jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How to politely answer the very personal questions-how much do you earn?

1. dipsmi profile image75
    dipsmiposted 6 years ago

How to politely answer the very personal questions-how much do you earn?

How much does your spouse earns?when do you plan to have a baby?

2. moncrieff profile image80
    moncrieffposted 6 years ago

Joke it away or give vague answers. How much does your spouse earn? - I have the same question for her/him. When do you plan to have a baby? - Tonight. But sometimes it's hard to get out of a question. You can always, of course, answer: "It's not your business", but it surely sounds rude.

3. LegendaryN8 profile image58
    LegendaryN8posted 6 years ago

I wouldn't give this a serious answer unless I were really close to the person - only because I don't see how the question could be asked without having some reason (ulterior motive) behind it.

I guess a polite way to couch it is saying something like "I make ends meet".  If they can't get the hint on that one and they insist on knowing (and you aren't willing to share), you might have to be a bit more firm with your response:

"I'm sorry, but I am not very comfortable sharing that information".

Or you could counter it with an inquiry:

"I would feel more comfortable answering if I could ask you, why do you want to know?"

4. beemailme profile image60
    beemailmeposted 6 years ago

Well, since "None of your business" is out, I would defer to my standby statement that always works for me in those uncomfortable situations, and that is: "I prefer not to answer that question."

5. rikabothra profile image59
    rikabothraposted 6 years ago

Tricky question and no matter how much I thought about it I do not think you can always answer these personal questions politely. You need to make others feel that you are uncomfortable answering these questions or else they will never stop.

You can say, " I earn enough to take care of myself and to keep myself happy - the details of which I do not like sharing with people."

As for when you plan to have a abay - " When I am ready to take that additional responsibility, I will have one. Do not worry you will be the first one to know (sarcastically) !" Hopefully, this should shut people up.

6. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 6 years ago

It is hard for me to understand why anyone really would ask these types of questions, but I know people do. It is even harder for me to understand why we let people get away with this type of behavior. 

I feel some straight talking is in order in this type of situation and I would tell them, politely but firmly, they are overstepping your personal boundaries and you would like to change the subject.  If that offends the person asking, I think I would just smile, excuse myself and walk away.

working