jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)

Mitt Romney Renames the Country He Hopes to Rule

1. Mighty Mom profile image86
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Typos happen. We all know that. But then there's something called a Freudian slip, where you unintentially say exactly what your unconscience really meant.
    Where does this one fit?
    I could argue that the transposition of "i" and "c" in the word America could sincerely mean that GOP candidate Mitt Romney has a clean, clear vision of our country. He wants to take the "ic" out of it (although not out of politICs that I can see).
    On the other hand, he has replaced America with Amercia. The adjective forms would thus change from American to Amercial. Amercial is dangerously close to Commercial. In this interpretation I envision a country where, as Romney has stated, corporations are people.

What do you think of Amercia?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/3 … ostpopular

There's America, and there's Mitt Romney's "Amercia."

Twitter was ablaze with commentary on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning after it came to light that the Romney campaign's newly released app, "With Mitt," misspelled "America" as "Amercia."

The free iPhone app allows supporters to personalize and share photos that are superimposed with one of more than a dozen phrases, like "I stand with Mitt," "Obama isn't working" and "American Greatness."

But one of the slogans plasters "A Better Amercia" across the front of the image.

As of Wednesday morning, the app still had not been updated.

Since the app encourages sharing the photos on Facebook and Twitter, many users took to the web with their photos, using the #WithMitt hashtag that Romney himself tweeted on Tuesday evening. The gaffe has even spawned a Tumblr, "Amercia Is With Mitt."

"Mistakes happen," Andrea Saul, Romney Press Secretary, said in an appearance on MSNBC Wednesday morning. "I don't think any voter cares about a typo." Saul added that an update has been sent to Apple.

�We thought this would be a fun, easy way to showcase support,� Zac Moffatt, the digital director of the Romney campaign, told Mashable.

Well, a lot of users are having fun, but the response is probably not as supportive as the campaign had hoped.

Update: 2:25 p.m. EDT -- An update for the app has been released that removes the offending "A Better Amercia" pane, so now only 13 slogans are available. The update, version 1.0.1, is labeled in the App Store as "bug fixes."

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Most likely scenario. A low-level member of his campaign made an app with a typo.

Isn't it great how things like this get so much coverage?

Romney can't spell America! Obama doesn't know how many states there are! Romney hates his dog! Obama is a Muslim!

US Politics is a spectator sport.

1. Mighty Mom profile image86
        Mighty Momposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Uh, close, but no (Clinton) cigar.
        Which one of these items doesn't fit with the other 3?
        You see, we're going for light and airy and slightly absurd today, JaxsonRaine.
        If you're willing to find a substitution for "Obama is a Muslim" (which honestly shouldn't be that hard) you'll score perfect points for your post.
        smile

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Romney is an idiot. He is so full of himself it's not even funny, but is sad. hmm

1. American View profile image59
      American Viewposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They are both so full of themselves, this will be the worst election in history

3. Mighty Mom profile image86
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I guess this officially lets Dan Quayle out as Romney's running mate.
    There's a rule that at least one of the candidates on a platform own a dictionary.

1. livelonger profile image96
      livelongerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I, um, think that, like such as, we don't have enough maps, either. Like the Iraq.

1. Shanna11 profile image95
        Shanna11posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hahahahah that poor girl. She is never going to live that down....

She should be happy that she started one of the world's best known memes! wink

2. Mighty Mom profile image86
        Mighty Momposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why Miss South Carolina, it's so lovely of you to weigh in on this subject.
        Thanks for sharing your innermost thoug.. er, malapropisms with tonight's audience!
        lol

4. Shanna11 profile image95
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

It's not like HE was the one who typed it out or programmed the app. A lot of hoopla over something that I think is frankly stupid-- the media takes whatever tiny grain they can and tries to grow it into a loaf of bread, like they did with Obama's completely harmless comment about the Polish death camps.

People are so willing to blow things out of proportion.

BTW, Huffpo is a ridiculous news outlet of the lowest quality.

I agree, and I'm their target (liberal). I think it's really trashy.

2. DannyMaio profile image60
      DannyMaioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very true!

5. handymanbill profile image82
    handymanbillposted 5 years ago

Guess they never heard of spell check

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I would have interpreted it as Amer - CIA, although I thought he was running for the president of Israel, even if he is a Mormon.

1. profile image0

I guess you could say we are AmerCIA now, what with the Patriot Act and NDAA...

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. Druid Dude profile image61
          Druid Dudeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Announcing my official candadacy for POTUS: Since we misnamed the natives here, called 'em indians, I propose we call the U.S. Indiana from now on. I will move the capitol from D.C. to Gary, and serve my first term from there.smile

2. profile image0

My biggest disappointment in Romney is that he's not against it. Hopefully the NDAA can get overturned just like affordable healthcare.

1. Cagsil profile image59
            Cagsilposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Please make a distinction between "affordable" healthcare and "universal mandated" healthcare. There is a clear distinction that must be made in order to avoid misconceptions about it.

I have found that NDAA, SOPA, the Patriot Act(and homeland security morons) shouldn't exist and are in fact a violation of individual rights, disguised as "in the best interests of society".

1. profile image0

I mean the, what is it, patient protection and affordable healthcare act, or whatever it's called.

Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you, we should not allow our government to take away our rights 'for our own good'.

working