jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do you deal with a loved one who has drinking problems.

1. Kayte profile image44
    Kayteposted 8 years ago

How do you deal with a loved one who has drinking problems.

2. rvsource profile image56
    rvsourceposted 8 years ago

Sit down with them and ask them to join a 12 step program. If they continue drinking, then take it to the next level and threaten to leave, if they don't

3. theomzone profile image57
    theomzoneposted 8 years ago

Al-Anon is your best first step. 

You can't "deal" with a person active in addiction.  You can't change or influence them in anyway.  Threats don't work - for one simple reason - they are "powerless" over their addiction.

The ONLY thing you can deal with is you.  You need tools and support.  Al-Anon is a good place to start getting those needs met.

4. karmicfilly profile image72
    karmicfillyposted 8 years ago

A good place to start would be Codependents Anonymous.
    Whether you like it or not you are a co-addict.  Learning
    how to change yourself and strengthen yourself so that
    you can make future decisions is crucial for you. 

Lots of folks enable the addict whether they know it or not.
    Making idle threats is one way to manipulate but not
    "fix" the problem.  You cannot fix them only yourself.

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 7 years ago

you have to let them go you can not torutre yourself with blame and hate they are going to do waht they feel is nesssary no matter what the wrath. you need to not enable this pearson any more he needs to hit a bottom hopefully hell hit alive this is a very seorise deaise and can be life threating i hope you know it is not your fault he is choosing to do this on his own power all you can do is love him and pray he will get help try al anon meetings you can find them were ever AA is held you need suporty and healing as well you will find it there i promise if you go you will learn alot

1. Kayte profile image44
      Kayteposted 15 months agoin reply to this

The person is my mom, so I can't let her go. But thank you for your response.

working