Why I chose a vegan lifestyle

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. anonymousthoguhts profile image61
    anonymousthoguhtsposted 12 years ago

Want to know why I chose to live a vegan lifestyle ? Yes? Okay but remember these are my opinions and beliefs , I am not forcing my way of thinking on anyone . Okay so my first reason is yes , my unconditional love for animals. I refuse to support the belief that animals were put on this earth to be eaten. “and ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of the beast of the field; ye shall throw it to the dogs”-exodus 22:31… Animals are living ,breathing animals who deserve love and compassion. If you go to PETA.com you can read all about the truth of what happens to innocent animals everyday. Okay are you wondering why didn’t you just go vegetarian,why vegan? Well I do not believe in the consumption of dairy either. It is completely unnatural for humans to drink a cows milk. Yes,there. Are plenty of people who say it is healthy and needed for your bones ect. But if that’s true then why is milk one of the leading causes of osteoporosis? No mammal naturally consumes milk after weening off of their mothers milk. Would you breast feed a cow? Oh it sounds weird to you if i put It like that? Well what do you think milk is? It’s a cows breast milk, meant for calves. Okay, now on to the health benefits of being vegan. First of all ,animal products are the only things that have cholesterol , eliminate the animal products and you eliminate so many health problems. But isn’t fish oil healthy for you? No, it is not. Omega fatty acids are healthy which can be found through Vegetables. With fish, and fish oil you also get a serving of mercury, yum! Let’s put it this way, if you can not consume something while pregnant lets assume it’s bad for your body all the time! People have also been taught that you need meat for iron, that is a big fat lie. Beans= iron .are you wondering how to get the nutrition you need while being vegan? Well I’ll get to that but first I’m going to say that no, you don’t have to eat nasty food, and you don’t have to miss out on things you like. There are plenty of substitutes that give you enough nutrition, as well as taste great. And don’t let people fool you by saying you will become weak and sick by living a vegan lifestyle , it is actually vice versa. Ailments come from bad health, which is a result of a poor diet. (IE: hamburgers,bacon,hotdogs,and chicken) not to mentions that these animals are pumped with hormones and steroids before they are killed, what are you really eating? Okay so what can you eat? Well there are many,many recipes out there ( I will be posting a lot of them myself) but the things you should try to eat often are -beans,soy milk,tofu,dark green veggies, fruits &veggies with a lot of antioxidants , meat substitutes such as boca burgers,veggie buffalo wings,and meatless meatballs are delicious. Spices are also very important. You should also take a multi vitamin(make sure it contains b12) everyday. I know there are foods I did not include but if you do a little research you will find many food choices. Well I’m glad you took the time to read this . Thanks -KD

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting thoughts. I can see where you are coming from.
      Most people don't see animals as having any value, or at least significantly less so than human beings.
      Do you think animals share the same value as humans, or less? Do they have value?

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm happy that you are happy, but your statements are, just as you said, "opinions." You have clearly not read ANY meaningful evolutionary or genetic science regarding what loosely counts as "race" and involves nomadic lifestyles dating back tens and even hundreds of thousands of years.

Which is cool. You don't have to pay attention that stuff. Religious people don't either, which is what, in MY opinion vegan habits are, or at least resemble: Dedication to belief based on feelings and selective reading. I'm glad you are happy in your beliefs,but for anyone who reads more broadly across the span of human inspection, investigation and introspection, well, yeah, it's kind of silly.

But then, who cares about facts in the end anyway. We only really know for a fact that we have this life and then we die. Everything else is completely unprovable, so there is a fantastic argument to be made for the idea that ignorance is bliss. An argument that I have absolutely no counter for. I may be enjoying it myself. Almost certainly am. Enjoy your carrot. I'll eat this burger and, well, maybe one of us will end up in heaven or hell... or we'll just both be dead and some new people will puke their meaningless beliefs into the air during their time. LOL

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

You should make a Hub about this.  It would reach a lot more people compared to just posting in the forums.

3. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

I've always wanted to ask a vegan their opinion on this: What do you think about the fact that there is no natural non-animal source of Vitamin B12? In a fairly real sense anyone who had tried to become vegan before the development of artificial supplements would potentially have suffered from B12 deficiency; it can take years to develop in adults, if ever, but it can and has caused acute effects and even death in infants whose parents tried to raise their children vegan without adequate supplements.

To me this implies that veganism is biologically unsound, because you can't get all of your essential nutrients from natural sources. How would you respond to that?

1. anonymousthoguhts profile image61

@eric newland even though there is not a natural source of b12 (although it is possible we have not discovered it yet (: ) I do think the health benefits of not eating meat or dairy out weigh that fact , now that we do have access to the supplement.

2. anonymousthoguhts profile image61

Justifiable  could mean different things to different people.  I do believe in humanly putting an animal down if there is a serious illness that can not be treated,or if the animal is in pain. I also believe that if there is a life or death situation between a human and an animal and killing the animal is the only option, then it would have to be done. But just killing an animal for any other human benefit is in my opinion ,not okay.

3. anonymousthoguhts profile image61

@shadesbreath thank you for your feedback..it's an amazing thing that we are all able to form our own opinions,although it is a fact that eating "clean" highly reduces the risk of heart attacks, cancer,high blood pressure and diabetes . to each their own . If what you do makes you happy then in the end that's what matters in your life.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76

Actually, that's not true unless you use gross averages. If you look at genetic subgroups, you'll find that where your ancestry comes from has pretty much everything to do with those "risks." People who are, for example, of Nordic ancestry evolved in a place where the cold seasons took up huge portions of the year and farming represented only a small portion of their overall annual caloric intake. These people hunted heavily and, therefore, evolved systems that not only abide red meats and high fat, but also require them for maximum vitality.

On the other hand, genetic groups who evolved in tropical climes where vegetable caloric resources were abundant, those stayed true to the original African ancestry of our species, with no significant reason to adapt to other climatically induced caloric survival techniques (nomadic versus gathering societies not articulated here). Those people do show high risk from high fat, animal based diets. Other cultures seem to do better with heavily fish-based diets, (Scandinavian, Inuit, Japanese, etc.) further giving evidence to the refining nature of evolution and time and the allocation of native resources.

The existence of conditions like "lactose intolerance" and any other condition so obviously genetic and the product of location and evolutionary forces only further lock down how it works.

Again, I'm happy you are happy sparing animals and people the evils of meat eating as you have decided to believe they may be. I just hope that you will spend a few moments considering the broader body of research on the topic before you spend too much time converting people to your "side." You might actually do some serious damage.

4. anonymousthoguhts profile image61

Like I said I do not wish to force my beliefs on anyone,as everyone has different values and beliefs , I am just posting my personal opinion because I know some people agree and some people are interested. This subject could be debated for years and years but I will never agree with  a non vegan lifestyle and many will never agree with a vegan lifestyle and that's fine.people have a mind set and once they believe what they believe it rarely changes. We are who we are and there is nothing wrong with that. That's the beauty of being our own unique person. -KD

1. Shadesbreath profile image76

Totally agree. I only worry when beliefs starting getting presented as facts and then, well, damage starts getting done. That said, rock on!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)