A few questions/concerns about PIPA/SOPA

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. SPomposello profile image68
    SPomposelloposted 12 years ago

1. I can understand how they will throw people who UPLOADED the pirated music/movies online. But what about the people who downloaded or "streamed" it? Are they also to be put in jail? Or it just the people who upload the pirated stuff?

2. If this thing gets passed, does this mean I have to take down all the pics/movie posters for my film reviews (which is FAIR USE) down and replace them with something from morguefile or somewhere? Or will Morguefile go down too?

3. Speaking of film reviews, all of mine are about bad movies, so obviously they're negative opinion-based. I guess these will get taken down to and I will also be thrown in jail for my negative opinion?

On a side note, I know this won't only affect content farms like HubPages, but I personally feel that they don't want the middle-class to have other ways to earn income outside of a job. Even if we're doing nothing wrong and we post our own original content. That is just so wrong.

North America and North Korea might as well become friends.

1. Lissa Joy profile image60
      Lissa Joyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you quote from the movie or reveal any of the plot in your review? Do the movie posters depict actors in the movie or scenes from the movie? If so, then yes. You would be infringing copyright and, essentially, threatening HubPages.

SOPA is scary because, in a nutshell, nobody knows what it will do. In fact, the most dangerous aspect of both bills, as is, remains the vagueness of certain terms. Original content, if it even barely alludes to something now accepted as part of pop culture, can be counted as copyright infringement and allow the government to drag the website through month-long legal battles. Sites like Wikipedia, that rely on consumer-generated content, simply don't have the manpower to police their site against links to copyright material; such a legal restriction could also shut down Youtube (for the many music-with-lyrics videos it hosts right now) and any major search engine that dared to provide a link to a website with something remotely resembling copyright material...providing the government with legal backing and tools to police the Internet (and in conjunction with another act just recently passed) possibly stretch its authority to arrest political dissidents for negative comments. This is why the online community is up in arms about first-amendment freedoms, and has been for almost three months now.

(My apologies for such a long and presumptuous-sounding post; the words had to be a little longer for my logic to make sense.)

SPomposelloposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wait a second, if I talk about the "plot" in the review then that counts? That's ridiculous, what's the whole point of the review then? Wow...

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Yeah, I think if this lousy SOPA does get passed it'll definitely change the landscape of the internet.

Man, I'm scared to publish my next review now...

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.  I know I already did all I can do, as I just called my local Senator twice today about this, and I wrote various letters to Congress and the Senate over SOPA, and why I think it's a bad idea.  Heck, I can name countless of sites where i registered my name to protest the bill.  However, in the end, there's really not much more we can besides the things i just mentioned.

I just hope for the best at this point.  If this SOPA bill does get passed, I know it's definitely going to force me change my writing style which is really bad considering that the Oscars are almost here, and I was looking forward to publishing my predictions on that soon, but with this SOPA thing,...I may have to reconsider...

As I said, the bill is worded vaguely enough that reference to any of the copyrighted work that the company can claim as original intellectual property can turn around and bite the author in the butt on piracy claims.

1. profile image0

Well, I know many of my readers won't like this, as I might have to cancel my Oscar predictions for this year if this gets passed.  Kind of a shame too, as writing about the oscars around this time of the year is always so much fun for me. hmm

I hear ya. But tell me, Steve, if it gets passed, are you going to unpublish all your film-related hubs that you already have?

1. profile image0

Edit:

Unfortunately, I probably will seeing as how I won't have any other choice.  Of course, it might also mean that I'll have to give up reviewing films altogether online.  I can't speak for most critics, but I don't see how I can review a film properly without making some sort of reference to the story of it.  oh well...maybe I'll start writing more hubs on online safety and poems for now on instead.  Besides, at least, I think writing about those two topics won't violate any SOPA rules as far as I know.

2. profile image0

What about you?  Are you going to unpublish yours if this bill goes into effect?

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know what other choice I will have. It would definitely break my heart though.

1. profile image0

Same here.  Hubpages is the only site that I can feel free to talk about movies that i like without ever feeling judged.  If that goes away for me, then it'll definitely eat me up inside.  Sure, I'll probably still stay to write other things, but it won't be the same again...

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Yeah, I concur with SPomposello here, as I know in a lot of my reviews, I always like to usually start by telling my readers a bit of the story.  Not all of it obviously, but just enough to let them know what it's about.  Then as I'm writing out the story, I go over my thoughts over the movie from there.  If this SOPA doesn't allow us to talk about the story, then that's really going to force me to change my writing style.  Not saying it can't be done, but it'll really make it difficult for me to depict why a film is good or bad if I can't make any reference to the story of the movie at all.

4. CarltheCritic1291 profile image68
    CarltheCritic1291posted 12 years ago

**This reply has been censored by SOPA**

5. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

If SOPA/PIPA/ACTA gets passed then using pre-release spoilers, set images and other stuff is going to cost you jail and website will be taken down as well.

Well, I guess they can't put me in jail if I remove everything completely, that is if the bill gets passed.

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes. "If" that bill gets passed... other than that, there's always possibility of editing the hubs for removing spoilers (in case of upcoming movies) or removing links to streaming sites or anything that violates rights of those corps in entertainment industry.

6. Joe Macho profile image83
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

Ah, instead of worrying about it, try and stay positive. We could all use a little optimism right now. Don't let the fear stop you from doing what you love!

7. Lissa Joy profile image60
    Lissa Joyposted 12 years ago

Because of the online blackout yesterday, at least two co-sponsors of the bills are backpedaling: thanks to the people that protested, SOPA may actually become NOPE-A. Hopefully, Congress responds further to the protest of the Americans, or perhaps more importantly, the mounting threats to vote them out come election day.

8. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"Internet Blackout Causes 18 Senators to Flee from PIPA". "Roy Blunt (R-MO) *
    John Boozman (R-AR) *
    Scott Brown (R-MA)
    Ben Cardin (D-MD) *
    John Cornyn (R-TX)
    Jim DeMint (R-SC)
    Orrin Hatch (R-UT) *
    James Inhofe (R-OK)
    Mark Kirk (R-IL)
    Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
    Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
    Marco Rubio (R-FL) *
    Olympia Snowe (R-ME)
    David Vitter (R-LA)*
    Tom Coburn (R-OK)
    Pat Toomey (R-PA)
    Mike Johanns (R-NE)
    Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)*

If this were Facebook, I'd be hitting "like" PRONTO. Thanks for adding that. I'd only heard of six senators/reps total as of yesterday. Unfortunately, SOPA had about 80 supporters to begin with. So the next week-ish is crucial to getting them away from the bill.

On another note, does anyone know anything about OPEN, the bill that's rumored to replace SOPA/PIPA if they go dead?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)