Redistricting and Race

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

Brenda Landwher, a Kansas politician who is currently in a redistricting fight, claimed, "Gerrymandering an area of Wichita where primarily Caucasian voters reside in homes that are upwards of $800,000 in price violates committee rules and federal redistricting guidelines.  Any map that draws my home into Sen. Oletha Faust-Goudeau's district is a violation of two communities' interest."  The redistricting plan would ensure that more minorities would be in her district, which is 84% white.  Faust-Goudeau's district is only 45% white.  http://cjonline.com/news/2012-03-14/ger … istricting

To me, this sums up the electoral strategy of the current Republican party.

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

That's why Kucinich and Kaptur had to run against each other. We lost a good Dem either way.
      And why Barney Frank is not running again.

And most def to silence minorities. Our Dem speaker of the house was indicted for that! And lost his job and license to practice law...because the jury saw it as racism.

It's dirty tricks, just like the new voter id laws....dirty tricks.

1. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Their dirty tricks under the Bush administration were aimed at helping the corporations to loot the nation's treasury. Now they are on the attack against their fellow citizens in order to loot the nation's political power.

All they are accomplishing is their sure downfall and demise. Telling large  groups of  American that only white Republicans can enjoy important rights is a sure way to energize voters, class action lawsuits, and organized protest that will shut everything down.

They cannot hire and arm enough overweight and maladjusted pink bullies to control us all.

2. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 12 years ago

Well, you know what they say, If you can't win fair and square, play dirty.

Thank God for Attorney General Holder who is calling for a halt to these practices in South Carolina and Texas. It is more than a coincidence that most of the people that would be practically disenfranchised under these 'laws' are minorities, students and the elderly, who are more likely than not, strong democratic party adherents.

While the 'right' says that everybody needs to get a picture id to drive, for example, voting is a right not a privelege and eligible voters can not be intimidated in this way.

More right wing nonsense that will prove 'dead on arrival'

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In Oklahoma, they don't allow voting on college campuses, even though it would drastically increase the turnout for younger voters.  Gotta love politics.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The elephant sitting in the room is the fact that no government can do something that disenfranchises voters. But we have a corrupted Supreme Court that seems to enjoy writing it's own laws instead of making rulings.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Technically, they "can't."  But they also aren't supposed to hold people indefinitely, or subject them to cruel and unusual punishment, and you know how that has gone recently.

The conservative majority on the Supreme Court might as well just wear the corporate logos that have bought them.  The system is absurd sometimes.

3. American View profile image60
      American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is so wrong with having a voter ID. Here in Texas Holder says poor people have to travel hundreds of miles to get a photo ID. Now, there are so many places to get photo ID no one is hundreds of miles away. But let us just say for now they do live out in the sticks and are hundreds of miles away. Guess what, they are hundreds of miles from supermarkets, jobs, gas, and they travel for those. I would even suggest if they have to travel hundreds of miles to get ID, they would have to drive hundreds of miles to vote. Here ID is needed for almost everything from cashing a check to buying a prescription. If someone does not have ID, how do they live. Claiming millions do not have ID is a disingenuous argument here in Texas

Not to mention that there are 25 million people living here, 10 million are Hispanic. According to Holder he says 4 million do not have IDs and cannot vote. Again, with all the reasons you need to have ID here, there is no way 40% do not have ID.

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, AV, we have spoken on this before, I no problem with Voter ID as long as it is "FREE to those who otherwise would not have acceptable identification. But to get it cannot have people going thru more hassle than what they would have as far as documents and proof necessary prior to the new law. per the excerpt of the article that i read.....Is it a coincidence that a Democratic party constituency is adversely affected, they would love to deprive these people the right to vote, are they not itching for it?

Excerpt below:

Under the law, the state would provide free voter ID cards for those unable to afford driver’s licenses or state ID cards.

Democrats counter the GOP argument, saying that in order to receive free voter identification cards, original copies of birth certificates would be required, or other documents that would cost money and take a lot of time and effort to get.

In other words, some voters would have to pay money they may not have, and jump through inconvenient and time-consuming hoops, in order to vote.

South Carolina’s law was blocked, but eight states have passed voter ID laws just in the past year. Those hit hardest are usually low income voters, the elderly, the ill who can’t leave home, young voters, minorities,

The right had better find another way,,,,,,

1. American View profile image60

Cred,

Under the Texas Voter law the ID cards are free. In Texas, copies of birth certificates are free, providing you were born here. In most sates the cost is minimal, 10 to 20 dollars. It is expensive only in NY and you cannot get there to get a copy of the birth. Hey, how hard is it to get, Obama got his from Hawaii  while he was in DC. No one knows what it takes to get complete ID when you have none more than me. I just went through it here from a hospital bed a few months ago. I got my Birth certificate, my SS card. I had to go to Motor Vehicle for my picture ID. I had to have an Ambulance take me there and back, but I did it. If I can get my Id, anyone can and there is no excuse. And you are aware Texas accepts 7 different types of photo ID to allow someone to vote. Seriously, there is no excuse.

Those who cannot leave home can get mail in ballots and guess what, no voter ID needed for that, just be a registered voter and send in the request. That was how I voted in the last election while in the hospital.

Cred, I am sorry the excuses the left uses just does not fly. You want to say the poor are affected , how? they have to have photo ID, how do they cash their checks whether pay, welfare or SS? Even if they have a bank account and get direct deposit, they needed photo ID to open the account.

1. American View profile image60

Here is why there needs to be voter ID

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03 … -to-steal/

I know that in this instance it was a Democrat that got convicted, but I am sure it happens on both sides.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)