jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)

Now in the USA, Free Speech is a Felony. Is this Ok with you?

1. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 5 years ago
  2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

HR347 isn't great but it makes very little change to the law.  Basically it made a minor change to an existing law that the secret service can make 'protest free zone' around certain events. So they can basically make you move you protest a certain distance away from the person/thing being protested.

Willfully invading such a zone was already a felony.

1. sannyasinman profile image60
      sannyasinmanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Did you watch the video? This is a judge explaining what it actually means in practise ...

The SS can make a "no protest" zone around ANY event and any person that they are protecting - at their discretion -and you can be arrested and imprisoned for 1 year if you do not comply.

This is another "small step" towards a totalitarion police state where no dissent is tolerated. . . but that's Ok with you is it?

3. maxoxam41 profile image78
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

And it is with a gradual chipping off of our liberties that we will lose our freedom, one day. We won't ever notice it, right psycheskinner?

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I watched the video, read the bill, and a legal analysis. (Never depend on FOX, or any network alone--go to the source).

Yes it is bad, no it is not this bill that made it a felony--it already was one.

This bill slightly expands the scope of the felony in terms of the intent of the perpetrator.

It applies to a narrow area of free speech, one of several felonies in this area (threats, incitements etc).

I don't like it but it is not actually a large change and will quite possibly not actually effect anyone.

Me, I protest from behind the barricade unless I willingly take on the risk of arrest.  Civil disobedience is disobedient, felony be damned.

5. lovemychris profile image64
    lovemychrisposted 5 years ago

I think they decided to do this after Giffords was shot. And after members of Congress had white powder sent to them numerous times.

As with everything....a few people ruin it for the rest.

6. Druid Dude profile image62
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

F.O.S. has been dead a long time. The parameters of socially acceptable speech has drifted far left. The english language, evolving as it does, is morphing , yet again. Doublespeak. Acronyms. Texttalk. Are things in our world moving faster than before? Are we rushing headlong into a fractured nation? I saw in 1989 that computers (And that was well before the www) were about to Coup De'tat the entire world. Information is power. Knowledge is strength. The dissemination of what each of us believes and wants, what we know, can be spread faster than ever before, literally at the speed of light. We created something amazing. We are about to exceed the speed of light. Mankind is about to be able to REALLY fast. Mark my words. Freedom of speech still exists on the internet. For how long? Hard to say. We're already being monitored. Have been from the beginning. Oh well. Here we are, and here we be.

7. lovemychris profile image64

Speaking of computers...I hope no one minds this divert...

I wonder if this is what happened to my computer?:

"DNS Changer was a virus run by an Estonian crime ring until authorities and the American FBI broke it up in November. At its peak it infected more than 500,000 PCs and Macs.

The virus, first used in 2007, hijacked users’ computers without their knowledge to generate fraudulent clicks on adverts. Although its only obvious effects were to slightly slow internet connections and to disable antivirus software, it also redirected computers to the fraudsters’ servers.

Turning that server off would have left users without any web access, so the FBI temporarily replaced it with a site to check whether visiting computers had the virus.

The “DNS Checker Page” allows users to see if they have the virus and to remove it, and has been largely responsible for the fall in the virus’s prevalence.

Now the Bureau wants to turn off the server because it is costing tens of thousands of dollars to operate each month. It has announced that on July 9 it will pull the plug, potentially leaving the 350,000 computers that are still infected, 20,000 of which are in the UK and 85,000 in America, without access to the web."

With the great achievements come the criminals and the money-grubbers....We will change, but we must change at the core. Integrity is the new man!!

1. Druid Dude profile image62
      Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a planned obsolesence of your com. Time to up-grade to a new system...this keeps the economy growing, dontcha know? You are feeding the bottomless pit.

1. Druid Dude profile image62
        Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

or the monster at the bottom of it all.

2. lovemychris profile image64
        lovemychrisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's a new one! And it has security! But....I clicked on a link, and Boom! Malware infest. B*st*rds. Got me the last time too...Trojan. Backdoor.

Anyway:

"Cispa cybersecurity bill opposed by Obama administration

Hillary Clinton adviser reiterates president's opposition to Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act ahead of vote"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 … osed-obama

So no one blame him if it happens!  you know who to blame.....

1. innersmiff profile image74
          innersmiffposted 5 years agoin reply to this

lol yes, just like when he 'threatened' to veto NDAA!

If you believe him then . . . good for you. I'm not holding my breath.

2. innersmiff profile image74

I wonder. If Obama doesn't veto the bill, will you change your mind about it and say it's not THAT bad of a bill after all? If you do that then I know you're a shill.

1. lovemychris profile image64

Honestly--that bill doesn't mean diddly to me....they have been watching us since 2002 total information and awareness network.

BUT--it's the Republicans who are telling us they are the party of freedom and liberty...THEY are the ones screaming that Obama is a tyrant..taking away their rights....and THEY are the ones doing it!

Taking away rights, while pointing the finger at Obama.

And, if you are going to call me a shill....I would remind you of a thread that was here after Obama signed the NDAA. All of these R's were practically salivating at the chance to bash Obama ...

And guess what? Romney supports it too. So are all the Romney supporters now shills?

1. innersmiff profile image74

CISPA is yet another extension of state power in our private lives, you can not honestly say that it does not matter. If it doesn't, why go to such lengths to prove that Obama opposes it?

I fully recognise the hypocrisy of both the Republicans and the Democrats. Anybody both denouncing NDAA and CISPA and approving of the Patriot Act are shills or they simply have no idea what they are talking about.

It's corporate power into our private lives too. The merger of the 2: fascism. And the House of Reps is bringing it to you. So stop calling yourselves the freedom and liberty party. That's all.

8. lovemychris profile image64

"The House of Representatives just passed the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), a dangerously overbroad bill that would allow companies to share our private and sensitive information with the government without a warrant and without proper oversight. CISPA gives companies the authority to share that information with the National Security Agency or other elements of the Department of Defense, who could keep it forever."

9. maxoxam41 profile image78
    maxoxam41posted 5 years ago

No it is not but nobody seems to complain about it! America has become a vegetative country!

Nobody complaining? A lot are. They just don't make the news. People have been complaining for a long long time.

working