jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How can couples (gay or straight) politely respond to the questions "When are yo

1. LowellWriter profile image77
    LowellWriterposted 9 years ago

How can couples (gay or straight) politely respond to the questions "When are you getting married?" and "When are you having children?" when they believe it's no one's business, but their own?

2. wesleyacarter profile image49
    wesleyacarterposted 8 years ago

I think that people who ask that question, more often than not, feel like it is their business because they are your friend and are concerned for your future. This also gives you an opportunity to put in words what your plans are and be held accountable for them, not by the one asking, but by the universe. The only reason you would be offended or feel it is not someone's business is if you are insecure or unsure of your plans. I am happy to tell complete strangers what my complete plans are if I fully intend to execute. I don't think people are inherently trying to be nosy or offensive.

So i guess the polite thing to do is to say what is really in your intention, if it is someone you can trust i suppose. It would be rude to lie, and it would be rude to chastise someone for asking.
    Honesty is the best policy, not toward them, but toward yourself.

3. teendad profile image59
    teendadposted 8 years ago

Mr. wesleyacarter must think a little more highly of most folks than I do. I have married friends who are infertile, and people inquire all the time as to why they don't have any children. I do think those people are just being nosy, and they aren't at all thinking of what pain they cause by bringing up the topic of children. If people are going to ask a personal question, they should get a response, but not necessarily a polite one.

4. lezgoplay profile image55
    lezgoplayposted 8 years ago

Lowell, you are perfectly right. It really is no one elses business. So, for being polite you could answer" We really haven't discussed that yet, but we'll let ya know"...

5. sturner1 profile image66
    sturner1posted 7 years ago

A polite anwer would be, "When we both think the time is right". That way the person asking will know that it's your decision and will not be influenced by someone else.

working