jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

It is said that 'opposites attract'. i believe similarities bring you closer. Wh

1. profile image44
    umme javeiahposted 7 years ago

It is said that 'opposites attract'. i believe similarities bring you closer. What do you think?

2. profile image0
    Chasukposted 7 years ago

Overall, I agree with you. The saying "opposites attract" doesn't seem to be based on experience. At least, it contradicts my experience. In a partner, I'm not necessarily looking for someone whose interests mirror mine precisely, but I certainly want to enjoy films, cuisines, and recreational activities together.

I've been married for 29 years. If I hated everything that my wife loved, and vice versa, I don't think that our relationship would have survived. Our joint pleasures bind us.

Yes, she enjoys some music that I don't, and I enjoy some films that she doesn't. But the majority of our tastes and interests overlap, which is what makes us a compatible couple.

3. divacratus profile image74
    divacratusposted 7 years ago

I agree with Chasuk. You should have some similarities with your partner, some common interests. Life will be boring together if you don't. I and my partner are very different character wise, but we have some similar interests which include visiting new places and working out.

4. mikicagle profile image91
    mikicagleposted 7 years ago

I think that opposites do attract on a more basic  subconscious level.  My husband and I have been married for 22 years and we each tend to have strengths where the other doesn't.  If we were able to combine ourselves and make one person-that person would be awesome.  For example: My husband is extremely good looking with average intelligence, I am average looking but very smart.  When situations call for someone to be a peacemaker and smooth things over-my husband is the man to call.  When situations call for someone to be firm and stand their ground, that's my job.  My husband is a realist.  He sees things for what they are and tries to keep us grounded.  I on the other hand am a dreamer and see how things could be. He is very analytical and plans things out, I fly by the seat of my pants and hope that when I land it is somewhere soft.  He is very sensible and street smart.  I lack common sense but am very book smart.  Wow-looking at my answer, I am sure glad that we found each other.

5. ineveryoneheart profile image56
    ineveryoneheartposted 7 years ago

I also think so that similarities bring you closer. Suppose you like cricket and your partner want to watch reality show then you both fight. This is the way it happend.