutered.. Society is too lenient. In NZ a stupid law of no smacking was passed. Kids are too smart for their own good. Teachers are not allowed to touch kids and we have real pansy jail sentences. A life sentence should be that....life. Getting out half way through for good behaviour is a crock. If I was in charge of the criminal justic system prisoners would be scrub cutting and digging roads by hand tools. There would be no TVs in cells so they want to reoffend to get a good Xmas dinner. Reopen mental hospitals cos those out in the community steal and rape the elderly for drugs or pitiful money. Also, we if we attack an intruder who is a theif or worse in our own home they can take us to court. Pathetic.
    Taxpayers are sick of paying for criminals to relax and perhaps study a new profession or pretend thay have changed and found God. But then there are the ones that are innocent and get jailed as its easier for the police and less work.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Capital punishment should be a decision made by the victim or victim's kin AFTER the individual has been found guilty by an impartial jury.

The victim should also be allowed to force that individual to pay off their debt through labor. I.E: making products and giving 85% of the money made back to the family, while the other 15% is used by the guilty party to live, until the debt is repaid.

Those who commit heinous property rights violations show that they have no respect for property rights, and society should not bother respecting theirs.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you allowed victims to make decisions about penalty then the discreprancy would be huge as tho the penalty imposed.  Some would completely forgive & impose no penalty.  Whilst others would want someone hung drawn and quartered.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would like to point out that the jury system is still in place to give options in my scenario

7. piccard11 profile image60
    piccard11posted 12 years ago

The death penalty is probably one the hardest decisions any society has to make.  I believe the death penalty is a necessary part of a civilized society.  To be civilized we must make certain demands of each other and one of those is the respect for life.  If someone takes a life, he or she has no respect for it and therefore should surrender thiers.  The death penalty should be applied when a person takes away something from another that can not be returned.  Rape, Incest, molestation and murder should all include the death penalty.  Remember we are not judging thier soul but their actions and when those actions warrant the death penalty it should be carried out quickly and humanely.  Prisons are an expensive venture because we have turned them into hotels and spas and we pity the decisions of those who have found themselves in one.  The execution of someone will not prevent another from committing a similar crime but it will prevent them from doing it again which has happened numerous times.  It is unreasonable to take on the burdens of anothers choices and we should be held accountable for ours.

1. profile image57
      Daveybeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that a civilised society makes demands on the individual and sets collective standards to which all must adhere. Neither do I have a problem with the theory of certain crimes carrying a death penalty - think serial rapists or the Jeffrey Dahmers of this world. However, the problem is that no matter how much you tighten the system there is always a risk that an innocent person will be the subject of a miscarriage of justice - and for that reason alone I could never support capital punishment. I would far rather shoulder my share of the additional tax burden in keeping these people locked up than share the collective responsibility of killing an innocent person.

1. piccard11 profile image60
        piccard11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Daveybee,
        I agree that innocent people are at risk and if we could not prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the death penalty should not be applied. .  I would argue however, that keeping them alive at our expensive is a punishment to those of us who obey the law, hardly a fair trade off.  Today in many cases those who commit murder are not even given life sentences, those who commit rape or molestation are given minor sentences.  Perhaps the death penalty would not even be needed if stricter sentences and harsher prisons were in place now.  I think you will find people are more fed up with the lack of punishment than the lack of the death penalty.  I believe we could do away with the death penalty with a society that chose "that being better is living better" I just don't think we will get there in the near future.  Personally I strive to live  no downside life, making choices and decisions that will not have a negative impact on others no matter what it is.  I am not perfect at it but I strive for it because it makes sense to offer those around me the same thing I want, peace.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)