Mitt Romney Renames the Country He Hopes to Rule

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Typos happen. We all know that. But then there's something called a Freudian slip, where you unintentially say exactly what your unconscience really meant.
    Where does this one fit?
    I could argue that the transposition of "i" and "c" in the word America could sincerely mean that GOP candidate Mitt Romney has a clean, clear vision of our country. He wants to take the "ic" out of it (although not out of politICs that I can see).
    On the other hand, he has replaced America with Amercia. The adjective forms would thus change from American to Amercial. Amercial is dangerously close to Commercial. In this interpretation I envision a country where, as Romney has stated, corporations are people.

What do you think of Amercia?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/3 … ostpopular

There's America, and there's Mitt Romney's "Amercia."

Twitter was ablaze with commentary on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning after it came to light that the Romney campaign's newly released app, "With Mitt," misspelled "America" as "Amercia."

The free iPhone app allows supporters to personalize and share photos that are superimposed with one of more than a dozen phrases, like "I stand with Mitt," "Obama isn't working" and "American Greatness."

But one of the slogans plasters "A Better Amercia" across the front of the image.

As of Wednesday morning, the app still had not been updated.

Since the app encourages sharing the photos on Facebook and Twitter, many users took to the web with their photos, using the #WithMitt hashtag that Romney himself tweeted on Tuesday evening. The gaffe has even spawned a Tumblr, "Amercia Is With Mitt."

"Mistakes happen," Andrea Saul, Romney Press Secretary, said in an appearance on MSNBC Wednesday morning. "I don't think any voter cares about a typo." Saul added that an update has been sent to Apple.

�We thought this would be a fun, easy way to showcase support,� Zac Moffatt, the digital director of the Romney campaign, told Mashable.

Well, a lot of users are having fun, but the response is probably not as supportive as the campaign had hoped.

Update: 2:25 p.m. EDT -- An update for the app has been released that removes the offending "A Better Amercia" pane, so now only 13 slogans are available. The update, version 1.0.1, is labeled in the App Store as "bug fixes."

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most likely scenario. A low-level member of his campaign made an app with a typo.

Isn't it great how things like this get so much coverage?

Romney can't spell America! Obama doesn't know how many states there are! Romney hates his dog! Obama is a Muslim!

US Politics is a spectator sport.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Uh, close, but no (Clinton) cigar.
        Which one of these items doesn't fit with the other 3?
        You see, we're going for light and airy and slightly absurd today, JaxsonRaine.
        If you're willing to find a substitution for "Obama is a Muslim" (which honestly shouldn't be that hard) you'll score perfect points for your post.
        smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Romney is an idiot. He is so full of himself it's not even funny, but is sad. hmm

1. American View profile image60
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are both so full of themselves, this will be the worst election in history

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I guess this officially lets Dan Quayle out as Romney's running mate.
    There's a rule that at least one of the candidates on a platform own a dictionary.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I, um, think that, like such as, we don't have enough maps, either. Like the Iraq.

1. Shanna11 profile image75
        Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hahahahah that poor girl. She is never going to live that down....

She should be happy that she started one of the world's best known memes! wink

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why Miss South Carolina, it's so lovely of you to weigh in on this subject.
        Thanks for sharing your innermost thoug.. er, malapropisms with tonight's audience!
        lol

4. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

It's not like HE was the one who typed it out or programmed the app. A lot of hoopla over something that I think is frankly stupid-- the media takes whatever tiny grain they can and tries to grow it into a loaf of bread, like they did with Obama's completely harmless comment about the Polish death camps.

People are so willing to blow things out of proportion.

BTW, Huffpo is a ridiculous news outlet of the lowest quality.

I agree, and I'm their target (liberal). I think it's really trashy.

2. DannyMaio profile image60
      DannyMaioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true!

5. handymanbill profile image75
    handymanbillposted 11 years ago

Guess they never heard of spell check

6. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I would have interpreted it as Amer - CIA, although I thought he was running for the president of Israel, even if he is a Mormon.

1. profile image0

I guess you could say we are AmerCIA now, what with the Patriot Act and NDAA...

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

1. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Announcing my official candadacy for POTUS: Since we misnamed the natives here, called 'em indians, I propose we call the U.S. Indiana from now on. I will move the capitol from D.C. to Gary, and serve my first term from there.smile

2. profile image0

My biggest disappointment in Romney is that he's not against it. Hopefully the NDAA can get overturned just like affordable healthcare.

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Please make a distinction between "affordable" healthcare and "universal mandated" healthcare. There is a clear distinction that must be made in order to avoid misconceptions about it.

I have found that NDAA, SOPA, the Patriot Act(and homeland security morons) shouldn't exist and are in fact a violation of individual rights, disguised as "in the best interests of society".

1. profile image0

I mean the, what is it, patient protection and affordable healthcare act, or whatever it's called.

Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you, we should not allow our government to take away our rights 'for our own good'.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)