What do people really talk about?

1. wwriter profile image79
    wwriterposted 7 years ago

What do people really talk about?

Some people can start a conversation even with an absolute stranger. Some wonder what to talk about even with close family! What do people talk about, when there is nothing very specific or essential to convey? What is small talk?

2. jht1414 profile image91
    jht1414posted 7 years ago

I'm one of those people who can make a conversation with anyone, and I usually do when I'm standing next to someone in a long line. First I introduce myself. Then I ask them a question, usually involving where we are. So if I were in a water park, I would ask them what slides they had been on. Then I'd start saying my opinion of certain slides, and the conversation just keeps going about that until both of us are really out of things to say. Often times I'll repeat that process, but sometimes if they seem not to want to talk, I'll just be quiet and wait in line with them. So that what I talk about.

3. helendanger profile image80
    helendangerposted 7 years ago

I talk about whatever is going on around us.  And small talk is one instance where cliches are totally appropriate.  It's important to be manically upbeat in your delivery. "Is it raining?  I think I just felt a raindrop!"  "Oh I love the sunshine!"  "I always pick the longest line."  "Cool glasses! Where did you get them?"  "Oh it's so great just to sit down for a second."  Stuff like that.

The idea is to get positive agreement, not prove how brilliant you are.