How to tell some one politely not to text you so much?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (24 posts)
  1. stricktlydating profile image85
    stricktlydatingposted 11 years ago

How to tell some one politely not to text you so much?

When someone you know is sms'ing you like 6 times every day.  How would you tell them to cool down with them without seeming rude?

2. Dawit T profile image60
    Dawit Tposted 11 years ago

Be honest and tell the person why you don't feel like being text 6 times a day. You are not responsible for someones feelings and for them to take everything they hear personal. Just be honest

3. MickS profile image61
    MickSposted 11 years ago

Say - stop texting me so often.------------------------------------------------------

stricktlydatingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simple and to the point, thank you!

4. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 11 years ago

Don't answer! Works for me, people finally got the clue calling and leaving a message or sending an e-mail works much better for me.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

2. Peanutritious profile image61
      Peanutritiousposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That seems like the best option to me too, they'll soon get the message

5. sangre profile image92
    sangreposted 11 years ago

Take a long time to answer the text. The longer it takes to reply back, the less texts you will get. Or you could knock of your phone and say that the battery died during the day.

6. profile image0
    Vickiwposted 11 years ago

I would suggest telling them you will have to read them at the end if the day, because you have decided you are spending too much time texting, and will be happy to reply just once a day.

That sounds reasonable! Thank you!

7. lupine profile image66
    lupineposted 11 years ago

Just don't answer each text, only if important. Tell them you get too many texts in a day and can't read, or answer when you are doing something. (working, school, driving, cooking, shopping, etc.)

Sounds like good advice thanks!
      I enjoy reading everyones answers here too thank you all for your great input!

8. profile image0
    Pamdoraposted 11 years ago

This one is easy for me.  I let them know that my combination of brain demyelination and arthritis make it literally impossible for me to text them back.

That slows them right down. smile

9. The Unlearner profile image67
    The Unlearnerposted 11 years ago

I would call them and say, please don't text me, it costs me too much to reply, and I don't want you to assume I am ignoring you. It's better to talk smile

10. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 11 years ago

R U BORED M8? ;~) 2 BUSY 2 RePly C U L8ter

11. enick159 profile image68
    enick159posted 11 years ago

I think honesty is the best policy. Tell them that you feel that they are texting you too much and that you would appreciate it if they only texted you when it is important. If you aren't upfront with them it might only lead to problems later down the line.

12. profile image0
    apimentel33posted 11 years ago

I agree; doing less in this situation should solve it. I've had friends that text way too much, and I get that it's easier to text than call, but constant texting is not something I'm down for; I can't stand feeling like all I'm doing is sitting there with my phone texting texting texting. If you ignore them, or "pretend" you were busy for a while (or a few hours), or consistently "forget" to get back to them for the rest of the day, I'm sure they'd eventually get the hint that you aren't reciprocating much and they should take their texty conversations elsewhere.

13. CertifiedHandy profile image61
    CertifiedHandyposted 11 years ago

I love you, so stop texting so much or call me sometimes, we haven't talked in a while

14. Tephs profile image57
    Tephsposted 11 years ago

I believe that honest communication is necessary for you to be able to express what you really feel about receiving so many text messages in a day rather than just ignoring them because the sender could  misinterpret you as having not enough credit to send a reply or worse she or he might see if as though you don't like him or her at all that you ignore his or her messages.  That's it.  To avoid miscommunication,  I believe being honest and open solve the issue.

15. snakeslane profile image82
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

Get a new number? Make it 'unlisted'? This worked for me once. If that's too complicated you could get rid of texting feature and tell contacts you use your phone for work and/or emergency messages only.

16. MJennifer profile image92
    MJenniferposted 11 years ago

I'm a fairly direct person, but if I were concerned about injuring someone's feelings, I'd tell them, "I'm not crazy about texting, so please forgive me if I'm not keeping up with yours."  If they continue to text you, just ignore most of them and reply to those you sincerely wish to reply to.  Eventually they'll either understand, or they'll decide to take offense anyhow -- and that's not your issue, it's theirs.

I happen to dislike phones, and am constantly aggravated by needier acquaintances who depend on constant phone contact.  I'm pretty candid with them:  "I'm not a phone person.  That probably won't change."  I look at phones and computers as MY tools; I'm not their tool, and I elect when I do and don't use them.

17. Bailey13 profile image58
    Bailey13posted 11 years ago

I would say something like "I'm busy doing things around the house and when I have to stop and check my messages all the time it takes me longer to get my stuff done. I'll text you when I get done." Yea it may be a little bit of a lie but hopefully they'll stop.
    ~Bailey13

18. jennshealthstore profile image81
    jennshealthstoreposted 11 years ago

If it is a really close friend I would just say hey stop texting me all the time. I don't like it. But if it is some one who you are not that close with I would agree on not answering every one. If they ask why, just say that you are unable to text so often and sorry that you can't always answer.

19. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 11 years ago

With something as informal as texting there is NO reason to formally tell someone to text you less. Just ignore the texts and only text the person back as often as you feel like. If they're eating up your "minutes" just plainly text them back that you're running low on minutes. It doesn't have to be a big deal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)